Does rain cover up our scent ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: Does rain cover up our scent ?

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:21 pm

oldrank wrote:I had almost exact opposite happen then above post. I hunted in a steady rain last fall. Entered my stand in rubber boots. 3 hours later a spike came out of the thicket and hit my entrance trail.. He froze in his tracks, spun around n quickly trotted back where he came from. This was in a steady heavy rain. It never stopped from my entrance till I left.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Do you think he smelled where you walked or winded you?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Where I walked. No doubt. He put his nose right to my trail. I had marked my way in with TP so I could get out easy in the dark. I could see my trail easy from my stand. As soon as he hit my trail he spooked.. Im pretty sure i posted about it in Live From The Stand when it happened.. It was around Nov 12 or 13th.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:48 pm

That's weird...I don't know how to explain that...I had walked into the wind and setup in a saddle with my scent blowing toward a ridge point. The wind wasn't strong so some scent would go behind me. All deer most definitely walked where I did and never alerted until they got behind me upwind. They were higher and I'm sure thermals were rising

The 6 pt walked right by me and again right where I had walked. And I was sitting on the ground. Maybe these deer were just stupid? Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 pm

My experience has been they deer are a lot less likely to pickup my trail in a good rain. But there have been occasions I have had deer hit my trail in and flip out and bolt even in a rain. Just a whole lot less times then when it is dry.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:48 pm

There are a lot of places rain don't get to in a woods, like the down wind side of a tree, under heavy leaf cover, etc... The more the rain the better for washing it out, but there are spots along your trail that get missed by rain. And as said earlier, big difference between heavy down pour and light sprinkle.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Just thinking outloud... ozonics or ozone machines create the some molecules as a lightning storm. After a good lightning storm there is a fresh clean smell, that smell is ozone. After a good thunderstorms my belief is more scent will be removed than after a steady rain. Have no proof of this but the science behind ozone/ozonics is real just not proved to work in all ways we try to use it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”