Muddy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Muddy

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 am

Since there was a Spysar thread, and an Autumn Ninja thread, I'd like to start a DOR, Muddy, and Bucky thread. I know there are a bunch more guys on this site that get it done. These are just the guys that are long time forum members that seem to get it done every year. All these threads have this same opening line, one thread for each guy...

I'm interested in the planning and execution of how you do YOUR hunting season. So Muddy, what is your plan of attack? What is your style of big buck killing?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Muddy

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 am

Mud,
I am wondering what your ground is like... From the turkey pic's and what I picked up it seems fairly open? Is that a fair assesment? Also wondering if you do any glassing or shining or just use trail cams? And do you hunt for certain deer? Or just target buck rich areas?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:02 am

Spysar wrote:I'm interested in the planning and execution of how you do YOUR hunting season. So Muddy, what is your plan of attack? What is your style of big buck killing?

My main thing is that I pay absolute attention to as much as possible whenever I'm out there. Be it putting up stands, taking stands down, shed hunting, etc. Now that I have 3 kids I have to make the most of every step in the woods and over the past few years those steps have really REALLY come far and few between. When I once was able to velvet scout and shine 4 or 5 days a week has now come down to once or twice a summer, its just not in the cards anymore.

I always take an aerial map with me when I go now, I jot notes, I make maps, I circle areas to return to and a lot of times those hunches pay off. Shed season produces a few sheds for me but the main reason I go is to catch up on scouting lost because I'm changing diapers. Again, that map is with me and I make notes and return to those notes once I get home.

I suppose my style is to just make the most of the time given to me and plan accordingly. Proper prior planning prevents unfilled tags?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:51 am

dan wrote:Mud,
I am wondering what your ground is like... From the turkey pic's and what I picked up it seems fairly open? Is that a fair assesment?

I actually don't deer hunt my turkey ground, the landowner already has people deer hunting there. This will be the first year I actually call him and I won't call him until the day or so before I hunt because it will be during the week and I know EXACTLY where I want to deer hunt now after a few years of scouting...er....turkey hunting!

As far as my other ground.... my public ground is huge timber area that is situated between housing developments and private farm ground. Access isn't tough but the place I hunt is off the housing development where I bribe a homeowner with morels to walk thru his yard to the "good stuff". Not many people get back where I hunt because it's a LONG assed walk otherwise. There are still a few every year that come wandering back but since I hunt out of a LW most of the time I can stay away from the fools.

My private chunks are very small, 13, 13, and 80 acres. Each property I share with 1 other guy and on the 80 I share it with 2 other guys. It's a matter of keeping the peace with the other guys and hunting very smart. I let them do the stupid stuff like throw a ladder stand up in all the "sign" or "bedding areas" and I put my stands on the fringes out by the oaks and funnels.

I really don't think I'm that great of a hunter to be honest, I really like to hunt funnels and pinch points that move a lot of deer past me. Most of them are does, but when it gets right, there are lots of bucks to be had/seen. If I find hot sign, I hunt it and don't keep moving over the ridge to try and find hotter sign.

Any other comments or questions I'll gladly answer if I've left anything out.

dan wrote:Also wondering if you do any glassing or shining or just use trail cams?

I used to rely mostly on glassing and shining, in fact I did it so much my wife threatened me with some harsh punishments and I started staying home some more! I then got a couple home brew trail cameras and had a lot of fun but a lot of frustration with them as well. Now my trail cams sit primarily on mineral licks on the same farm because I'm scared they'll get ganked if I put them out elsewhere. In the fall I move them week to week on scrapes in my areas, but mostly just out of curiosity. I've yet to kill a buck I've had on trail cam.

dan wrote:And do you hunt for certain deer? Or just target buck rich areas?

I gave up hunting certain deer a few years ago when we had kids. If I waited for specific bucks I'd never shoot anything. I am also very very lucky that my hunting areas are mostly giant funnels and that every buck in the county tends to migrate through. I've gotten pretty good at waiting for a specific sized buck anymore as I hate to just cut horns off and throw them in the garage.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:52 am

Just re-read my answers, there's gunna be a lot of disappointment with those boring answers.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:00 am

muddy wrote:Just re-read my answers, there's gunna be a lot of disappointment with those boring answers.

:lol: :lol:

Ur approach is obviously working for ya.... I'm glad I'm not a gobbler on the ground you hunt :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:04 am

"I always take an aerial map with me when I go now, I jot notes, I make maps, I circle areas to return to and a lot of times those hunches pay off"

I do the same. ALWAYS have an aerial with me.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:06 am

Here's something I do that is quiet different than many of you. I won't drive more than 20-30 minutes for a hunting spot anymore, especially since gas got expensive and I have kids.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 am

muddy wrote:Here's something I do that is quiet different than many of you. I won't drive more than 20-30 minutes for a hunting spot anymore, especially since gas got expensive and I have kids.

Honestly, where your at you really don't need to, but none-the-less, sounds like jail to me :mrgreen: .

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:01 am

Dor wrote:Honestly, where your at you really don't need to, but none-the-less, sounds like jail to me :mrgreen: .

I won't deny either opinion. ;)

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Bucky wrote:
muddy wrote:Just re-read my answers, there's gunna be a lot of disappointment with those boring answers.

Ur approach is obviously working for ya.... I'm glad I'm not a gobbler on the ground you hunt :mrgreen:

I guess also just keeping a positive attitude and not being afraid to try something new when I'm in a rut also comes into play. Scouting on the way in and out from stands is key to find those hot new areas. I have a boring common sense approach, I don't try to over think things because then I get second guessing and end up parked on the side of the road mulling stand locations over.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 am

So to sum it up, your technique is living in Iowa? :mrgreen:

How did you wind up in Iowa anyway? Born there?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 am

Spysar wrote:So to sum it up, your technique is living in Iowa? :mrgreen:

I guess that's one way to put it. Yes, born and raised.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 am

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 am

muddy wrote:

I guess that's one way to put it. Yes, born and raised.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

THATS FUNNY! :lol:

But really not a bad tactic... I know a lot of good hunters who have done well by moving to where the hunting is great... Andrae is one of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”