How many bucks by rattling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

How many 130+ class bucks by rattling?

75%
1 or 2
18%
3 or 4
5%
5 or 6
No votes
more than 6
2%

Total votes: 57
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: How many bucks by rattling?

Unread postby Dor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 am

" Like DOR said, I just hammer the horns and let the cards fall where they may."

I failed to mention when I rattle I do it as hard as I possibly can. Usually to the point where you can smell the horns burning....no lie you can actually smell them heating up. :shock:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:31 am

Dor wrote:" Like DOR said, I just hammer the horns and let the cards fall where they may."

I failed to mention when I rattle I do it as hard as I possibly can. Usually to the point where you can smell the horns burning....no lie you can actually smell them heating up. :shock:

Yes, same here. My highest success is during rut and when I put black marks on the horns from making them spark up and burn. I also have slowly been chipping pieces off over the years. I'd say my horns are both 8-10 inches smaller from breaks during. Hard rattling.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:36 am

Dor wrote:" Like DOR said, I just hammer the horns and let the cards fall where they may."

I agree Dor. Nothing like the smell of antler in the fall. The past two years I have taken my buck by bow because of rattling. I hunt SE Wisconsin all on public and there are so few does because of CWD/EAB so it is like texas with the doe/buck ratio. Two years ago it was a 2 1/2 and this past year it was a 3 1/2, but neither broke the 130" mark. I only like to rattle in thick areas and I make sure I have some branches that I can break around me. I find that the bucks will investigate a little more if they can't see all that far. Also when they are coming in, but not on a string I will just break a branch instead of grunting alot of times... it sucked in a REAL nice one four or fives years ago, but I will chalk the miss up to buck fever :o
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

I've rattled 3 bucks in over the years but only got an arrow in one of them.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I answered zero... I have rattled in a bunch of 1.5-2.5 year olds to arrow range, even rattled up a couple nice 3.5-4.5 but they always seem to hang up at 50-75 yards and look, then circle downwind = game over. I figure now just leave the antlers behing except during that few days right prior to Halloween... less to carry and I just don't have confidence in it. Maybe in IL, MO, or Iowa/Kansas I will give it another try down the road. It would be nice to be in an area where they can't circle downwind or in a thick area where they have to be on top of the sound to see it
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I am quite sure rattling success varys depending on where you are hunting... I have been on public land where I can hear several hunters rattling on the same evening and they each rattle every 20 minutes from there same position... Fooling a deer under those conditions would be pretty tough.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:07 pm

dan wrote:I am quite sure rattling success varys depending on where you are hunting... I have been on public land where I can hear several hunters rattling on the same evening and they each rattle every 20 minutes from there same position... Fooling a deer under those conditions would be pretty tough.

Exactly. There are places I won't rattle because of the other idiots out there.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 pm

dan wrote:I am quite sure rattling success varys depending on where you are hunting... I have been on public land where I can hear several hunters rattling on the same evening and they each rattle every 20 minutes from there same position... Fooling a deer under those conditions would be pretty tough.

I know between the ages of 17-21 I was constantly banging antler bags or tiny 2yr old antlers together mid Oct-early Nov... I used to quit hunting around the 5th or 6th of November back then too as I was burnt out from hunting opening weekend thru Nov :lol: Some things you just gotta learn the hard way I guess :oops:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am

bump
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am

Never really rattled much.

but I am considering it at one of my spots this year.

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20001

Seemingly more bucks than does in this area in general (from what I have seen on cam). I was wondering when/how if at all rattling might be productive at this spot?

Suggestions?

I have never really considered rattling too much but the intel I have here has peaked my interest.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:16 pm

I have never rattled in and seen a single deer. I think I either do it wrong or the deer just don't care, or they responded and circled downwind where I didn't see them before they busted me.

I have a good piece of private where there are a lot of bucks but a ton of does, not sure If it might work there or not. Frankly I still like the ambush during the rut.

I usually carry the horns during the rut but that may be coming to an end real soon as thats a pound that could easily be eliminated. For the record I use a rattle bag.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 pm

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:46 pm

I have never had any luck rattling one in... Last year I tried a bit of rattling during the rut, I was set-up close to a field edge in the morning. There was a mild fog covering in the field in front of me as the sun began to rise.. I let off a couple of rattles before I could fully see out into the field... a couple minutes after rattling I saw the tail end of a buck leaving the field away from my direction :naughty:

So I guess my question would be when and where do you guys rattle? And of those combinations what has given you the most success?
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Call in a bunch of bucks every year by rattling, only ever called in 1 that might have been close to 130 though. Never got a shot at him.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:26 am

There are idiots everywhere I hunt. I have never had a mature buck respond, only younger deer, typically 2.5 yrs old. Calling is just not my style, I prefer to carry very little and rely on stealth and location. I have had much better success calling by just a snort wheeze with my mouth or nose and those are always with me!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”