2010 deer season / How did you do on bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What was the biggest buck you shot last years gross score?

did not get a buck
35%
0 - 80
6%
81 - 120
16%
121 - 140
25%
141 - 160
14%
161 - 180
2%
181+
2%

Total votes: 51
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

2010 deer season / How did you do on bucks?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:03 am

What was the biggest buck you shot last years gross score??? And do you see a trend of your buck size growing with time and seasons passing?

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Re: 2010 deer season / How did you do on bucks?

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:16 am

112 5/8th 10 point 3 year old.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:22 am

the deer in my avatar, figured it was about a 115" 9 pointer
When better is possible, good is never good enough
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Just shy of 150"

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:18 pm

I had a tough year. Bow hunting was cut short by work. I did pass a nice buck because he had a broken main beam. Rifle hunting in Minn. was tough for sure. The deer numbers have really dropped. I took a small one on the last day to put some meat in the freezer. There were a few big ones running around but I never caught up with them. In northern Wis things were'nt much better. I did give a big one one of a run for his money but crunchy snow did'nt allow me to get close enough. Back in central Wis I chased them with my muzzleloader. I did suprisingly well. I had a good one in front of me but I just couldn't get the sites on him so I never fired a shot. I took a shot at a smaller buck that I was tracking but I must have been using a crooked sabot because the bullet didn't fly where I was aiming. :D :oops:
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I ended up eating my buck tag last year but it was still a very rewarding season. I am fortunate that the area I hunt holds big bucks and I have been progressively targeting larger deer each year because of this and last year I was only after bucks scoring 140 or better that I had located and had pics of on my trail cams. I mis-judged one of the bucks from the pics I had and he ended up getting a free pass my first night in, but he has made it through this winter so he is back on the hit list for this year. I had some nice encounters with bucks like the one in the video below that were not on my hit list and I let them walk. I also had some nice encounters with a couple of my target deer in the 140 or better range including the main one I was after that scored in the 180's which was later found dead by a friend after the season. All in all it was a great season even though I wasn't able to seal the deal.

Here is one of the bucks I passed on in 2010, he was shot a few days later during the first gun season, sorry for the footage, its not the best :shock:

Gibby

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:03 am

For the first time in my life I shot 2 bucks last year. They were both 2.5 yr old 8 pts, I figure they were somewhere around 100" (I dont know though)

I usually shoot a pile of does and a scrubby buck. I am starting to get interested in shooting a nice buck. I wouldnt say I see a trend yet, but if I do get something nice this year I might to start think I am figuring things out.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:26 am

136 gross, shot him Oct 2nd. Not my biggest rack but heaviest deer at 222lbs. I passed a 2.5 yr old urban, hopefully tag him this fall. And have a really good one on private I watched walk past me on the gun opener that made it through the season, I saw him the last evening of muzzloader season too. He'll be a 3.5 this fall mabey a 4.5 with really tall G2's probably score 160 ish.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:35 am

I'd say my skills are getting better every year. I haven't made steps like first a 100", then a 120" then a 140"...It hasen't gone quite that way. If I get one good deer a year in the size range I like, then I'm happy. Once in a while a hoss shows up and I'm even happier. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:51 am

I did not shoot a buck last year even though I had my best year ever for seeing mature bucks. Either they were just out of range or they caught me by surprise and I was never able to get a shot off. I think total I saw 8 bucks that would score over 130" and all were on public land.
The two largest bucks I saw were during late bow season and unbelievably both were bedding and traveling together!! I am excited about the fact that they are more than likely still around and will be that much bigger this year. (Both were over 150"!!)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:41 am

My buck last year grossed 129 and some change, it was only my first season as a beast hunter so my archery success saw a drastic incline in buck size. Before that I would mostly pass 2 year olds and see a rare 3 year old but never got a tag on them.

My goal right now is to consistantly harvest an animal in the P&Y range on public land. When enough of those have fallen to my arrows I will try and up my game from there.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:46 am

Did not shoot a buck last year for the first time since 2007. My target buck minimums are increasing slowly from upper end 2.5 year olds where I hunt, to 3.5+ year old bucks or better. Had a beauty of a 2.5 year old buck come and literally bed down right below my treestand this year. I could not bring myself to shoot him even though he had a good spread and about 9-10 points. I would put him at close to 100 inches. The area he was in would allow me to believe he will be alive and well this year. I hope I see him again this year at 115-120 so I can put an arrow through him. I saw 3, 3.5 year old bucks on the public ground I hunt last year..they were at 35, 40, and 50 yards away in each instance. :( My recurve ain't shooting that far.

I will be honest with you, a 100+ inch buck where I hunt is a pretty darn good buck (top 15% probably). Those 100 inchers tempt me, but I have let them walk the past two seasons, so I think I am over trying to kill them unless something sparks an interest.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:50 am

I only kill one buck each year thats our limit. Last years buck gross 146, he was a public land bow kill. I've never hunted outside of my home state...looking forward to that and possibly some multiple buck seasons in the future. :)

The size bucks I kill (inches) has not really changed much....The first buck I ever shot with a bow scored 136. I believe he was an exceptional 2 1/2 year old. Killed a few smaller and a few bigger since then.

Over all, the mature bucks in my area are much smaller in body weight and a little smaller in score compared to 30 years ago. Our deer where transplanted here from WI....They have adapted very well but only the most suitable for our climate have carried on. My uncle killed a buck that field dressed 286 lbs. back in "82"...Those days are long gone, LOL!!!

P.S. My Dad killed a buck on public land back in "76" that scored 186 and dressed 240 lbs. He had watched him for two years. The buck was only 4 1/2 years old and a direct descendant of a WI. transplant.
Last edited by Autumn Ninja on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:59 am

Shot my biggest at 142" gross. This year was not that great as far as buck sightings. Only saw 2 mature bucks and killed one of them. Definetly getting better in my area though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:21 pm

It sounds like a lot of successful seasons by members even if they ate some tag soup. I got a buck that went about 127".
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”