Beast Style?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Beast Style?

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am

I'm looking to define "Beast Style". We often talk about Beast Style hunting on this forum. Is Beast style doing everything exactly as Dan? Or is Beast style the best of what you know and do to kill the biggest bucks you can?

I myself don't hunt exactly like Dan. I take the best of what he teaches and bring that to what I do. And not just Dan. I take the best of what I hear from everyone here and apply it to myself. I consider myself a hardcore to the bone deer hunter, (not that I think I'm great, it's just that deer hunting overtakes my thoughts... :mrgreen: ) but am I a Beast?

What's everyones take on the "Beast" theme???? :D

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
muddy

Re: Beast Style?

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 am

Being able to get it done in tough conditions, that's a BEAST in my book.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 am

Beast Style defination for me is focusing on beds and hunting mobile.

Not that any other way of hunting is wrong or won't work......enough of you of proved that year in and year out.

When someone mentions "i'm going to hunt like a Beast this year" this is what I interpidate.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:14 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Beast Style defination for me is focusing on beds and hunting mobile.

Not that any other way of hunting is wrong or won't work......enough of you of proved that year in and year out.

When someone mentions "i'm going to hunt like a Beast this year" this is what I interpidate.

X2
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 am

A beast is a year round deer hunter. Someone who hunts mobile, and is willing/able to change their set up when conditions or situations change. They make the best of their situation, set themselves up for success and get it done! Thats a beast to me, unfortunately I'm not quite there yet. :D I think bow hunting 24/7 but I'm still working on setting myself up for success all the time and interpreting/changing with conditions!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 am

getting it done year after year in tuff conditions, and applying the tactics that "YOU" best to yuor abilty! i have shot many deer but i wouldnt consider my self a beast yet :lol: , ive only been hunting for 11 years, i have LOTS to learn. thats why i joined this sight, im ready to soak up and learn not only from dan, but from all members of hunting beast i have what u call SWD
"SEVERE WHITETAIL DISORDER" :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 am

I guess each person has to define it themselves. I have my ways and they are very similar to much of what Dan does. I have learned a lot from Dan that will make me more successful in the future.
When I first started learning how Dan hunts I didn't really see how that would equate to greater success for me because we hunt such different types of land. Further study got me to believe I was dead wrong. The key to success year in and year out is always going to key on big buck bedding. It doesn't really matter where or what type of cover you hunt. It is still the same theme: buck bedding. The methods or plan of attack may change from area to area but it all keys on bedding. The challenge is to develope a technique that works for the area you hunt.
Here's how I would define it:
An aggressive hunting style that keys on buck beds using hunting skills instead of relying on hunting products.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 am

For me it means going to the bucks, not waiting and hoping they come to you. Dan's method as I see it is just that. He finds the beds and gets in close when the time is right. That's not a predator, that's a beast!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am

I see it as being aggressive on early season bedding areas, but finding them in the spring. Scouting more than hunting, and understanding how to adjust for the different phases of the season. Knowing how the wind and thermals work as well as being creative.

Before I understood some of the early season tactics I just hunted rut tactics all the time with little success.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Beast Style defination for me is focusing on beds and hunting mobile.

Same here..
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:59 pm

These were the first two things I think of when talking about beast style.

magicman54494 wrote:When I first started learning how Dan hunts I didn't really see how that would equate to greater success for me because we hunt such different types of land.

I know I thought the exact same thing when I first watched the trailer for marsh buck.

I think a lot can also be said for hunters getting on mature bucks every year, adapting and learning from others, applying tactics to your own area, and learning from your mistakes.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:16 pm

headgear wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:When I first started learning how Dan hunts I didn't really see how that would equate to greater success for me because we hunt such different types of land.

I know I thought the exact same thing when I first watched the trailer for marsh buck.

Same here..I dont really hunt marshy stuff, and I dont usually hunt hilly stuff either, so I was hesitant to buy the videos at first since I didnt know how much it would really help me...but one of the biggest things Ive learned is hey, they gotta sleep somewhere..and thats where they are during daylight hours....
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:35 pm

GRUD wrote:I see it as being aggressive on early season bedding areas, but finding them in the spring. Scouting more than hunting, and understanding how to adjust for the different phases of the season. Knowing how the wind and thermals work as well as being creative.

What GRUD said.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 am

Basically the same as what Hodag said....you did all your homework to find a bucks bed and learn his pattern, you slip in there when the time is right, and kill him.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 am

basically the methods Dan (and Jarod and Lee) outline in the videos

the tactics are aggressive and unconventional-- you likely wont be reading about them in any big name hunting magazines

it's a year round system of scouting 90% and hunting 10% of the time

it's hard work, harder than most are wiling to work in fact

it's not sitting in funnels and field edges all season and hoping a big buck shows up in daylight, it's locating and hunting the big buck bedding and transition areas

it's relying on scouting and hard work not shortcuts or 'magic potions' :mrgreen:
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”