Hunting on tv...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Hunting on tv...

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Recently added a sports package onto our uverse service. Got sportsmans channel and outdoor channel. I cannot believe all the hunting shows on the air! Many more than years ago when there was only a few hunting shows on. And damn they are always shooting these great bucks. So I got to wondering? How many of these "celebrity hunters", do you really think could go out into the type of areas alot of us are limited to...(public land) and get the kind of opportunities they get for their shows? Now this is not a bash on any of those celebs....and i am sure some of them could probably go out on the places I hunt and get it done, but I bet it is not very many of them. Who do you think could get it done on highly pressured land? I also see there is a fantasy hunting league????Seriously? What the is that? Unbelievable...

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Zap

Re: Hunting on tv...

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Its hard to kill whats not there..that being said, I am sure there are alot of pro's that could do OK on public.
But not the same as on the leases, outfitters and preserves.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 pm

I heard this time and time again. I think people don't understand these TV shows. They are for entertainment! These producers have to get tons of footage to "entertain" us. The more they entertain us, the more we watch, so they in turn can get more money from their sponsors. It's a business. It's no different than a sit com. To get quality footage they go to places that are target rich. The ability of these hunters? Who knows? Who cares? That's show biz! :lol:
It's like asking how good of a boxer Sylvester Stallone is.
If anything they are a lot smarter than me because they get to hunt cool places and shoot monster bucks and get paid to do it.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:50 pm

I understand that these shows are for entertainment purposes. I was simply curious as to what people thought of them and there abilities. I know some of them have proven their abilities, but many I have never even heard of. They sure do got a good gig though!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Very good point magic, when you look at it like that it makes perfect sense. I use to kind of get annoyed at all the tv hunters shooting nice bucks on all these managed farms while I struggled on public land. Then I just stopped caring, I still watch the shows every now and then, purely for entertain ment as you put it. It gets you fire up for the season and it's fun to see all the different deer they shoot regaurdless of where or how they shoot them.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I love huntig shows. I don't think any of them can make me a better hunter except one. Bowhunter TV. My two favorite are that one and Arrow Affliction. I do believe Brooks Johnson could get it done. I like watching how well he can shoot. Its also fun seeing him take his family out and do things with all his kids. Its just good TV.

To be honest it takes a lot of hard work and long hours in the woods proving their selves before they can get sponsored. At least we don't have reality shows like Next Top Hunter or American Hunter. Maybe Mathews or Hoyt could do an Extreme Make Over Hunter Edition. I would let them come make over my hunting equipment.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:10 pm

I recently posed a question asking this group if they would rather see a show with all big bucks done by Andrae, (whitetail addictions ) or see him work with me on a show that covered a more tactical (teach you something ) approach Beast style and was shocked to see that a lot of you would rather see Andrae work with Whitetail addictions style of hunting.
To me personally, I would much rather see tactical with a lot of public hunts mixed in and show how the hunters do it.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:19 pm

I was simply curious as to what people thought of them and there abilities.

I know if the Lakowski's or Waddall frequented this page, they would show some impressive shooting skills on the 60yd challenge post. :D

Bowhunter TV. My two favorite are that one and Arrow Affliction

X2, but arrow affliction is my favorite. He shoots trad and compound and some of those viewer challenges are pretty cool.

Yes they make it look easy, but from what Im finding its not. They use guides and sometimes still dont close the deal. I personally get burned out on all day sits and towards the end of season I need a break from hunting. These people have to do it constantly and it has likely turned into a job for them. Now if I was hunting land with bucks like them, well maybe Id find a way to handle it. :mrgreen:
Im glad we have shows like those, it shows everybody what a deer looks like if you dont shoot it at 1.5yrs old. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 pm

"I recently posed a question asking this group if they would rather see a show with all big bucks done by Andrae, (whitetail addictions ) or see him work with me on a show that covered a more tactical (teach you something ) approach Beast style and was shocked to see that a lot of you would rather see Andrae work with Whitetail addictions style of hunting.

To me personally, I would much rather see tactical with a lot of public hunts mixed in and show how the hunters do it."
I am a bit suprised that most would want to see that too. I would have thought a tactical approach would have been the more sought after type of show. I would like to see a show that I could relate to and be taught other peoples tactics on the types of land I hunt. Let's face it, not all of us have places where we can pass up a 140-150 inch buck because there is a bigger one around.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 am

I personally don't care on how well a guy can shoot at 60 yards. The fact of these guys potraying hunting like they do sickens me. Everytime I watch any of those big name celebrity hunting shows I just pick apart everything they do. Its nothing like most of you think it is. For instance MOST to all of the shots where they show the hunter drawing back and show the hunter say "OH HERE HE COMES" is FAKE. If they don't get that the time they hunt they will go back the next morning or afternoon or similar type day and film it just to get it. They will actually film recoveries as many times until they get the one they look the best in. You can never replace a recovery with the first reaction and smile on your face. All theirs are nothing but FAKE. They make the show how they want to entertain the watchers to make what they think the hunters want to see and looks cool. But really I want REAL hunting and 80% of the shows are Fake. The only stuff I will watch is White Knuckle Productions, Whitetails Inc. Webshow, anything Lonewolf, Whitetail Adrenaline, and Heartland Bowhunters.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 am

I don't think any of them could beat any of the Beasts on public Land ;) Some of them are deer farmers and raise deer on literally hundereds of acres and shoot them on camera when they are Mature enough. Fair chase and no high fences :? The rest hunt all over the country with outfitters in the best areas..They aint no better than you or I ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:52 am

Hunting shows are nothing more than infomercials for products and outfitters etc. But to have a show thats how its gotta be to pay for everything.

Also, I think that hunting for a living would make it less enjoyable having to keep all the sponsors happy and traveling so much. And all of the pressure to get it done.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 am

I'm with Dan as I would WAY prefer to watch a "learning show" vs a "shooting show". I have had my fill of shooting shows to the point where I will no longer watch ANY of them. The way these guys change sponsers for an additional buck also makes me laugh.

Last year's rage on any show can be dumped this year for an additional dollar and now this "Pro" hunter is telling me what he/she is being sponsered by this year is so much better than what he/she was using last year. :roll:
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:22 am

I too would much rather watch the tactical approach.

Not sure if I would ever want to make a show like whats on tv right now. I was paid to fish at one point and after a year of the traveling to shows, doing demonstrations, writing blogs, keeping up with forums, guiding.... I didnt fly fish for an entire year. My fly tying passion has never been the same since I had to fish all day then go home and tie all night to fish again the next day. I used to sit down and tie ten dozen flies at a time. Im lucky now if I can do a dozen without losing interest.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 am

It seems to me that TV is for entertainment. Those who want to learn will read or watch instructional videos. I dont believe people watch tv to learn they watch it because they dont want to think.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”