draw wieght Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

draw wieght Question

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 am

my girl freind wants to start shooting so i was wondering whats the lowest u can drop ur bows draw weight before its not deadly? or whats the legal limit?

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: draw wieght Question

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

I am not sure about other states but Indiana has a 35 lb minimum. You can always start her out lower if need be and she will work up to it in no time. It is better for her to draw 20 pounds comfortably and enjoy shooting then struggling with a higher poundage which will introduce a host of problems with form and the likes.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:03 am

Read the WI regs son ;)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am

Every state is different..Im assuming someone here will know what wisconsin's is..MN is 30# if Im not mistaken. It was always 40#, but I they lowered it a couple years ago.

As far as how light is deadly? Not sure - but I would assume that our DNR did extensive research to make sure 30# was sufficient :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Every state is different..Im assuming someone here will know what wisconsin's is..MN is 30# if Im not mistaken. It was always 40#, but I they lowered it a couple years ago.

As far as how light is deadly? Not sure - but I would assume that our DNR did extensive research to make sure 30# was sufficient :lol:

thanks for the imput guys
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Found this here:
http://www.bowhuntingtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8184

"Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:29 pm"
I compiled this list while doing some research concerning the minimum draw weight. I'm still missing Tennessee and South Carolina. If you are familiar with the minimum draw weight in those states, please fill it in!

Alabama: 35 lbs.

Alaska: 40 pounds peak draw weight when hunting black-tailed deer, wolf, wolverine, black bear, Dall Sheep and caribou

50 pounds peak draw weight when hunting mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox, and bison

Arizona: 40 lbs

Arkansas: 40 lbs

California: All bows used for big game in California have to be able to cast a legal hunting arrow horizontally at least 130 yards.

Colorado: 35 lbs.

Connecticut: 40 lbs

Delaware: No minimum limit

Florida: 35 lbs

Georgia: No minimum limit

Hawaii: (A) Long bows with less than forty pounds of drawing tension at a twenty-eight inch draw;

(B) Recurved bows with less than thirty-five pounds of drawing tension; or

(C) Compound bows with less than thirty pounds of drawing tension.

Idaho: 40 lbs

Illinois: 40 lbs

Indiana: 35 lbs

Iowa: No minimum limit

Kansas: No minimum limit

Kentucky: No minimum draw weight

Louisiana: 30 lbs

Maine: 35 lbs

Maryland: 30 lbs

Massachusetts: 40 lbs

Michigan: 40 lbs

Minnesota: 30 lbs

Mississippi: No minimum

Missouri: a longbow or compound bow of any draw weight; handheld string releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes and quickpoint sights are allowed

Montana: No minimum

Nebraska: 40 lbs.

Nevada: A longbow used in hunting a big game mammal must, in the hands of the user, be capable of throwing a 400 grain arrow 150 yards over level terrain. (The term Longbow also includes compounds)

New Hampshire: 40 lbs

New Jersey: 35 lbs

New Mexico: 40 lbs

New York: 35 lbs

North Carolina: 35 lbs

North Dakota: 35 lbs

Ohio: 40 lbs

Oklahoma: 40 lbs

Oregon: 40 lbs deer/50 lbs elk

Pennsylvania: 35 lbs

Rhode Island: Long bow, recurve, or compound capable of not less than 40 pounds at peak draw weight at peak

South Carolina:

South Dakota: 40 lbs

Tennessee:

Texas: 40 lbs

Utah: 40 lbs

Vermont: Moose--Bows of not less than 60 pound draw weight,
based on the archer's normal draw length for traditional
bows, and using arrowheads with at least 7/8 of an inch
in width with two or more cutting edges.

Virginia: Bow must be capable of casting an arrow with broadhead
at least 7/8 inch diameter (or expandable to that size), minimum of 125 yards

Washington: 40 lbs

West Virginia: 40 lbs

Wisconsin: 30 lbs

Wyoming: 40# or have the ability to cast a 400 grain arrows 160
yards for antelope,deer,sheep,mtn goat.

50# or have the ability to cast a 500 grain arrow 160
yards to hunt

IBEP Instructor
Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff
Carson-Optical Pro Staff
Bullseye Archery Pro Staff (Parker)
Bass Pro Shop, Katy, TX, Archery Pro Staff

35lbs is the bare bones minimum I would dare recommend, 40lbs is much better, 45 does a GREAT job and once you hit 50lbs I feel like you are more or less home free unless you hit a shoulder. JMHO
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Many of the states with minimum weight were set back years ago when bow's were not as efficient. There is more to it then just weight, draw length plays into it as well as arrow weight, broad head type, tuning, SHOT PLACEMENT, etc. I had a cat of all things chew thru half the strings on one of my bows years ago. I was not about to let that ruin my day, so I picked up my wife's high country and went hunting. The bow was maxed at 36lbs and has a fairly short 23" or so draw length. I used cut on contact style head and limited my shot distance to 15yds. I would not hesitate to shoot another deer with that bow. I shot that doe quartering away, but would not recommend that shot with low poundage. Broadside at 15yds or less or no shot imho. My son has a nuclear ice and it will max at 29lbs. If he gets there by season and the min age is removed, he is going hunting. 10yds or less broadside and he should be good to go.
Also DS, Michigan has no min bow weight, unless that just got changed this year.
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm

30 lbs is the min in WI and with the right set-up is plenty to kill a deer. Keep shots under 20 yards and try for broadside or quartering away and your GF will be fine.

With lower poundage and shorter arrows I like light weight cut on contact broadheads. Stinger Bee's 85 grain is what my son shoots.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:30 lbs is the min in WI and with the right set-up is plenty to kill a deer. Keep shots under 20 yards and try for broadside or quartering away and your GF will be fine.

With lower poundage and shorter arrows I like light weight cut on contact broadheads.

X2- i would add to be extra careful of that shoulder on mature deer.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:49 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:30 lbs is the min in WI and with the right set-up is plenty to kill a deer. Keep shots under 20 yards and try for broadside or quartering away and your GF will be fine.

With lower poundage and shorter arrows I like light weight cut on contact broadheads.

X2- i would add to be extra careful of that shoulder on mature deer.

shell be well trained my fellow beast ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

kenn1320 wrote:...Also DS, Michigan has no min bow weight, unless that just got changed this year.
Ken

I didn't even look at what it said about Michigan so I didn't catch that. When it comes to minimum poundage it usually seems to come down to personal opinion and how bad you want to go hunting (or want a family member to go). I have seen the same thing with caliber. Some people say the .223 is an excellent deer cartridge and others say it's to small. I know of a former poacher that said he killed about 100 deer with a .22LR "right behind the ear". He said it dropped them in their tracks. I also know a guy that killed a deer with a 25lb recurve and a target point to the heart at 15yrds. Hit them right and you can kill a deer with a good air gun. Personally I tend to recommend a 35lb minimum, but have no doubt 30lbs could get it done. My dad wouldn't let me hunt until I could shoot 40lbs accurately which is what I shot my first two with back in the 70's. I went exactly half way through shooting a PSE Scamp, Game Getter arrows and Savora 3 blade broadheads. The bows today are much better thats for sure.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
foltzy

Unread postby foltzy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:11 pm

this is a buck my GF shot in 09. she used a mathews ignition set at 32# with a ICS hunter tipped with a 85 grain thunderhead. she penetrated one lung, he was dead within 100 yards.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

foltzy wrote:this is a buck my GF shot in 09. she used a mathews ignition set at 32# with a ICS hunter tipped with a 85 grain thunderhead. she penetrated one lung, he was dead within 100 yards.

Saw a picture of that buck 2 days ago... She seemed pretty excited to talk about it. of a 1st buck! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”