Your most tempting moment ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Your most tempting moment ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:27 pm

I hunted a huge buck a few years back never sealed the deal.But with 2 days left of the season ,me and my dad posted for the night a 1/2 mile from home.We got cold and wasted no time heading home. We round the corner of my Dad's driveway.(He rides horse a lot and that summer had put up a riding arena alongside his driveway. He wanted it to look nice so he planted some kind of wheat grass or something.) And standing 2o feet from his mailbox ,eating that grass was my big buck .
He was at least 160inch.I look at the clock 9 minutes after shooting time.He just strolled around eating that grass at one point almost walked right into the arena .I wanted that buck so bad ,but what would I say when people asked How u get that big guy,Boy you must be a good hunter.Sure I coulda drempt of a good story to tell,about how i hunted him down,and earned the right to hold his big rack in my hands,by my skillfull hunting. But that never would've worked,not for me at least. Most men would,nt dream of breaking into someones house and stealing their Heisman Trophy,Olympic Gold Medal,or maybe their All State Football Medallion.Why ,cause to them it would mean nothing,they did,nt earn it,I guess they could try and claim it was theres but anyone could find out real quick it was a lie. I could easily have that buck on my wall today.Most guys I tell that story too, think i was crazy not to pull that trigger. But I,m O.K. with it. I never saw that buck again after that.One of my Dad,s neighbors actually shot it 2 hours after dark the next weekend .He wounded it and none ever did find him.It,s too bad ,cause he had room on his wall for it next to the 14 pointer he ran down with his pickup the year b4.

Slider1005

Re: Your most tempting moment ?

Unread postby Slider1005 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:05 pm

I personally have never had an opportunity to poach so I can't say I've ever been tempted. But my buddy last season saw this huge buck, and had a good idea of where it's core area was. Only problem was it was inside city limits with no hunting whatsoever. He knew there was an area of woods that was good size, that was private land, that no one ever went on. The only way to access it was by canoe. He was seriously thinking about floating down there into the city, tresspassing, and trying to shoot that buck. We talked and he came to the same conclusion. He would feel guilty every time he looked at that buck on his wall. His conscience wouldn't let him do it. I wouldn't be able to either. It would just kill me to lie every time I told some made up story of how I shot that slob.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 pm

How about if you know someone who poached a deer... Would you turn him? Would you tell him how you felt about it? Or would you ignor it?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Tell him how I felt.

Then ignore him.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 pm

No I've never been tempted! It's sad because I think there is a lot of poaching going on! :evil: As far as city limits deer, some of the biggest SLOBS live protected within major city limits, I feel some of these are probably poached too! I think with the baiting and feeding going on especially up north a lot of bucks get shot out the cabin window or after hours on the pile late season. The number of law enforcement we have policing these idiots is a joke so we need to do everything we can to help them if we suspect this is going on.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:31 pm

I hunted some public in Mo. last fall.
Blew it on a VERY nice buck from the ground. Raised my bow and did not draw. :roll: He was gone 10 seconds after the motion and in those seconds I could not draw. LESSON LEARNED.

I hunted that buck for the next two weeks, saw him 4 times from 50 or so, no shot.
I was still hunting the edge of the public walking in one afternoon.
There he was, standing over a doe. 30 yards away.
I nocked an arrow and drew, he just stood there, lookin at me.
Then I noticed the end of public area sign, half way to him. :shock:

I hope he is there this September.
I guess 180" or so. :mrgreen:

If it aint legal.......................................................its illegal.

If its illegal and involves hunting..................................................its poaching.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 am

I hear ya Marty. The whole reason we hunt is for the pride and to show people what we did and all the hard work. So i never really see the point in poaching. I figure if you poach, you should have a sign on your back that says "Im a Crappy hunter!!"

I have one neighbor that shot a couple doe last season and then had other people tag them. One person being a cop! :shock: This is illegal with the bow. This is the type of guy that i know for a fact steals tree stands. I never turned him in because i don't wanna cause trouble in the neighborhood. But it sure pisses ya off!! What can you do about it though?
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:56 am

I would like to think that if I knew someone who went out after hours and shot a deer I would turn him in.
PredatorTC wrote:I have one neighbor that shot a couple doe last season and then had other people tag them.

Now this is a sticky situation. It goes on all the time. I know a bunch of people who have done that to get their EAB tag. You can party hunt with the gun not the bow, right? I guess I have not turned people in on this one.

Now how do you feel about this situation? I'm pretty sure this is how it went down. A guy I know in passing (wouldn't call him a friend) who doesn't want to give into the DNR and kill all the does. So he shot a slob and registered it 5 miles down the road in a herd reduction zone, no eab required, when he lives in a cwd unit. I'm not totally sure though, but I think this is what happened. I know he didn't have an eab sticker. It's poaching yes, but a good type of poaching? I guess you have to ask if he's willing to do this what else is he willing to do? I'm not sure of the facts though so it's hard to turn him in and ruffle feathers.
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:05 am

Quick story, A guy I work with a few years back was turkey hunting the spring season. When he shot his Tom he also killed a hen behind it. He cleaned the hen and put her directly in the slow cooker. The next day at work it was killing him about what he had done. After work that day he called the warden and turned himself in. He said he felt to guilty about it, and what really bothered him was what kind of an example he was setting for his kids. I think he taught them a valuable lesson. The warden couldn't believe it when he turned himself in, and was nice to him, and only gave him a $300 ticket.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 am

Very interesting topic, Swampthing. To be honest, I could have a number of big bucks if I was a poacher. They were all tempting but never a real thought, probably the most tempting was a net 180 class 12 that would have dressed easily over 300# in Canada. In Michigan's UP I actually had two encounters in a single day... hours before daylight I had left my cabin and just crossed some railroad tracks when a 150 net class beast trotted out in front of me and stood there for several minutes. Later that same day I was on my way back on a completely different road when a buck at least that large trotted out in front of me and hung around for quite a while (after dark). Most recently, this past gun deer season in Michigan heavy pressure public I had a close encounter with one of my target bucks while on stand, he actually exited his bed toward the road. Sure enough, in my truck on the way out there he was just off the side of the road. I put my window down and talked to him for a bit before he trotted off (never done that before!!). I consider each of those encounters a memory of great value, where I had the chance to be a sportsman and do the right thing.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 am

Temptation in Wisconsin was a brutal force of the law with respect to the EAB regulations half the state was battling. Now limited to less than a quarter of the state, mostly around Dane, Walworth, and the other extreme southern Counties of Wisconsin, EAB isn't so much a pain in the brain anymore. . . Especially since those hunters in the EAB CWD zones are allowed to shoot multiple bucks by shooting multiple does, there's incentive.

Myself, as a youngster, there were many tempting situations I experienced - I think it's natural for a youngster learning the ropes and maturing as he/she ages. Thanks to a of sportsman, my father, I was taught respect for the animals we hunt and the fish we caught. That said, when those temptations arose when I'd find myself alone with opportunities before me, my concience (my dads words replaying in my mind) reminded me why I was out there in the first place - not to kill or catch necessarily, but to experience.

With a little growing up, I've developed an even larger respect for the fish and game I hunt. As a boy, my fathers words only made half-sense, but age and experience taught me the true meaning of his words.

That said, let me dispell a terrible reality behind the GIANT double drop tine buck with over 20 points living in an urban environment on the border of Milwaukee and Waukesha Co. This deer was almost hit by a friend of mine, that's when he first showed up. It was during the 2009 rut when he was again seen by my brother in-law and several friends. I knew he was in danger when I started hearing about him at a couple bars I went to in the area - "You're a hunter? Did you see the huge buck around here?"

It's with a heavy heart that I dispell this monarch was seen in a customer of my bro inlaw's back yard with an arrow high above his shoulder. The deer had been shot recently, too, as the man watched the big buck pull the arrow out with his mouth before getting back in the 10 acres of sticks. He now has the arrow and is seeking out the buck and the shooter.

This happened early last month, and to my knowledge, no one has found the sheds or the deer. Is he dead? I hope not, I really hope not - but he could be. I suppose I should get out and start looking for a body. . .

Ask yourself, did this true story make your stomach flip like mine did telling it?
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 am

I was tempting some time...
I don't care what other people think about me, but I really care about what I want to continue to think about myself...
;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:05 am

I've never been tempted to poach. I despise people who do It and won't hesitate to turn their 's In If I have the facts!! I too know a cop who supposedly shot a deer out of his pickup a few years back during our gun season here In Mn. If I would've had more proof I would've turned the SOB In. I know he did It but I just didn't have enough on him to go on with It. His name Is sketched In my head and If I ever hear anymore of this about this cop he's toast.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:43 am

Schultzy - I'm glad you're on our side 8-) love the intensity - and I understand it. There's nothing worse than the idea of others cherrypicking from those things you're passionate about.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:47 am

I do not consider anybody who is tempted to poach a real hunter. I rate them as any other criminal and have called the DNR numerous times to turn them in. :evil:

Nothing irritates me more than somebody that brags about animals they shoot when you know for a fact that they were taken illegaly. I cannot understand how they can get any satisfaction from this. If I had an animal on the wall taken illegally that would be all I would think about every time I looked at it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”