Cameras, How close is too close?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sticknstringarchery

Cameras, How close is too close?

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:55 pm

I am getting my first trail cam this coming week. I have a mineral station I want to put it on. I have trees from as close as 8' on out I also have a cedar that has an old rub from last season that is 3' from it. there is a heavilly traveled trail that is about 20' from the cedar I want to catch on camera also. The camera has a 40' range on it for the sensor and flash. I don't want to spook any of my deer which is one reason I have chosed an IR camera. So how close is too close?

BigHunt

Re: Cameras, How close is too close?

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:12 pm

10 to 15 yards would be good enough you dont want it in there face
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:15 pm

I would stay approximately 20' away. Too close and you won't get the whole deer in the pic. You can mount it high 6' or so looking downward or lower to the ground. Try not to put it at eye level with the deer. Try and face your camera north. East and west you'll get false triggers from the sun hitting weeds and leaves.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:17 pm

bighunt wrote:10 to 15 yards would be good enough you dont want it in there face

So you ar esaying 30-45'? The sensor only senses out to 40' or so it is supposed to anyways. I see pics that look like they are 10' or so away.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:20 pm

JRM6868 wrote:I would stay approximately 20' away. Too close and you won't get the whole deer in the pic. You can mount it high 6' or so looking downward or lower to the ground. Try not to put it at eye level with the deer. Try and face your camera north. East and west you'll get false triggers from the sun hitting weeds and leaves.

It will be facing either east or south east and I figured on placing it around my head high and angeling it down so that I could get a good shot of any head gear.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Just watch facing into the rising and settig sun because of the false triggers. Nothing worse than getting your pics and have 150 pics of weeds. Also too close depending on trigger speed and you can miss the entire pic because it takes too long for the camera to warm up

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:29 am

Over mineral I will usually place the camera 8-10 ft away.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 am

Imagethis photo was taken seven feet away from scrape perfect shot
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 am

I don't want to spook any of my deer which is one reason I have chosed an IR camera. So how close is too close?

The IR not scaring deer can be false, depending on your deer in your area. Be on the safe side and put it up about 6-7ft min and angle it down. I have a flash IR homebrew (doesnt stay glowing red like the store bought IR cams). If I have it at deer level, they see the box and when they study it, likely see the IR flash. My friend has a Truth 46 and scared the out of deer in the area he used it at deer height. Over 90% of deer in the dark were pics of them looking right at it and after a few days the deer were all running in the pictures past it. Only thing that it didnt bother was the turkeys. I put mine about 10 - 12 ft up and on a 45 deg angle, so the mineral source is 10-12 ft from the tree. Helps hide the cam from criminals as well.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 am

kenn1320 wrote:
I don't want to spook any of my deer which is one reason I have chosed an IR camera. So how close is too close?

The IR not scaring deer can be false, depending on your deer in your area. Be on the safe side and put it up about 6-7ft min and angle it down. I have a flash IR homebrew (doesnt stay glowing red like the store bought IR cams). If I have it at deer level, they see the box and when they study it, likely see the IR flash. My friend has a Truth 46 and scared the out of deer in the area he used it at deer height. Over 90% of deer in the dark were pics of them looking right at it and after a few days the deer were all running in the pictures past it. Only thing that it didnt bother was the turkeys. I put mine about 10 - 12 ft up and on a 45 deg angle, so the mineral source is 10-12 ft from the tree. Helps hide the cam from criminals as well.

This is not the first time I have heard about the Trith 46. Apparently it has a really bright IR.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”