Keeping a bow for 10 years?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sticknstringarchery

Keeping a bow for 10 years?

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 am

The other day my wife and I were at lunch. She told me she figured out what she wanted for christmas. This is when we both buy each other things we normally wouldn't buy each other or our selves. She loves to cook and is really great at it. She said she wants a set of pots and pans that are around $350-$400. I told her that if we put down a down payment on the Hoyt Carbon Matrix or Element for me, I would agree and keep the bow for 10 years. I don't see anything wrong with this. I was looking at buying the Hoyt Rampage XT and was planning on keeping it no less than 5 years. I don't see the point in going out every season and buying a new $600+ bow. It seams that a lot of guys do this just to be able to say look what I bought and get the reaction of man that sone sweet bow. Anyways, what is your thoughts on keeping a bow like this for 10 years?

Uncle Lou

Re: Keeping a bow for 10 years?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:49 am

My current bow, a Mathews Rival Pro, is about 13 years old. Been looking to upgrade myself. So I would think I would keep the next one around 10 years.

The advancements in the last 10-15 years in bows is pretty amazing. And not just the bows but the accessories and arrows.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 am

This is what I thought also until I started researching it and this is what I found. I have done a little research on the actual amount of advancements. I am actually surprised. Here is what I found.

Lets take a quick look back 17 years ago and compare it to now. The 300FPS mark has been hit for many, many years now. Take the Mathews 3-D Hunter Produced from 1994-1996. Specs: 318fps, Brace height of 8.125", ATA 39", DW 75lb, Bow Weight: 4.5lb. Now look at the Mathews Z7 Extreme: 330fps, Brace Height: 7-3/8", ATA 28", DW 70lbs Bow weight: 3.98lb. As far as speed goes, we have gained 12fps in 17 years. As far as weight goes, we have lost .52lb. in that same amount of time. Yes the ATA is 11" shorter now and thats great but, do we really need a bow less than 32"?

So you can see how surprised I was at this. Just reasures me that the Hoyt wont be that much less advanced after 10 years.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:08 am

I almost said they continue to get shorter, lighter, and faster. Interesting point on the speed.

However, they are getting shorter, lighter, and the tolerances on everything from the bows to the pins, and rests are pretty amazing.

I think that the groups of shooters employing new bows and accessories are getting smaller and allowing us to shoot farther. And I agree with your thinking that you should have a 10 year weapon.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:27 am

The ATA's are getting shorter I give you that and a little lighter. I personally believe 32" is short enough. 17 years and .52lb. Not a big improvement there. I honestly believe the accessories have been the most improved. Those are things that can be replaced and not cost a fortune. SIghts, rest and stabilizers. Arrows too. Even the cheapest carbon arrows of today are way more advanced than the most advanced alluminum of years ago.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 am

My bow will be in its 6th year this season so it's getting up there but I haven't really found a reason to buy a new one just yet, I think 10 years out of a bow is very do-able.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

Going on 16 or 17 years with my recurve, can't remember which one. Lot of people laugh when I tell them how long I've had my bow for and others admire It. A 300.00 dollar bow will kill deer just as good as a 1000.00 dollar bow. Whatever turns your crank.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:12 am

But man...that carbon matrix is sweet looking! I used to buy a new bow every year or two...Now I really see no need . I shoot a mathews drenalin and shoot it proficiently. Is a new bow going to improve my shooting? NO. Is a new bow going to get me more deer? No. I have had this bow since 2006 0r 07?? Unless something happens to it I do not think I will be buying a new one. I hope it lasts 10 years. I think any of todays bows should last 10 years. For what they get for them they should last 20!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 am

I think bows will hit the "plateau" for technology in the next couple years so a bow like a carbon riser hoyt should last as long as you want it to. Just make sure you shoot lots of them if you want to settle down for ten years.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

My personal issue was finding a bow with a big enough brace height to make me comfortable. Nothing wrong with 7 inches but when I found a bow shooting 320+ fps and with an 8 1/2 inch brace height I jumped on it 3 years ago, dont' know when I'll get rid of my PSE X Force Long Draw.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:47 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:I think bows will hit the "plateau" for technology in the next couple years so a bow like a carbon riser hoyt should last as long as you want it to. Just make sure you shoot lots of them if you want to settle down for ten years.

I have shot everything from the Element down to the Bowtech Assasin and everything in between. The only two brands I think I have over looked are the Elite and the Strother. I have held the G5 and was not a fan of the handle. Thats the first thing to me. If the handle doesn't feel right, I am done. I wont even draw it back. The Bear products to me have horible handles. Its kind of like a Glock vs S&W. I can't get past the way a Glock feels to even shoot it. The S&W M&P had me from the grip on. There is just something about the way the Hoyt bows, all of them feel in my hand. The Element is just s more refined Hoyt feeling. There were alot of them that I liked. Such as the Assasin, Invassion and the Winchester 345 I think it is labeled.

I have been thinking about it the past couple days. My wife also shoots and this will be her first season period and she is going all bow. No rifles or anything period. She says that is the only way to hunt. I agree. She has been wanting a Hoyt Vicxen. IMO it is the best female bow on the market and the fastest. I think I am going to make her think that we are puting down a payment on the element but, really be puting down monay on the Rampage XT for me and the Vicxen for her. If she is willing to wait to get her bow so that I can have the Element, she deserves to have the bow she wants. To me seeing her face when I show up to the house with that will be worth more to me than 20 years of hunting with the Element.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Pretty amazing now that a 34 inch bow is considered long!! :shock: :lol: My bow is 31.5 with a 7.5 inch Brace. Great blend of speed, shootability and lightweight. Very quiet too with no vibration or hand shock. Bows 10 years ago were loud and about jumped out of your hand. Todays bows are so easy to tune and keep in tune and such a pleasure to shoot. I agree with RBW that archery technology is ready to plateau soon....
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

I average 8-10 years with bows. See nothing wrong with it. Current one is a 2005 Switchback and plan on plenty more seasons out of it.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:15 pm

sticknstringarchery wrote:
RaisedByWolves wrote:I think bows will hit the "plateau" for technology in the next couple years so a bow like a carbon riser hoyt should last as long as you want it to. Just make sure you shoot lots of them if you want to settle down for ten years.

I have shot everything from the Element down to the Bowtech Assasin and everything in between. The only two brands I think I have over looked are the Elite and the Strother. I have held the G5 and was not a fan of the handle. Thats the first thing to me. If the handle doesn't feel right, I am done. I wont even draw it back. The Bear products to me have horible handles. Its kind of like a Glock vs S&W. I can't get past the way a Glock feels to even shoot it. The S&W M&P had me from the grip on. There is just something about the way the Hoyt bows, all of them feel in my hand. The Element is just s more refined Hoyt feeling. There were alot of them that I liked. Such as the Assasin, Invassion and the Winchester 345 I think it is labeled.

I have been thinking about it the past couple days. My wife also shoots and this will be her first season period and she is going all bow. No rifles or anything period. She says that is the only way to hunt. I agree. She has been wanting a Hoyt Vicxen. IMO it is the best female bow on the market and the fastest. I think I am going to make her think that we are puting down a payment on the element but, really be puting down monay on the Rampage XT for me and the Vicxen for her. If she is willing to wait to get her bow so that I can have the Element, she deserves to have the bow she wants. To me seeing her face when I show up to the house with that will be worth more to me than 20 years of hunting with the Element.

I think that is an awesome idea 8-) good for you ...by the way the only difference between the rampage xt and the carbon element is the carbon riser vs. magnesium riser, all other dimensions/features are identical...enjoy the money you saved and get some sweet accessories! The Vicxen is a hot bow, did you ever look at the heartbreaker?? just like the assassin but a ladies version, another good bow for the $$ good luck
When better is possible, good is never good enough
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 am

I use to buy a new compound about every 3yrs., but when I bought my last one 9yrs ago I told myself I wasn't going to buy another compound until they came out with one that would do something a lot better than the one I had.

Really doesn't matter anymore anyway since I went back to recurve last yr (after over 40yrs hunting with compounds) and haven't picked up a compound since. Nothing against compounds, I just like shooting without sights, using fingers, lightweight and all that goes with hunting with recurve bows.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”