How many bucks by rattling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many 130+ class bucks by rattling?

75%
1 or 2
18%
3 or 4
5%
5 or 6
No votes
more than 6
2%

Total votes: 57
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: How many bucks by rattling?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 am

I've rattled in a bunch of deer that have led to kills. I don't do it as much as I used to but I'm just more selective when I do it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 pm

bump
uzi

Unread postby uzi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:40 pm

I did it a lot 5-6 years ago and called several buck in but nothing over 3 1/2. The big boys are just too smart. If you pay attention to all the hunting shows they say it works so great but its mostly 2' and 3's. If that's what your after then I think its a worth while tactic.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:52 pm

GRFox wrote:If you try and rattle in a buck around here I think the bucks actually laugh at you. We have the second highest amount of bowhunters per square mile. And 3/4 of them try and rattle deer. So basically what im saying is all of these idiots get circled down wind because none of them do anything strategically and get winded every time. So Limo and the opinion of a lot of other good hunters in my area, bigger bucks associate the sound of rattling with people and don't even bother. Im sure you could rattle in some 1 or 2 year olds but that's about it in my area.

Im in the same boat... Any types of calls basically say a hunter is here. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of people that hunt the stateland I hunt every year maybe a handful actually know what they r doing. The others are totally clueless and just educate the deer. 20 yrs ago they opened up the turkey season in the spring over here after reintroducing them. For the first 5 yrs or so they gave out 25 permits for the whole county per season. The turkeys came running to any call. Now they give out 500 or so n you cant get a turkey to gobble for nothing n if they do they sure don't come in to the call and usually head the other way. They get smart fast and pass it on.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 pm

My vote was zero, but to be honest I don't rattle a lot. You here so many stories of guys rattling in bucks but I guess I'm always worried I'm gonna scare off more bucks than I attract.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I have not had good luck with rattling. Only bucks I have had that have responded to it were year and half old bucks. Never anything older than that.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Great topic. I did a bunch of rattling years ago, with no success. I hunt smaller areas and with my low impact approach I hate to give up my position. My success went way up when I quit rattling. If I hunted huge tracks I would do more rattling. I hunt some pretty small parcels 125 acres, 110 acres, 125 acres, 250 acres, 400 being the biggest. There are also 3 or more hunters on each property so I don't want them to hear me making noise. I have rattled in a few scrub bucks but have never killed one rattling. I haven't clashed horns for many years now, I just don't need to.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”