Marsh VS Swamp?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Marsh VS Swamp?

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:27 am

So the Marsh Bucks video main focus was clearly on Cattail Marsh's. In my area there are cattail's but for the most part they are just small patches (1/4 acre). Don't get me wrong there are some bigger marshes around but what we have more of in my area are swamps. Vast acreage of wetlands, sometimes flooded with 1ft of water and others just always wet.

I know bucks bed in these swamps and I know deer travel through them because I see the trails.

I guess my question is would you hunt these swamps like you would hunt a cattail marsh? Seeing where the trails come out and look for buck sign and staging? Or is it different? My guess its the same basic tactics but just curious as to what you guys have to say.

Also am I wrong to assume that deer travel through swamps as regular travel routines or are the trails im seeing coming from and going to bedding?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Marsh VS Swamp?

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:13 am

There is loys of food in swamps so deer travel around more in a swamp than most people think.
Look for bedding where there is elevation changes such as islands of high ground. Also look along transitions of vegitation. Where two types of cover meet.
headgear
500 Club

Re: Marsh VS Swamp?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 am

I don't have a lot of cattails in my area either. I end up hunting a lot of brush, grass, and floating bog areas and the tactics and bedding are pretty much the same as any marsh. There could be a few differences depending on the exact swamp/bed but overall they are very similar.

There are a few swamps that tend to be different, large swamps with a lot of trees like cedar, black spruce, or tamarack swamps kind of beat to their own tune. I can't say that I have mastered these areas yet but if you can find any kind of transition or high ground in these swamps you might find bedding there. Not all swamps will have good bedding in them, you sometimes have to find the spot within the spot to find a good buck bed. Other times I think they used they swamps as kind of a barrier and bed on one side of the swamp near a lake or a river for protection. I have also found that terrain features around these swamps might also play a role, if a buck can use the topography to catch thermals in the evening you might also find a good bedding location.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”