dan..............?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

dan..............?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:53 pm

how many of those bucks on your avitar pic were shot in hill country

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: dan..............?

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 pm

I think there is 3 in that pic... A few more in the garage that have not been mounted. One that should.
I do exceptionally well in hill country, but considering I don't live in hill country I have not killed a lot there... Hoping to spend a lot more time hunting the hills this year.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:27 pm

8-) awsome man good luck! you have my blessing :? what ever that may bring you :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:36 pm

dan wrote:I do exceptionally well in hill country, but considering I don't live in hill country I have not killed a lot there...

This has probably been talked about quite a bit, and Im sure its covered pretty well in the Hill Country DVD, but I havent seen it for a long time now, so I'll ask it anyways..

What is your general approach to the bed in hill country?? Is it like Autumn Ninja outlined in his thread, where he comes in from the bottom and sneaks up the hill at an angle?

Also, when a deer in hill country gets out of his bed, where does he typically go? I suppose that depends on where his food source is that he's heading to, but is there any type og generality such as up, down, or traverse along the side of the hill at that certain elevation??

Are the beds in hill country generally more out in the open - at that certain elevation, or do they typically try to find maybe a downed tree or some thick cover at that elevation to lay down next to?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

What is your general approach to the bed in hill country?? Is it like Autumn Ninja outlined in his thread, where he comes in from the bottom and sneaks up the hill at an angle?

The hills I am used to hunting generally do not work well hunting beds from the bottom up... I think there are some scenarios that would work like Ninja showed, and he got me thinking... But most bottom up scenarios here the buck is positioned so he can see most of the bottom and smell even more with the thermals. I usually try and attack from the top or the side of the hill not exposed to him around a corner on a point or such...

Also, when a deer in hill country gets out of his bed, where does he typically go? I suppose that depends on where his food source is that he's heading to, but is there any type og generality such as up, down, or traverse along the side of the hill at that certain elevation??
A lot of the time they make a horizontal move prior to going up or down. If a guy can get close enough that can be killer. Hunting the ones that go up seem easier for me cause of the thermals and open bottom vision issues.. Sometimes you can get to a spot in the bottom where a wind or thermal change is close enough to set up below and pull your scent a different direction. Each scenario is different. To get really good at hunting hills you really have to understand what the wind and thermals do, when they do it, and how deer react.

Are the beds in hill country generally more out in the open - at that certain elevation, or do they typically try to find maybe a downed tree or some thick cover at that elevation to lay down next to?

They are more open in comparison to farm land or swamps, but will still use some cover in most instances. Behind a fallen tree is one I see often if the tree is at the right elevation.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:10 pm

well,
from hunting hill country personaly ive found that they have two things on there mind out side of the rut when they leave their beds, water and food, so where ever that is from the bed that dictates were and how the buck is feeding and watering, a up high water scorce is key in hill country because its usally found in the valleys and down low. so like on the movie they had a water scorce up high just off to the side of a buck bedding area and dan killed an awsome buck, i think it was an 14 pointer with split brows and a kicker he thought was a drop tine.
keep in mined they dont always go down to feed! i have a cople of beds located for this year that are less than 200 yards from the back feild. they bed then get a drink at the water scorce till dark and move to the feild. ill go shinning just after dark and thier will be at least to good bucks out there, and you know there bedding close when they run back into the woods the same woods im hunting.
usally they follow the same elevation line or thermal tunnel untill they decied were there going or wiat untill the thermals change to go down. personaly ive seen bucks stageing on a totally wrong moon phase an hour before dark, BUT NOT HUNTING THEM ONLY GLASSING FROM DISTANCE! hunting those situations are difficult becuse of the thermal tunnel
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
dan wrote:I do exceptionally well in hill country, but considering I don't live in hill country I have not killed a lot there...

This has probably been talked about quite a bit, and Im sure its covered pretty well in the Hill Country DVD, but I havent seen it for a long time now, so I'll ask it anyways..

The hill country I hunt and approach is like Ninja I have to approach from the bottom up. However just because your approaching from the bottom up doesn't mean your pushing your deer out in front of you in the mornings or giving yor self away in the evenings. I use an out of the way roundabout approach to get where I'm going. Sometimes I end up 300 yards from the bottom where I would have a short walk but end up hiking 3/4 of a mile out of the way to the top and drop down to get there.
cornfedkiller wrote:Also, when a deer in hill country gets out of his bed, where does he typically go? I suppose that depends on where his food source is that he's heading to, but is there any type og generality such as up, down, or traverse along the side of the hill at that certain elevation???

Typically the ones I hunt are traveling the same elevation that they bed before dropping down or going up. Depends on the food source whether up or down but traveling the same elevation gives them a chance to check the thermals and wind and listen to other animals and the sounds they are making for danger.
cornfedkiller wrote:

Like Dan said it's more open in mature woods but typically they look for some kind of cover also whether it be a downed tree or a point where maybe a treetop allowed some underbrush to grow to make it a little thicker.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:36 am

dan wrote:I think there is 3 in that pic....

What terrain were all of those bucks killed in? Mostly marsh / swamp or farm land?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:07 pm

GRFox wrote:
dan wrote:I think there is 3 in that pic....

What terrain were all of those bucks killed in? Mostly marsh / swamp or farm land?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Pretty much a mix of each type..
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Dan what is your opinion of hunting public land in hill country during the rut ? Will mature bucks still follow that same 1/3 from the top that you talk about in "hill country bucks", like cuts and pinch points or does a guy have to move to the thick stuff because of pressure?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm

mcmidc wrote:Dan what is your opinion of hunting public land in hill country during the rut ? Will mature bucks still follow that same 1/3 from the top that you talk about in "hill country bucks", like cuts and pinch points or does a guy have to move to the thick stuff because of pressure?

Thats a loaded question thats answer is dependant on the amount of pressure... But in general getting opertunitys on decent bucks in the prerut on public hill country most often come for me hunting the elevation where the wind meets the thermal. I use topo's to find where the most likely intersections of several cruising trails will meet or base on doe bedding... I don't often see pressure as a concern in most Wisconsin hill country public land spots... I do see the bigger bucks not participating in the cruiseing as much as the 2 and 3 year olds though, and sometimes need to hunt buck bedding areas even in the rut to get opertunitys at the mature bucks.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 am

dan wrote:
mcmidc wrote:Dan what is your opinion of hunting public land in hill country during the rut ? Will mature bucks still follow that same 1/3 from the top that you talk about in "hill country bucks", like cuts and pinch points or does a guy have to move to the thick stuff because of pressure?

Thats a loaded question thats answer is dependant on the amount of pressure... But in general getting opertunitys on decent bucks in the prerut on public hill country most often come for me hunting the elevation where the wind meets the thermal. I use topo's to find where the most likely intersections of several cruising trails will meet or base on doe bedding... I don't often see pressure as a concern in most Wisconsin hill country public land spots... I do see the bigger bucks not participating in the cruiseing as much as the 2 and 3 year olds though, and sometimes need to hunt buck bedding areas even in the rut to get opertunitys at the mature bucks.

Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread but thanks for the tips. I guess I'm just so use to the pressure I see in some of the more heavily pressured marsh areas in Wisconsin and just assumed you'd see that on public in Hill Country too. Thinking about just taking some roadtrips this year and hunting some public hill country areas. It seems like a waste to sit in more open areas (areas accessible without knee high boots) in the East/Southeast part of the state after the first week of season.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:01 am

Yea... I live in S.E. Wisconsin and the pressure has been pretty bad in recent years. Its refreshing to head an hour west and have large propertys to myself.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:29 am

i know exactly how you feel i have the same problem dan, i love escaping to gods country for a week it cleans the soul
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”