Spysar ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Spysar ???

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:46 pm

I had to go back and read this thread...I remember reading it a couple of years ago and I thought it was good then. Now i really think its a good thread. Things make more sense in my ever changing sponge of a brain. Thanks for the words of wisdom spy. :ugeek:

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 am

I will add that when we were in IL hunting together.... it got up to 80 degrees a few days (peak rut) and out of the 20 guys in camp Spy was one of 2 or 3 that sat ALL day everyday. They were loooong days in the heat!

After rereading this, I apologize for spewing my babble on your thread. If I could, I would delete that post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:02 am

Weird. I don't even have one pic of me and a buck on this thread. :think:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:06 am

Spysar wrote:Weird. I don't even have one pic of me and a buck on this thread. :think:

Good for you, lol. The pic of you smiling over your buddies buck killed from your stand is one of the best pics posted on this forum, ever.

I'm leaving for an out of state trip this week and just read through this whole thread as a refresher. Thanks for taking the time bud.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:32 am

Spysar wrote:
The first thing I want to figure out about the sign, is whether or not it's nocturnal or not. Lot's of people set up on nocturnal sign and it's a big waste of time. Using the sign, I'd next try and figure out the likely route of travel. Then you can figure out the best place to set up for the wind. You can tell what stage the rut is in by amount and freshness of sign. When actual breeding is going on, that will be a lull in fresh scrapes.

Spy what's the main things you look for or do in determining sign to be daytime vs nocturnal on new properties you aren't familiar with.

Good thread on how you approach OSS

Make It Happen
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:57 am

I've read this one many times. Great thread

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Spysar, awesome stuff here. You mentioned you hunted Mass. I mainly hunt Mass now that I reside here. Curious whether you shot any bucks? Pics? And if you don't mind sharing which part of MA.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:50 pm

Spysar wrote:
dan wrote:....

Then I'm back to NY, and Mass. Mass has a late ML season that goes to Dec 31st.

What part of Mass will you be in? The south coast is my stomping ground (bristol county)...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:20 am

wickedbruiser wrote:Spysar, awesome stuff here. You mentioned you hunted Mass. I mainly hunt Mass now that I reside here. Curious whether you shot any bucks? Pics? And if you don't mind sharing which part of MA.

I live on the NY / Mass border. And Mass is a great deal for a non res, we get 2 buck tags for around $100. So once in a while I hunt the gun season over there, and mostly the late muzz season. I hunt in the state forests in the western part of the state. My favorite is the Savoy public land. I hunt them all though, in the Berkshire mountains. Usually I'm looking for tracking snow. Never got any big rackers, but they exist . This is an older buck I shot in Savoy.

Swampbuck, on the nocturnal sign stuff. It's kind of a common sense approach that I guess comes with gut feeling and experience. I would rule out field edge rubs as nocturnal. Rubs and scrapes near a thick good bedding area would have the possibility of being made in daylight. Anywhere in between you have to look around and think about what a buck might do. It's all just an educated guess .
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Spysar wrote:
wickedbruiser wrote:Spysar, awesome stuff here. You mentioned you hunted Mass. I mainly hunt Mass now that I reside here. Curious whether you shot any bucks? Pics? And if you don't mind sharing which part of MA.

I live on the NY / Mass border. And Mass is a great deal for a non res, we get 2 buck tags for around $100. So once in a while I hunt the gun season over there, and mostly the late muzz season. I hunt in the state forests in the western part of the state. My favorite is the Savoy public land. I hunt them all though, in the Berkshire mountains. Usually I'm looking for tracking snow. Never got any big rackers, but they exist . This is an older buck I shot in Savoy.

Swampbuck, on the nocturnal sign stuff. It's kind of a common sense approach that I guess comes with gut feeling and experience. I would rule out field edge rubs as nocturnal. Rubs and scrapes near a thick good bedding area would have the possibility of being made in daylight. Anywhere in between you have to look around and think about what a buck might do. It's all just an educated guess .

I was just skimming through this thread and saw this. Nice buck! Majority of MA bucks have destinctive genetics and point blank saw it on this one. Reminds me of a buck that got smoked by a car 2 years ago. I hunt mainly southeast MA but would love to hunt the western hills one of these days just to get away from suburban pockets.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:02 pm

This is one of the coolest threads I have come across on here! This is why o love this site. So many people that inspire me to do more and go further!

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:15 pm

This is one of the best profiles no doubt about it. Have read this several times as well. What's awesome is the giant heap of bucks you have put down since this was started in 2011. Good job Spy keep knockin them down!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Great thread! Definitely lots of opportunities to be had with a bit of digging.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:06 pm

Not trying to hijack this thread...just a bit excited about this thread. I quit my job in 2004 to work for myself. Scraped, begged stole, painted, worked on the water, cut wood...whatever I have to do to get to the midwest every season. One of the reasons I am self employed -- it affords me a lot of time in the woods.

Its my absolute most favorite thing to do each and every year. We have had some of the best times with buddies on these trips. Memories to last a lifetime.
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:33 am

Awesome thread

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”