Baiting near a bedding.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

monster6

Baiting near a bedding.

Unread postby monster6 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:17 am

Do you beasts think it would be a good idea to bait near a buck bedding? (given baiting is legal where you hunt.) Or do you guys think it would only draw in the buck only at night because it is easy access food?

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Baiting near a bedding.

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:21 am

First thing that comes to my mind is your scent putting out the bait could cause the buck to abandon that bed. If you have him located and you understand Dan's technique, I cant see why you would want to bait? If you haven't bought his video's yet, your missing out. The money spent on bait will be pissed away, where as the video's will be with you forever.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:58 am

Ken, yes i do have his videos. I was just wondering if it was a good idea since I've never heard anything on here about it.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:17 am

X2

kenn1320 wrote:First thing that comes to my mind is your scent putting out the bait could cause the buck to abandon that bed.

If you have him located and you understand Dan's technique, I cant see why you would want to bait? ...
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:54 am

baiting near a bucks bed gives him less incentive to get up out of his bed during daylight or he'd stage closer to his bed+ the added human scent could make him change beds.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:33 am

x3 - I wouldn't bait routinely... I do sometimes use cameras near determined bedding areas just to confirm what type of buck I'm dealing with... it can be a deal breaker... but sometimes you just need to know if it is worth the effort. Mock scrapes + scent in such areas are usually enough to pull a picture or two (even in July/August). I will often use a liquid scent salt attractant in such an area as well to capture a week or two worth of pics. Like I said this can burn you, but often one intrusion is not a complete deal breaker especially if done July/early Aug. Try not to fall into the temptation of leaving the camera for more pics... each consecutive time in will lessen your chances of seeing any animal during the daytime. Try to set/pull cameras during rain if possible. Don't set the camera/scrape/mini lick up right where you intend to hunt...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 am

Why not give it a shot and find out for yourself..
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:08 am

matt1336 wrote:baiting near a bucks bed gives him less incentive to get up out of his bed during daylight or he'd stage closer to his bed+ the added human scent could make him change beds.

Agreed, no reason for him to get up and stage somewhere between his bed and the bait if it is close. He'll just wait til dark before getting up. If I were to bait I would try to keep it at least 150-200 yards from any known buck bed and position my stand in a good pinch point between the two.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:37 am

Monster6, rethinking your question and had to make another comment. Your profile does not say what state your from? I have seen guys with trail cam pics of nice bucks during archery season right on a bait pile, and also read posts of guys taking nice bucks off a bait pile (some in the big north woods of WI). In a highly pressured state/area however, nothing but 1.5yr old's and does/fawns will visit that bait till after dark. So if your in one of those unique states/areas having that bait right there might get you to get him up out of his bed with enough light to shoot him. Of course you have to ask yourself, when am I going to bait this site and not spook this deer out of his bed? Also an auto feeder might be a better option since it doesnt need repeat visits and the deer get eager to come when they relate that noise with eating.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Ken, I reside here in SE WI. Some parts north of me allow baiting. I've never actually really tried baiting the public land I hunt because I always thought of it as if im not there to hunt while the bait is there, then someone else will. I don't plan on baiting near a bed. I was just wanting to see what kind of input would some of you guys have.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

I like the element of suprise when hunting mature deer! If you want to shoot does and immature bucks, bait away! If you want to shoot a mature SLOB, then don't let him know you were there until after an arrow is in his chest ;) Hunt like a BEAST 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:50 am

If I knew where he was bedding, I would not bait near it, however, If you still wanted to bait, I would set it out maybe 200 yards from his bed. I would then hunt close to his bed on the trail he would use to get to the bait. I could see it working in a situation as follows: Maybe he is hitting a green field early in the season, you know his bed is about 150 -200 yards off this field. I would place the bait on the edge of the woods between the green field and a trail he would use to get to the field. You could keep baiting with out distubing his bedding area. I would then place my stand as close to his bed as possible with out alerting him, just like you would beast style without the bait. The bait would give deer a variety and an incentive to go that way. The deer will feel safer eating at the bait station, because it is not actually being hunted. I would also use a small amount, and replenish often, so they can clean it up. This creates a sense of urgency, and may pull them out earlier in the evening, if they know it might be gone before they get there. I don't bait, but have to work around them in my area, so I like to find the beds and try to get between the beds and the bait. One of my neighbors baits with a 4 wheeler, so I can get a general idea of where his baits are, just by listening for his four wheeler. He always replenishes his baits on Wednesday evenings so they are getting hit by the weekend when he hunts. ;) I'm not a big fan of baiting because I think it screws up natural movement patterns, which inturn makes alot of my scouting irrelevant, but thats a topic for another thread. So you got to play the hand your delt.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:41 am

I have and still do on occaision place bait like Black Squirrel describes.

Only thing different is try and keep the bait 1/4 mile away......all situations are different but have screwed up some spots by placing bait to close to the bucks "guessed" bedding area.

It's a great way to take trail camera pictures too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:31 am

Regardless of popular belief, baiting can be deadly on big bucks. Its really not my cup of tea personally, but to each there own. I have seen bait work well in pressured areas as well as non-pressured.
For mature bucks to come into bait in daylight, it would need to be close to a buck bedding area. But a little thought needs to go into the placment and timeing of the bait. 1st off, in my opinion, baiting in Wisconsin is pretty much illeagle cause it is pretty tough to do with the two gallon limit.
The way I have seen it work is to put out a large quanity, like 400 or more pounds of corn in a grassy area about 200 / 300 yards from the bed with good cover from bed to bait. Put the bait out in the rain, or just before if possible. Do not put the bait in a pile but rather throw it all over the place in a sprinkling that covers a large area like it fell off of a corn tree. Then wait about 3 weeks and hunt it on an early moon phase. Hunt it once and if you don't get the buck try a different spot... For me personally, hunting is like a chess game where I match witts with the buck on his natural pattern and beat him at his own game in his own element. I take more pride in a buck that I "FIGURED OUT" than one taken by feeding him.
But I could care less how you do it...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:56 am

These bait debates never turn good :lol:

But what the heck..... and no disrepect.

What is the difference figuring out a buck going from bed to a farmers field than a buck in the northwoods going from bed to a bait spread out a 1/4 mile away?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”