A buck's daily routine

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

A buck's daily routine

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

I'd like to gain some insight on exactly what buck's do during daylight hours. The little literature I've read on this subject usually goes something like, "bed down before or shortly after dawn, get up midday to stretch and relieve themselves, bed back down until just before dark and stage."

I'd like to get into more detail if anyone has any knowledge on this subject.

How much do deer actually sleep?
Do deer HAVE to feed every 6 hours?
What other light can you shed on this subject?

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: A buck's daily routine

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm

I once read a good article in D&DH by charles alsheimer about deer sleep patterns. He talked about their sleep pattern being more a series of "naps" or periods where they would doze off, often with their head still up and eyes closed, and regularly bobbing their head. Only a couple times a day did the deer in the study sleep like a sprawled out dog, and when they did it only lasted about 30minutes.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: A buck's daily routine

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:29 pm

My observations hunting bedding areas tell me that they enter there bedding area in the early morning and don't come out tilll the last few hours of daylight. I used to believe that they had to feed every 6 hours, but I am starting to question that logic cause I am not seeing much beddroom activity prior to the last few hours when hunting pressured bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”