morning vs. evening hunts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

76chevy
500 Club

morning vs. evening hunts?

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 am

which do you have the most success on in early season?

why?

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
BigHunt

Re: morning vs. evening hunts?

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:06 am

i have more sucsess in the afternoon
when bucks are droogy u can slip in on them, their already bedded so u have a good chance of seeing one if your hunting set up is good and working with the wind
sometimes the moon phase is wrong for the mornings and its hard to hunt a deer when its all ready bedded
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 am

Early season, I definitely have more luck in the evenings and deer are much easier to set up on if you know where they are bedding. Getting close to bedding in the mornings can go wrong in a hurry if your timing is wrong. All of my morning sits have come to the point where I set up ridiculously early. I am sure there are better ways of getting on deer early in the morning, but this is the only thing I do for the confidence factor. The primary property I hunt only has access from a gravel road next to crop fields. Nothing is more discouraging then seeing deer in the field you need to walk across early in the morning. I enjoy early morning hunts, but I only hunt certain areas in the morning. I used to hunt anywhere the wind was right whether it was early in the morning or the evening, but it has been my experience that you hunt the areas that are best for a particular time of day. Perhaps you set up in a great spot, but are uncertain when the deer will pass through you just know they frequent the area. Well if you haven't done the scouting and you don't know the area as well as you should then you can burn a bridge that may have been great if you would have went in at noon and set up for the evening. A good buck just isn't going to tolerate an intrusion. Hunting Beast style has changed everything for me. I hunt much smarter now with greater attention to detail and much patience. My scouting dictates all my sits, the knowledge tell where to hunt and when.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:10 am

Mornings during early season generally result in mature bucks bedding before daylight... Most morning attempts result in kicking bucks from there beds an hour or more before daylight when I get there... Moon phase or weather can change that though.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:50 am

Dan, Ive read several of your posts now with mention of moon phase. Is there a particular pattern you follow? My gps has some built in gadget that tells good and bad times and for laughs I always look at it and say any minute now its going to be great hunting, then nothing comes by. :lol: I think Charles Alsheimer believes the rut is triggered by the moon and this past season had a really late full moon after the autumn equinox. I think it was a chance for him to prove his theory, but from what I hear the rut was not later as he predicted.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 am

I use Jeff Murrys moon guide www.moonguide.com It costs about $10. But really it just tells me when the moon is directly above or below me, and if its near morning or evening... Just seems easier for me to glance at his chart than look at a real moon chart cause he highlights what I want to know...
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Dan, i really hope when the season starts you put up your favorite days (red/green) for morning/evening bed hunts like you did last year, that was very informative!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:52 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:Dan, i really hope when the season starts you put up your favorite days (red/green) for morning/evening bed hunts like you did last year, that was very informative!

X2

One questions does Jeff Murrays guide tell you when to hunt? I'm still confused how the moon works? Your saying if the moon is directly overheard and its close to opening hunting hours on that day then its a good day to catch a buck headed back late?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm a big believer of the moon stuff, I haven't bought the Moon Guide but you can look up everything you need to know right here.
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... one-day-us

I believe the best time to hunt is when the moon transit is close to either sunrise or sunset. Anyone have any more details on this part of it? I have heard people say if it's within a half hour of either sunrise sunset, or maybe an hour or two of first/last light.

So for central MN the first good moon morning would fall on:

Monday Sept 19th
Sunrise is at 7:00am
Moon transit is at 6:14am

The 19th should be good too
Sunrise 7:01 a.m.
Moon transit 7:05 a.m.

The 18th might work but maybe not as well as the 19th and 20th
Sunrise 6:58 a.m.
Moon transit 5:24 a.m.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
RaisedByWolves wrote:Dan, i really hope when the season starts you put up your favorite days (red/green) for morning/evening bed hunts like you did last year, that was very informative!

X2

One questions does Jeff Murrays guide tell you when to hunt? I'm still confused how the moon works? Your saying if the moon is directly overheard and its close to opening hunting hours on that day then its a good day to catch a buck headed back late?

It does tell you when to hunt... I don't listen to it when it tells me "where" to hunt. But the bucks being on there feet and it being a good time "to" hunt is what I am looking for...

I will post the moon times again when I get a chance unless someone beats me to it. I think that went over pretty good last year..
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 pm

It really depends on where I'm hunting according to the food source. I like this feeding time chart just punch in your zip code. http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 pm

I would say I hunt more evenings so I have had more success in the evenings. I did kill a really nice buck on a morning hunt once. Killed him at daybreak as he was going back to his bed. The problem with mornings early season is that there are only about 4 or 5 days during October that the moon phase is good for a morning hunt. Then you need to have the proper wind on those days. So the morning is tough because everything has to line up to make it a success.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:34 am

thanks for the info, good discussion here
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 am

dan wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:

X2

It does tell you when to hunt... I don't listen to it when it tells me "where" to hunt. But the bucks being on there feet and it being a good time "to" hunt is what I am looking for...

I will post the moon times again when I get a chance unless someone beats me to it. I think that went over pretty good last year..

the last sentance of your intro paragraph is what is was referring to
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2439&p=23612&hilit=perched+over+a+bucks+bed#p23612
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”