UV in Camo

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beauford

UV in Camo

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:18 am

Is this a big deal if you camo outfit has not been treated for the UV. Can the deer pick you out from the glowing as they say. Anybody have any issues with any of this?

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: UV in Camo

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:59 am

I believe they can, but again its one of those things you have to believe in the science behind it. Ive heard guys say they hunt in blue jeans and kill deer, yet I have been in full camo and had deer walk into range and look right up at me. One year was the worst for me. I even had 1.5yr old bucks running thru the woods chasing a spike horn (he must have gotten some and smelled like a hot doe) and when they got 30yds or so from me they locked up the brakes as they stared up at me and whirled around and ran off. The only deer that didn't was the spike being chased. I was 30ft up in a tree and didn't even move cause I had no intention of shooting those deer. I was getting busted like that all season. One day I decided to wash my camo and asked my wife where my UV free soap was? She said that stuff ran out a long time ago, been using normal laundry soap all season. I about flipped. I tried the UV blocker that they sell and had mixed results with the black light test. Some clothes are bad and Ive had them dripping wet and still reflecting UV rays. About that time I found ASAT and one of the selling points is no UV in their material. I switched and have been very happy. I did have a doe notice me last year, but she went back and forth trying to figure me out. While I cant say for sure, if I would have had UV reflecting off my clothes I bet she would have bolted at first sight.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

kenn1320 wrote:. One day I decided to wash my camo and asked my wife where my UV free soap was? She said that stuff ran out a long time ago, been using normal laundry soap all season. I about flipped..

:lol: sorry kenn but thats good stuff....I don't worry about the UV thing too much, I've only used detergent with no UV brighteners and never had a deer pick me off even when i was on the ground or just a few feet up a tree.....They do sell the UV terminator spray but until i experience otherwise, i think just sitting still works fine.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 am

Well certain detergents and dies certainly give off uv rays, I have seen it personally, it is primarily from Chinese manufactured clothing. The US military will not buy uniforms manufatured in China because of the UV light being detected by guard dogs. I definitely think it is worth treating your clothes. However I believe whole heartidly for stand hunters that motion is the primary concern and culprit for getting busted and camo and UV treatment are secondary. And sadly part of this whole thing is tech savvy marketing as it has not been 100% determined how deer see. It can't hurt and if it gives you confidence while on stand what is $10?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am

I would like to add to what Indianahunter stated in the last response. I believe that lack of movement is a key, but also want to point out that good background cover or positioning your stand behind the tree, so as to have the trunk between you and the approaching deer is key. When I can, I will choose a multi-trunked tree over a straight single-trunk tree. This greatly limits the use of a climber, but can allow you more cover and/or movement due to the positioning of the animal in relation to the stand. My advice, use the UV killer, hunt higher if no cover is available and/or utilize good back cover when choosing a stand. :D

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 am

There have been studies, that show deer DO NOT have a UV filter like humans have, meaning they can see UV, people can't. Take it for what it's worth, but I believe they can pick you out easier, especially in lower light situations if your clothing has UV brighteners.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 am

a guy on a well known archery site did his own test and found that UV killer had almost zero effect on fabric made with UV. he even went as far to send the one shirt to the maker of UV killer, they used an entire bottle on it and it still wouldnt stop glowing.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 am

I know the UV killer does kill UV that enters your clothing though UV brighteners in soap.

And deer definetly see UV. Just ask my cousin. Poor guy got busted by EVERY SINGLE DEER that walked by him. Didn't matter if the wind was in his favor or not, he would be absolutely still 25 feet up and every deer would come in and look directly at him and take off.

Even had deer come in from behind him and get busted.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 am

I have never paid much attention to it... I don't think deer wander around the woods with black lights checking for UV, But I do believe they can see some of it, just not to the exaggeration of a black light. It should also be said that a lot of trees have fungus that also glows under black light and gives off UV... If your against that tree and not useing the clothes that glow you would stand out :lol:
Anywho, I very seldom have deer bust me by sight so I ain't worried about it.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 am

dan wrote:I have never paid much attention to it... I don't think deer wander around the woods with black lights checking for UV, But I do believe they can see some of it, just not to the exaggeration of a black light. It should also be said that a lot of trees have fungus that also glows under black light and gives off UV... If your against that tree and not useing the clothes that glow you would stand out :lol:
Anywho, I very seldom have deer bust me by sight so I ain't worried about it.

interesting point
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks for the input. Just was wondering, cause with some of the new camo the dies that they are using to make them stand out are using the uv not to bleed them together. Never even thought about the military and the camo they use. I was just looking around what you guys think about Safariflage or the other types looking good for hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”