If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:56 am

Indianahunter wrote:What about the blood hound test video?

That video proves that ScentLok cannot fully eliminate human odor. We all know that is true anyway. ACK shared this link that expresses well the way many of us feel about scent control: http://www.scentbuster.com/Why_Scent_Control_.html

I don't ridicule anyone for scent control or lack of. I say, take it to whatever level you feel comfortable with. And happy hunting!

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 am

I don't ridicule anyone for scent control or lack of.

Thats a good thing... I don't think anyone intends to do that here. But by explaining the facts and disscussing discrepancys in advertising vs reality some people take it as an attack against there beliefs... Its a debate. This is how we learn.
I for one have never seen any proof that any scent eliminating clothes or products do anything to help hunters, but I have seen a lot of evidence that it does not work...
I have said it before and will say it again, if scent control worked I would simply put good camo on and sneak up from behind bedded buvks and kill them in there beds... Try it sometime with your scent control.
Usually this is the point in the disscusion where the person defending there major purchases and faith in the fake hunters whom promoted this junk says, ok it don't fully work, but they smell so little of me they think I am a 1/4 mile away... Well, I have not had to many bucks jump up from there bed until I was much closer to them than a 1/4 mile so if they believe your a 1/4 mile away you should be able to sneak up from up wind and shoot them in there beds... , if that works why ever worry about the wind, all the deer that mell you think your no where close? Right? How about you follow the advertising "Just forget the wind".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am

I was more personal scent conscious 30 years ago than I am now. I used to hunt with a guy that was an auto mechanic, he would smell like gasoline, gear oil and what not. he hung as many bucks on the wall as I did being Mr. clean. Got me to thinking?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am

Stanley wrote:I was more personal scent conscious 30 years ago than I am now. I used to hunt with a guy that was an auto mechanic, he would smell like gasoline, gear oil and what not. he hung as many bucks on the wall as I did being Mr. clean. Got me to thinking?

Funny you say that, cause most of the guys I know that have no faith in scent control also have a wall full of big bucks...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:21 pm

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:I was more personal scent conscious 30 years ago than I am now. I used to hunt with a guy that was an auto mechanic, he would smell like gasoline, gear oil and what not. he hung as many bucks on the wall as I did being Mr. clean. Got me to thinking?

Funny you say that, cause most of the guys I know that have no faith in scent control also have a wall full of big bucks...

Hunting is a game of evolution. Takes time and experiences to sort out what is important and what isn't. Our biggest problem, humans are not equipped to understand how well a deer can smell.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Hunting is a game of evolution. Takes time and experiences to sort out what is important and what isn't. Our biggest problem, humans are not equipped to understand how well a deer can smell.

Right on!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:31 pm

dan wrote:

Right on!

x2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Stanley wrote:
dan wrote:

Post of the month, in more ways than just scent control, I've learned the hard way about A LOT of things.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:51 pm

NatureBoy wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:What about the blood hound test video?

That video proves that ScentLok cannot fully eliminate human odor. We all know that is true anyway. ACK shared this link that expresses well the way many of us feel about scent control: http://www.scentbuster.com/Why_Scent_Control_.html

I don't ridicule anyone for scent control or lack of. I say, take it to whatever level you feel comfortable with. And happy hunting!

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I am not dissin anyone who goes through the scent routine if it gives you confidence. I used to do it hard core. I have had ZERO negative results since not using it and playing the wind. The only thing I have ever tried that I really think worked and I don't know why exactly is smoking up my clothes. I did this and had deer down wind of me many times and they didn't seem to pay any attention to me. However I also was hunting in a deep valley and can't honestly say at that point in my hunting career that I had any idea what the thermals were doing down there as I didn't even know about them then. I do know that the smell about made me sick and gave me headache it was so potent that I washed my clothes and haven't done it since. Perhaps I should just to see the results now I have a little better idea of what the heck I am doing.
I do still wash my clothes in sports wash and take a "SCENT FREE" shower. I take the shower because I am going to take a shower in the morning anyway and it does give me a little confidence regardless of it's effectiveness if I can't smell myself :lol:
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:04 am

Great posts guys. Very logical. I can understand your points and especially like your statement, Stanley.
Stanley wrote:Hunting is a game of evolution. Takes time and experiences to sort out what is important and what isn't. Our biggest problem, humans are not equipped to understand how well a deer can smell.
I think that's dead on.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”