Using your lone wolf climbing sticks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Using your lone wolf climbing sticks?

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:57 am

Guys I just bought a set of the sticks last season. I only used them a few times, since I had most of my stands pre-hung. Anyway, this year, I am hunting a new property, and am going to use the sticks for each and every setup. I'm somewhat excited by this, because I'll likely be hunting out of different trees everyday.
But here is the problem. I'm sure it is just an issue of practice for me, but how do you guys do it when you are setting them up? Do you literally leave the ground and put in sticks as you go without ever going back down, or do you go up and down untill you have them up? Also, how do you deal with those straps in the morning darkness? I actually considered sewing one of the loops closed so that one side of the strap is always connected to the versa-button.
For me the first few times I used them, I thought I was actually just as fast using screw steps. Maybe I need more practice with them?

Dewey

Re: Using your lone wolf climbing sticks?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 am

This should answer some of your questions....... viewtopic.php?f=189&t=6069&hilit=lone+wolf+set+up
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:01 am

jonsimoneau wrote:Guys I just bought a set of the sticks last season. I only used them a few times, since I had most of my stands pre-hung. Anyway, this year, I am hunting a new property, and am going to use the sticks for each and every setup. I'm somewhat excited by this, because I'll likely be hunting out of different trees everyday.
But here is the problem. I'm sure it is just an issue of practice for me, but how do you guys do it when you are setting them up? Do you literally leave the ground and put in sticks as you go without ever going back down, or do you go up and down untill you have them up? Also, how do you deal with those straps in the morning darkness? I actually considered sewing one of the loops closed so that one side of the strap is always connected to the versa-button.
For me the first few times I used them, I thought I was actually just as fast using screw steps. Maybe I need more practice with them?

You will get better at it... usually 15-20ft up in a matter of minutes unless I'm going really slow 4 a reason
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:49 am

I actually considered sewing one of the loops closed so that one side of the strap is always connected to the versa-button.

Dont go modifying your straps. They will stay on the way they are and no need to create a weak point. How you go up and down the tree is personal preference. If Im only going up a few steps then I put em up one at a time. IF Im going in to hunt and will be using all 4 sticks, then I put the first one up, then have a sling I made that holds the other 3. I head up the tree and install them as I go. I climb down, put my rope on my bow and the stand on my back and I head up, hang the stand, get in and pull up my bow. My sling is nothing special and I got the idea from a youtube video. I will make it better before this season for sure. I think the less you go up and down the tree the better. Every trip up/down is more noise, more movement, more energy which gets you to hot. I have another idea in mind, will share when I get something figured out.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:15 am

I put the first one on then step up and put the second one on. Then I go down and grab the third and attach my bow rope and all my gear and set the third on my way up. I only have three sticks. I rarely hunt higher and if I need a bit more height I use strap on steps at the bottom. I alway leave the strap attached to the sticks. I put rubber innertube pieces on the buckles so they don't clink around.
I never try to be fast at getting up the tree. I'd rather be safe and quiet. Screw ins are not legal in most places I hunt and I hate using them anyway because they wear me out cranking them in and I end up getting all sweaty.
I hunt out of a sling most of the time but if used a hang on I'd put each stick in one at a time, hang the stand, then grab my gear and go up. I'm not fast but I don't care. It's a hunt not a race.
I have had screw in steps snap off so be careful!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:30 am

Part 1[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEyFDBV7X4[/bbvideo]

Part 2[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBOa-681Hk[/bbvideo]
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:33 am

Dan it looks like you have 5 sticks. I'm guessing you have notes on each bed and know how many sticks to bring for that hunt? How often do you find the need for 5 sticks? How many times have you been setting up and looked over at the bed and could see the buck, or worse yet, he is looking right at you?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am

kenn1320 wrote:Dan it looks like you have 5 sticks. I'm guessing you have notes on each bed and know how many sticks to bring for that hunt? How often do you find the need for 5 sticks? How many times have you been setting up and looked over at the bed and could see the buck, or worse yet, he is looking right at you?

I was wondering this same thing....... Do you wanna be far enough away so you cant actually see the bed, that way he can't see you too, or do you push the envelope and actually have a visual on the buck when you can ?
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 am

Great Video!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:22 am

I generally use 3 sticks (2-4)...when i get to the tree i take the sticks off the stand and spread them all out so they don't clank together...put one stick on, climb up and do the 2nd, back down and up for 3, back down and up for 4, hook my tow rope on my bow and platform, and climb the tree with the stand on my back, hang the stand, sit down and pull up the bow...slow and steady wins the race! Magic, explain again if you could how you fastened the inner tube around your buckles....i imagine there was a special size you used??
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:09 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Dan it looks like you have 5 sticks. I'm guessing you have notes on each bed and know how many sticks to bring for that hunt? How often do you find the need for 5 sticks? How many times have you been setting up and looked over at the bed and could see the buck, or worse yet, he is looking right at you?

I was wondering this same thing....... Do you wanna be far enough away so you cant actually see the bed, that way he can't see you too, or do you push the envelope and actually have a visual on the buck when you can ?

I usually have 5 sticks on the stand... How many I use varys on each set up. I don't always use the tree I think I will use based on the exact wind and sign when I get to the staging area
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Do you wanna be far enough away so you cant actually see the bed, that way he can't see you too, or do you push the envelope and actually have a visual on the buck when you can ?

You want to be as close as possible to the bed... You don't want to climb so high they see you. Each set up is different.
On one occasion I was hunting public marsh in late season and the plan was to cut a track and follow it back to close proximity of a buck beddroom and set up. Snow stopped falling at about 3AM leaving ideal conditions to track back to a bedroom... Which I did. I new that marsh well and new where the buck was going to bed as soon as I was within 400 yards of the bed. It was a small island out in the cattails about 100 yards off of a wooded point. Sure enough the tracks headed right out there. Big tracks... So I got on the edge and climbed up to about 25 feet and realized I had went to far up. From ground view the island looked more enclosed and farther away. WHEN i LOOKED FROM MY PERCH CAREFULLY, i COULD SEE THE BUCK BEDDED RIGHT WHERE i EXPECTED HIM STARING BACK AT ME with his ears full alert. I sat motionless the whole time till dark and that buck never took his eyes off me and never moved.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Did you ever go back after that buck Dan ?

I'm just wondering if that was enough for the buck to relocate or not ?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:01 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Did you ever go back after that buck Dan ?

I'm just wondering if that was enough for the buck to relocate or not ?

Never saw that buck in that bed again. But wouldn't completely rule it out.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:00 pm

I've gotten to where I set the first stick, climb up set the second, go down and grab the 3rd and 4th and go up and set them then climb down and get everything else ready, clothes on, back pack back on, bow on back pack and then climb up, set stand, attach to tree with harness and then slowly get everything else set up quietly.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”