Autum Ninja ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

docwaters

Re: Autum Ninja ???

Unread postby docwaters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:33 am

Unbelievable.

This detailed approach and direction just boggles my mind. As I digest all of this data and struggle to implement it into my mind I am both excited and mystified. It's the onion analogy, every layer peeled back reveals another layer.

Really hoping I can employ these tactics and readily conceptualize this stuff in the field.

Thanks AN wherever you are! :clap:

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 am

JoeRE wrote:Great examples Divergent.

Rising thermal hubs are not something Ive touched on much - in those locations there is the added benefit of usually being a terrain pinch point as well.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on them.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:20 am

I feel like bucks use the thermals to advertise too. The next time you find a rub or scrape, chances are it's made where a ravine meets the spine of the ridge. By doing this the bucks scent can be carried a very long way once the thermals shift to falling. Here's an example:

The buck travels down the spine in yellow. Rubs at the head of a ravine. By doing this he can double his audience when thermals fall. Once thermals fall the bedded deer(pink dots) drop and they can pick up the scent via the falling thermals.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 am

Divergent wrote:

Rising thermal hubs are not something Ive touched on much - in those locations there is the added benefit of usually being a terrain pinch point as well.

I need to study it more. I do notice a lot of cruising activity through those high hubs just like you describe. Particularly when there is good bedding in the area. The question in my mind is how much of it is because they are terrain pinch points and how much of it is because of a scent related hub? I do not know yet but intend to learn more.

Bucks definitely use hubs to advertise I agree. Low hubs get torn up with community scrapes and signpost rubs and you are right I see a lot of sign in those high hubs RIGHT ON THE RIDGE SPINE as well.

Several of my favorite peak rut spots are right in those high hubs. One huge advantage in those spots is with strong thermals, often associated with a good clear high pressure day, your scent goes straight up. Deer can't smell you hardly at all - still have to worry about your access trail but I have seen my milkweed go up, up, up in those locations over the mid-day hours.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:23 am

Divergent, ironically I am finishing up an article for wiredtohunt on scrapes that also has a section on thermal hubs. Nothing earth shattering to anyone who has read this thread. Been working on it for a few weeks. This thread bump had good timing :lol:
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:01 am

JoeRE wrote:
Divergent wrote:

I need to study it more. I do notice a lot of cruising activity through those high hubs just like you describe. Particularly when there is good bedding in the area. The question in my mind is how much of it is because they are terrain pinch points and how much of it is because of a scent related hub? I do not know yet but intend to learn more.

Bucks definitely use hubs to advertise I agree. Low hubs get torn up with community scrapes and signpost rubs and you are right I see a lot of sign in those high hubs RIGHT ON THE RIDGE SPINE as well.

Several of my favorite peak rut spots are right in those high hubs. One huge advantage in those spots is with strong thermals, often associated with a good clear high pressure day, your scent goes straight up. Deer can't smell you hardly at all - still have to worry about your access trail but I have seen my milkweed go up, up, up in those locations over the mid-day hours.

I'm not sure how much would be due to it being a pinch point. I guess it would be hard to tell since they usually coincide with each other.

I've noticed those higher hubs being used as well during the rut. They're a lot easier to hunt like you said.

I think the best time to hunt the falling thermal hub is early season. With leaves still on the trees you can come in from the ridge opposite of bedding. You can't do this after the leaves drop. The deer can see your approach and they've become more nocturnal by that point, so they're dropping after dark. I post up high and wait for the thermal shift. That's when I quickly drop down to the thermal hub.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:15 am

JoeRE wrote:Divergent, ironically I am finishing up an article for wiredtohunt on scrapes that also has a section on thermal hubs. Nothing earth shattering to anyone who has read this thread. Been working on it for a few weeks. This thread bump had good timing :lol:

I thoroughly enjoy the articles and podcasts you, mark, and Aaron have put out lately. I'd like to see you and Aaron do a lil scouting clip.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am

How would either one of you personally Divergent or JoeRE setup to hunt this kind of spot?
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Asking for a few points of clarity:

can a crows foot be in a valley as well as on ridges?

would that then be the reasoning behind a "falling" thermal and a "rising" thermal?

if I'm far from it please feel free to explain
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 pm

BA-IV wrote:How would either one of you personally Divergent or JoeRE setup to hunt this kind of spot?

The only time I've had success is in the early season before leaf drop. In Alabama this gives me about a one month window. There's a thick cedar strip along the creeks in my WMA. I can enter from the opposite side of the creek and sit at the top until the thermals start dropping. This is when I drop off the ridge to the creek. Unless the deer sees me he will not know I'm there.
Yellow is my entry. First yellow dot is where I stay til thermals fall. Second yellow dot is where I end up.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:55 pm

huntsc wrote:Asking for a few points of clarity:

can a crows foot be in a valley as well as on ridges?

would that then be the reasoning behind a "falling" thermal and a "rising" thermal?

if I'm far from it please feel free to explain

Yes, there can be both in my limited experience. I think when Autumn Ninja referenced a crows foot it was for a falling thermal hub. I don't have enough experience with a rising thermal hub for setups or entry. I think that a rising thermal hub is like JoeRE mentioned...a rut type setup.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 am

I can already see that these THERMAL HUBS are way to advanced for me right now. I'm learning but it's slow :doh:
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 am

Divergent wrote:
BA-IV wrote:How would either one of you personally Divergent or JoeRE setup to hunt this kind of spot?

The only time I've had success is in the early season before leaf drop. In Alabama this gives me about a one month window. There's a thick cedar strip along the creeks in my WMA. I can enter from the opposite side of the creek and sit at the top until the thermals start dropping. This is when I drop off the ridge to the creek. Unless the deer sees me he will not know I'm there.
Yellow is my entry. First yellow dot is where I stay til thermals fall. Second yellow dot is where I end up.

How much time do you have on the thermal drop? Enough time to climb with sticks and hang a stand?
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm

I hunt off the ground in this situation. If you had a preset, you might have enough time. Just know that if the buck is bedded on an east facing slope, that side will cool down quicker. The deer seem to drop quicker than deer bedded on a west facing slope. Steeper terrain catch shade and cool quicker than flat terrain also.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:16 pm

basspro05 wrote:
Divergent wrote:

How much time do you have on the thermal drop? Enough time to climb with sticks and hang a stand?

I hunt off the ground in this situation. If you had a preset, you might have enough time. Just know that if the buck is bedded on an east facing slope, that side will cool down quicker. The deer seem to drop quicker than deer bedded on a west facing slope. Steeper terrain catch shade and cool quicker than flat terrain also.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”