Pretty pictures...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt Finney

Pretty pictures...

Unread postby Matt Finney » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 am

Hello everyone,

New to this site. Looks like lots of good stuff around here.

Thought I would share some nice trail camera pictures I've been getting here in west-central Indiana. As I've learned more about hunting whitetails over the last several years, I've realized the importance of finding areas with low hunting pressure, pretty much over all other factors (other factors being size of property, habitat types, etc.). Even if the big bucks are there, if they are pressured, they will be extremely difficult to kill, especially outside primary rut. These pictures were all taken on a 5 acre parcel that I got permission on this year. What makes it a honey-hole is very low hunting pressure on some large neighboring properties. This does 2 things.....ensures bucks have a good chance of getting some age on them, and ensures they have no reason to become completely nocturnal.

Looking forward to exploring this site!

Anybody else got any deer pictures....throw 'em up!

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Pretty pictures...

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:04 am

Good luck on some of those hoss's and welcome.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:21 am

Welcome to the BEAST... Nice bucks you got there. Hope you score on one. 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:30 am

Welcome to the Beast Matt! Nice pics! When were they taken? It looks like the leg on the NT is atrophied from not using it much. That bulb above his leg must be painful.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 am

Nice bucks there, welcome

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Matt Finney

Unread postby Matt Finney » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:13 am

First 2 pictures were taken in the last few days, the third picture "the giant" (i call him), hasn't shown up on camera last couple weeks....that picture was taken right around mid-june.

Yeah, I hope that guy's leg heals up....that lump appeared a couple weeks ago, and has grown pretty quickly to the size you see now. I think it's starting to shrink though...we'll see...i hope...

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys :)
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 am

Here is my contribution to pretty pic's.

:lol:

Welcome to HUNTING BEAST.......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 am

Matt!!

welcome to the beast :D :D

that sure is a monster, good luck with him this fall!!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Matt,

for me the the challenge would be to NOT over hunt that small parcel and run the buck off of it.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:54 pm

Matt,
I think I would set up my stands and get my camera out of there before the frequent intrusions and scent makes all of them leave.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Matt Finney

Unread postby Matt Finney » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:09 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Matt,
I think I would set up my stands and get my camera out of there before the frequent intrusions and scent makes all of them leave.

Stands have been set now for a few weeks.

Due to the layout, I'm able to run the cameras with very minimal intrusion, and these deer have seen very little hunting pressure....they're not overly skittish. They also see/smell humans on a daily basis. That being said, I do plan to keep my presence on the property extremely limited starting late this month.

I've run the cameras since March in an effort to get the deer used to them. I'll probably continue to run them until I get some kind of indication that they're doing some harm. I figure as long as I continue to get pics in broad daylight....all is well. I also understand the changes the deer, especially the bucks, go through hormonally though, and will be ready to pull the cams if need be.

Thanks for the advice.

Good to see you Chevy!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Welcome.... you def have some dandies worth chasing.... I just started hunting IN last year and gave up my IL lease for it. All I can say is i sure am glad i did! Hunting pressure in IN is so much lower than IL and OH its insane. Hope to see some harvest pics! Good Luck
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:09 am

Welcome to the BEAST. Those are some nice deer Good luck with them

Shot my first deer not far from you over 21 years ago. Caseyville, IL right across the border. Been wanting to get back there for a hunt, maybe someday.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lots of IN guys want to hunt in IL and pay big money to do so!

they think the hunting is so much better there.

RUTIN wrote:.....started hunting IN last year and gave up my IL lease for it. All I can say is i sure am glad i did! Hunting pressure in IN is so much lower than IL .....k
Matt Finney

Unread postby Matt Finney » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:45 am

I would argue that there is less pressure in Indiana for a very good reason. The pictures I've posted here are definitely not typical of most places I've hunted in Indiana. This property is surrounded by some large farms that have never allowed any hunting. On most of the properties I've hunted here, 2.5 year-old bucks are about all a hunter can hope for, at least on a consistent basis.

Sure, in Parke and Switzerland counties, where leasing and qdm are running rampant, sights like this are becoming more and more common, but the majority of Indiana is still lacking when compared to our neighbors Ohio and Illinois, at least from everything I've seen and read.

I believe that Indiana has way too many gun days in November to approach the quality seen in Ohio, Illinois, and Iowa.

Actually, Rutin, I think you are the first person I have ever heard that prefers IN over IL.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”