how do i hunt this buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

how do i hunt this buck

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Image how do i hunt a buck when theres no setup able tree around? there isnt a tree for 100 yards, the bucks bed is in red, his trails leading out are in orange

this isnt the buck from last post differnt spot public land

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Re: how do i hunt this buck

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:29 pm

If you can get into 100 yards without busting him, I would sneak in from the road thru that narrow strip of trees and hope for the best. Sometimes the cover and terrain dictate how close you can get to a bedded buck. 40 yards is not always possible. That's gonna be a chore on that one without getting seen or heard?? Looks like an early season spot so you can utilize the foilage in those strips of trees. Could you set up on the ground also??
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:31 pm

could but dont know were and how im new to marsh hunting any suggestions :? i would need a bug suit also the skeeters are bad :shock:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:10 pm

bow or gun?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:16 pm

I've never actually done this myself but if you were hunting from the ground setup downwind of the trail you think he is going to exit and open up two small lanes to his trail, one to identify the buck and the other to shoot him. Make sure not do this at a 90 degree angle to the trail, you want the buck to pass by you and have the shooting/sight lanes at an angle so it's much hard for the deer to see anything suspisious. It might be wise to soft bump him and clear some lanes now. Or you could also try it the day you setup but that might be difficult to do and not spook him, maybe use a stick to open up a shooting lane right next to his trail so he doesn't pick up any scent.

Is he bedding under a lone tree or any huntable trees? You might consider setting up on him in the morning when the moon will have him feeding late. That might even be the best way to hunt this deer.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Zap wrote:bow or gun?

bow i hunt hill country gun
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 pm

S/W wind use a boat or canoe and quietly access the west side.

Sneak in and set up in that last tree at the X.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:55 pm

BTW, I think the trail that goes to the road actually is a trail TO the bed.....from the south.

Good luck.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 pm

I am not familiar with hunting marsh and I am not a seasoned hunter but, If it were me and I could set up a stand, I would set it up in the tip of the tree line to the left that is shaped like an upside down L. If you look at these maps like this you can see trails. I see one going straight over to the tip of that tree line. The trick would be finding out what time he comes through. You would have cover all the way in from the road also. I may be wrong on this one and probably am but, thats where I would start. If I am wrong would someone tell me and why? I am trying to get better at this.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:48 am

headgear wrote:I've never actually done this myself but if you were hunting from the ground setup downwind of the trail you think he is going to exit and open up two small lanes to his trail, one to identify the buck and the other to shoot him. Make sure not do this at a 90 degree angle to the trail, you want the buck to pass by you and have the shooting/sight lanes at an angle so it's much hard for the deer to see anything suspisious. It might be wise to soft bump him and clear some lanes now. Or you could also try it the day you setup but that might be difficult to do and not spook him, maybe use a stick to open up a shooting lane right next to his trail so he doe.

I like the sound of this idea headgear.... I have never tried it either, but sure sounds like a good idea...... Didn't Dan also take a step ladder into a marsh more than once and use this as his treestand ?
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 am

I would try hunting him from the ground, Headgear has a pretty good idea. My dad shot a nice 8 several years ago with Headgears plan minus the soft bump and very similar land layout to what you have. Good luck.
Didnt the ladder break on Dan?
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

Does the picture represent North as the top of the picture or where is north?
I would look at coming up the outside edge of that crop field thats dirt in the pic. You may be suprised that he could be feeding in that very crop field so the wind is crucial.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 am

yes north is the top of the map
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:04 pm

I would sit back and spend a few days watching from a distance first, that would be my step one, especially if you know a good one is in there, assuming you would be able to see him move.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

IMO i would start with spotting the fields to the south and if you dont see him i would put the trail cameras out in the fields nearby and try to figure out how he is coming out with what wind b4 i ever worry about stand placement

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”