baiting for getting trail camera photos legal question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

baiting for getting trail camera photos legal question

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Can we (in Wis) legally bait for attracting deer to get photos?

"Baiting and Feeding Deer Regulations continued...
Timing: No person may:
Place, use, or hunt over bait or feed for hunting purposes during the closed season for
hunting deer
, but may start to place bait for deer hunting the day before the opening
day of the first deer hunting season, which is the archery season. This means the
24-hour period from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm on the day immediately before the
season."

Reading this, one could be lead to believe that if you are placing the bait for photos which are being taken for hunting purposes that the act is illegal.

The next line down in the regs book says:
"No person may:

• Hunt over bait or a feeding site that is in violation of these regulations unless the
area is completely free of bait or feed material for at least 10 consecutive days prior
to hunting, pursuing animals, or dog training."

So even if you remove the bait you still were breaking the law in the first place by using the bait before allowed.

In case you missed it (which I did at first)

"Note: Removal of unlawfully placed bait or feed material does not preclude the
issuance of a citation for the original placement of the unlawful baiting or feeding
material."

What about mineral you ask?
"What exactly is considered bait?
Bait is any material that is placed or used to attract wild animals, including scent
materials, salt, minerals, grains, etc. Water is not considered bait.

OK so I'm not really hunting, I'm just viewing.

"In counties where it is legal to bait deer for hunting, it is also legal to feed deer for
recreational viewing. However, the following regulations apply:
• Each owner-occupied residence or business open to the public may place out no
more than 2 gallons of feed.
• The feed must be located within 50 yards of an owner-occupied residence or a
business open to the public.
• The feed may not be located within 100 yards of a roadway with a posted speed
limit of 45 mph or more."

The way I'm reading it, it is illegal to bait for trail camera photos.
Am I wrong? Is there something in the regs that say it's legal?

All quotes taken from the 2011 hunting regs book.

BigHunt

Re: baiting for getting trail camera photos legal question

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:23 pm

dan metoined that i should put out a bucket of corn on my cameras and ill see all my targeted deer. im a little hesitant because of the law, i havent and i dont think i will. its not worth it even were i hunt, theres no one for a least a mile of my proporty, but i wont take that chance

no hard feelings dan :| good sugestion though!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I would call the DNR and ask. Most of the time when I call for clarifications they are very helpful.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:36 pm

bighunt wrote:dan metoined that i should put out a bucket of corn on my cameras and ill see all my targeted deer. im a little hesitant because of the law, i havent and i dont think i will. its not worth it even were i hunt, theres no one for a least a mile of my proporty, but i wont take that chance

no hard feelings dan :| good sugestion though!

It seems like everybody does it openly and I just wondered if I'm missing something or if I'm not understanding the law or if people just aren't aware of the law. I'm not saying it's not legal. I'm just saying it seems as though the law says it's no legal. Has anyone checked into this or asked a warden? Heck, people are putting pictures up on the internet and it's easy to tell there's bait or mineral being used.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 pm

so if u lay a mineral on opening day and it hasnt disolved yet buy the end of the season do you have to pick it up or can u let it lay? the reminance of the mineral will still be in the ground come spring. the ground freezes and will perserve the minneral traces in the ground during winter, when spring arives the ground un freezes and the minneral is still there! how does this affect the law?

i wonder how these guys come up with some of these laws :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 pm

bighunt wrote:so if u lay a mineral on opening day and it hasnt disolved yet buy the end of the season do you have to pick it up or can u let it lay? the reminance of the mineral will still be in the ground come spring. the ground freezes and will perserve the minneral traces in the ground during winter, when spring arives the ground un freezes and the minneral is still there! how does this affect the law?

i wonder how these guys come up with some of these laws :lol:

All my pics I posted in my journal where mineral is clearly visible are over a mineral block that was thrown out last fall it just hasn't dissolved or been worked hard enough yet...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:36 pm

It is illegal to place minerals or bait before archery season in WI. Has been for 3-4 years now.

Only minerals I have out is by the house within the 50 yard rule.

Don't even have a camera out now......
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

My area has been closed to baiting for quite a while now, thats why I always say to check your local laws... They are so complex, I really don't know whats legal and whatas not in other areas. I just worry about whats legal here. Magic, reading the laws you quopted, I agree. Its not going to be legal where your at.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm

If you call the DNR to ask, just remember that enforcement of these laws includes some officer discretion. Ask three different officers and you may get three different answers. It seems to me there usually a good cop bad cop scenario going on.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 am

This is what how my local warden replied when I asked the question. I interpret it as illegal unless it is with in 50 yards of a dwelling, in a county that allows baiting in WI.

Dan - Mineral licks, salt blocks or whatever configuration you choose would be a considered a legal method of baiting and/or feeding. That is the short answer.

The long answer is a bit more confusing. First, it is illegal to place any bait (something placed to induce deer to an area for the purpose of hunting), including mineral licks prior to 24-hours before an open deer hunting season (24-hours before archery season) and can not remain after the close of a deer hunting season. At no point can the amount of bait be more than 2-gallons. Larger mineral licks might be over the 2-gallon limit so either cut the big ones in half or buy the smaller brick size licks. The 2-gallons is a total limit so if you have a large mineral lick you wouldn't be allowed to add corn or any other bait material to the pile.

This is all taking into account that you are baiting in a county that it is legal to bait. This might be one reason that there is some differences in the answers the people you have been corresponding with since there are some counties that no baiting is allowed.

Second, if you are placing the mineral lick to feed deer for viewing purposes, an activity that is legal (in counties where baiting is allowed) year round again with the 2-gallon limit. If you are feeding for deer viewing, the feed station has to be within 50 yards of an owner-occupied residence (house) or of a person's business, if the business is one that is generally open to the public. The feed station/mineral lick also has to be at least 100 yards from a roadway having a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour or more.

Please be aware that these are State laws and that individual municipalities can have more restrictive local ordinances. For instance, the City of Green Bay prohibits all deer feeding activities.

Feel free to give me a phone call((920) 304-0991)if you need more clarification.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:09 AM
To: Kuhn, Darren D - DNR
Subject: Mineral licks

Darren, what is your interpretation on the baiting laws as far as mineral licks go. I have been on an internet discussion, where one guy says they are illegal period. Another guy claims as long as they are under 2 gallons, they are considered feeding, thus legal. Both claim to have their local wardens backing them. What is your interpretation to this scenario?
Thanks.
Dan

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”