How do you get your bow up to you in the stand ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: How do you get your bow up to you in the stand ?

Unread postby Dor » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Rope generally. I have sometimes clipped it to my backpack if it's a weird circumstance and there's no time for rope.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:00 pm

I use a retractable 30' strap.....does not get tangled nearly as much as a rope does.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 am

Ive got a product at my local shop some of you might be interested in. Ive had to use it a couple times and its a god send. I have never seen it for sale anywhere else.

Its a dense piece of plastic with a super strong magnet inside at the end, it also has four arms that tuck into the side like a grappling hook that can be deployed or left shut. If you drop something metal like a release the magnet will pick it up, if you drop a glove the grapple will pick it up. It is very light weight but really strong, I keep it in my jacket. I dont know if you guys are like me but Ive made some dumb moves like climbing up and not hooking up the pack or dropping my quiver.

If anyone is interested I can check the price and if you guys are willing to pay it plus the shipping I will go get as many as needed. Keep in mind, I dont think theres a mass production going on. Last I knew they might have a dozen in stock with the ability to get more, they sell out before season.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:20 am

Autumn Ninja, I can't believe I haven't thought of tying the rope to my treestand right away!! :roll: I feel special. I don't use a lot of the ropes or strings that are small in diameter because for some reason I always end up with a tangle! I like the thicker rope. Usually 25' or so.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:39 am

I use a rope. I'm not sure what it's made of but it's real hard to get it tangled up. My only suggestion would be to test your rope to make sure it doesn't tagle easily. It sucks standing at the bottom of the tree trying to get your rope untagled when you want to be up in your stand hunting!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:06 am

For lightweight and simple I use the 1/8" camo strings with plastic clips. To avoid the tangles at the base of the tree, I store the string by winding it in a figure 8 pattern around my pinky finger and thumb of my extended open hand.
The string unravels perfectly every time.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Czabs wrote:Autumn Ninja, I can't believe I haven't thought of tying the rope to my treestand right away!! :roll: I feel special.

I'll guarantee your not as special as I am. Let me tell you the story behind that... :D

I use to carry my rope in my pocket...it was always in the way and getting tangled up, I even forgot to bring it a few times. So one day I decided to make a bracket to put my rope on, then strap it to my stand. I worked for 2 or 3 hours putting cabinet knobs on a piece of wood then finding the perfect spot to strap it to my stand. Then I steeped back to look at brilliant idea and handy work.

Just about that time my wife walks in. I say, so what do you think about my new rope holder I made? She says...Yea thats real nice....But why didn't you just wrap it around the back of your stand there?

Its never been tangled or in the way and Ive never left it at the house....AND I WILL NEVER LET MY WIFE KNOW THATS WHERE I PUT IT!!!!!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:35 pm

I use 1/4" soft braided camo line. Not sure what brand, but you can buy a big roll of it for pretty cheap. It doesnt tangle and if it does, its super easy to undo. However I find myself at the base of the tree purposely running it thru my hands one time to ensure its not tangled. This is movement Id rather not have hunting beast style close to bedding. I may look at an alternative for that reason only. I used to use 30ft, then I would know when I was high enough with the climber. Now with the 4 sticks, I dont need 30ft.

AN I can see where a climber would be nice in the hills with those tall tree's, but how can you climb quietly? How close do you set up on a bedded buck with a climber?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Czabs wrote:Autumn Ninja, I can't believe I haven't thought of tying the rope to my treestand right away!! :roll: I feel special.

I'll guarantee your not as special as I am. Let me tell you the story behind that... :D

I use to carry my rope in my pocket...it was always in the way and getting tangled up, I even forgot to bring it a few times. So one day I decided to make a bracket to put my rope on, then strap it to my stand. I worked for 2 or 3 hours putting cabinet knobs on a piece of wood then finding the perfect spot to strap it to my stand. Then I steeped back to look at brilliant idea and handy work.

Just about that time my wife walks in. I say, so what do you think about my new rope holder I made? She says...Yea thats real nice....But why didn't you just wrap it around the back of your stand there?

Its never been tangled or in the way and Ive never left it at the house....AND I WILL NEVER LET MY WIFE KNOW THATS WHERE I PUT IT!!!!!

:lol: nice!
I always keep a rope in the small front pocket of my backpack....when i get to the tree i tie my bow to the platform of my stand and climb/hang then pull it up...on the end of the rope there is a rubber coated mini caribeaner, i think HME products makes it.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm

kenn1320 wrote:AN I can see where a climber would be nice in the hills with those tall tree's, but how can you climb quietly?
I can go from stand on my back to 20 feet high ready to hunt in less than 2 minutes...Or I can do it in silent mod in less than 5 minutes.
kenn1320 wrote: How close do you set up on a bedded buck with a climber?

Just far enough that the bucks cant see me.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 pm

I mostly use ladders and pre hung hang ons. I have a climber I have to use in a few areas on my property. When I use my climber, I have a 1/8" rope that stays tied to the top part and a caribeaner on the other end that I loop through the top limb of my bow. I get where I want to and bring it up.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Tied to the stand and I pull the stand up by this and set it up and then throw the rope down once i am in the stand to attach it to my bow...

Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:18 am

Gibby wrote:This is what I use, its 30ft long, its retractable so it never tangles and its super quiet

http://www.huntinhoist.com/php/index.php

These are great, been using one for years. I prefer the strap over the cord seems a little easier on the fingers. This company is located about 30 miles South of where I live. Small town, small business, but a quality product for sure.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 am

I usually put my arm between the string and limbs and carry my bow up haning on my shoulder that way I still have both hands available.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”