Could you shoot ANY deer when you started hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Where you allowed to shoot ANY deer when you started hunting?

Yes, we could shoot any deer.
65%
No, there were restrictions that we had to abide by.
35%

Total votes: 37
goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Could you shoot ANY deer when you started hunting?

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Its amazing how the wi dnr went from applying for a hunters choice (50% chance at getting a doe tag in most areas)in the early 80s.To shooting endless does in some areas and at least 1 each bow and gun now.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

I seen kids who where introduced to deer hunting by fathers that had great hunting area's and the kids always seemed to get a deer. For them it was all about getting a deer and over the years these kids seemed to drop like flies when they were not getting deer. They seemed to get frustrated or board with hunting and gave it up. On the other hand most of the kids that got few if any deer seemed to enjoy it more and tended to stay into hunting.

I personally have seen both kids that got it good, and a lot of kids that didn't quit...

When I was a kid in school it seemed like all the other kids loved to deer hunt also and getting a deer was just icing on the cake for most. They really wanted one bad, but if they didn't get one they still loved the experience. It was really about everything else like "being one of the guy's" (adults), camp life, enjoying every little thing nature had to show you, scouting, telling stories, etc

Same here... But tell those kids that now they can't participate like the adults because they only get to get out limited and have not earned the right to hunt like the adults because they did not shoot a doe while there fathers did because they had to be in school rather than doe shooting and you loose another hunter... There is absolutly no shortage of deer most anywhere in the midwest that is so bad that a kid should be told he can't shoot a buck and no one will ever convince me of that. Shooting does 1st is suppoesed to be a managment tool to reduce deer populations, driving future hunters out of hunting and having them kill nothing is defeating that purpose.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 am

I threw lead or arrows at every deer that came within distance of me between the ages 12-16 - a lot of those were nubbin bucks :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 pm

virginiashadow wrote:Any deer.

x2!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 pm

When I started, anyone under 16 could shoot a buck or a doe, and 16+ had to apply for a doe tag. Then when I started muzzleloading, we had an 'all-season' tag, This came with a gun tag, a muzzleloader tag, and an archery tag. The gun tag was buck only (unless you applied and got drawn for a doe tag - then it was either sex), the muzzleloader tag was either sex, and the archery tag was either sex. Then a couple years later, the muzzleloader became the same as the gun tag - meaning you had to apply and get drawn in order to shoot a doe with it. The archery tag was still either sex. Of course some of these things varied from zone to zone..

The archery tag is still either sex in most areas of the state, but there are a few areas now (around my hometown) that are buck only. Nobody except youth are allowed to shoot a doe - regardless of weapon.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
GRFox wrote:No AR at all here in NY...

I assume you mean when you started correct?

No in my area in southern NY it is bow only from mid October till December 31st, we have never had any antler restrictions, although I know there are units upstate that do have them and from what I hear, they have done some great things to the deer heard.

Are you from NY? if so where?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:07 am

dan wrote:I personally have seen both kids that got it good, and a lot of kids that didn't quit...

As have I. I didn't intend to imply that all the kids that had it good dropped out or that this is a bad thing. Only that they seemed to drop out much faster than the kids that had to hunt more than a day or two in order to get a deer. The most important thing I have seen is that kids enjoy the whole outdoor experience and see deer regularly and fairly close. I have seen many kids from both sides of the coin quit and stay, but from what I have seen, more of the kids that believed getting the deer was everything drop out than those that learn to focus on and enjoy the whole experience. I think we often put to much emphasis on having to get a deer when it comes to kids. They need to have a GREAT time regardless of whether they get a deer or not.

dan wrote:Same here... But tell those kids that now they can't participate like the adults because they only get to get out limited and have not earned the right to hunt like the adults because they did not shoot a doe while there fathers did because they had to be in school rather than doe shooting and you loose another hunter... There is absolutly no shortage of deer most anywhere in the midwest that is so bad that a kid should be told he can't shoot a buck and no one will ever convince me of that. Shooting does 1st is suppoesed to be a managment tool to reduce deer populations, driving future hunters out of hunting and having them kill nothing is defeating that purpose.

EAB is a whole different animal. I have never had to deal with that or seen the effects of it on people and I think that is a case where an exception should be made.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:31 am

GRFox wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:
GRFox wrote:No AR at all here in NY...

I assume you mean when you started correct?

No in my area in southern NY it is bow only from mid October till December 31st, we have never had any antler restrictions, although I know there are units upstate that do have them and from what I hear, they have done some great things to the deer heard.

Are you from NY? if so where?

I'm from Michigan. The reason I ask is because I talked to Charles Alsheimer a couple years ago when he was in town and he mentioned NY has the same 3" state wide restriction as we do except for certain area's where they decided to implement point restrictions.

Having bow only from mid October till December 31st would be awesome! Is this just a small area or a large section of the state?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:02 pm

We had a 5 day firearms season in dane county and yes, it was an either sex tag.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Are you from NY? if so where?[/quote]
I'm from Michigan. The reason I ask is because I talked to Charles Alsheimer a couple years ago when he was in town and he mentioned NY has the same 3" state wide restriction as we do except for certain area's where they decided to implement point restrictions.

Having bow only from mid October till December 31st would be awesome! Is this just a small area or a large section of the state?[/quote]

Hey sorry for the delayed response but that is a good point about the 3" rule. I know it applies when we gun hunt upstate but I don't believe it applies down by me.

I live in Westchester County which is the immediate suburb of NYC its just this one county that has that season, however I believe long island opens october 1st and runs through December. Its a goods thing but it gets exhausting. Connecticut opens September 15 so we hunt there until NY opens. By the time december rolls around you are so burnt you almost can't wait for season to end. And then when it does.......you cant wait for it to start back up again! Also Connecticut is open September 15- January 31....I've never hunted january tho.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:32 pm

GRFox wrote:...By the time december rolls around you are so burnt you almost can't wait for season to end. And then when it does.......you cant wait for it to start back up again!...

Been there. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”