Most common mistakes...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Most common mistakes...

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:45 am

One of the biggest mistakes I was making was thinking that you could consistently score on big bucks in archery season hunting with your buddies. It's fun to share the woods together in the spring, scouting and go shining together and check out trailcam pics on the computer together, but when it comes down to actually hunting/killing big bucks, it's a solo sport. Andrae touched on this in one of Dan's videos.

My obsession with killing big bucks has caused me to learn as much as I can about big bucks and all the signs point to going after them one on one. I found myself reading book after book trying to get better while my buddies were happy being successful on 2.5 year olds about every 3 years or so. If they weren't as hardcore as me about learning how to kill big bucks, then there's no way they would be as careful as I am about my hunting spots, my entry/exit routes, what wind to use, etc. I bought a Lone Wolf sit & climb before I ever knew who Andrae was, but I knew the "Lone wolf" name fit my hunting style. Now, knowing how hardcore Andrae is, it's no wonder the Lone Wolf stands are the best out there. They were made by someone who uses them.

Don't get me wrong though, my Dad brought my brothers and I up in hunting and I love sharing the woods with my family & friends, but big bucks don't tolerate sloppy tactics. Once I drop the string on a big buck however, I invite my buddies and family to help track/drag and share in some victory pops :D

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:52 am

dan wrote:Old dogs and new tricks... ;)
My old man was not to good at hunting either. To him all deer were a hair bag full of meat. He used to get mad when I would pass deer. He changed with time. Dads are resistant to being taught by there kids. Its like admitting the kid knows more. The best way to teach is by example. When your killing bigger and more bucks Dad will pay attention...

I think I am opening his eyes a little, hopefully I can connect with another nice buck this year, it might just be enough to get his full attention. I haven't bothered to show him Marsh Bucks or Hill Country yet, far too advanced for him at this point.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:35 pm

My situation is a little different than most. My dad has forgotten more about mature bucks than I will probably ever know. He figured out how bucks use terrain, structure, cover, wind, thermals...and much, much more over 30 years ago. This stuff is not advanced....Its an ancient lost art, that Dan is helping resurrect. The Hunting Beast and everything Dan is doing here is AWESOME!!!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Luckily dad is starting to listen to me a little bit, but he still lacks the ambition when it comes to application.
Entry and exits

Being in too big of a hurry to get to his stand I can hear him walk accross the property sometimes....lol

he hunts the same pre-hung stands over and over

same as most I guess....
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:43 pm

xpauliber wrote:One of the biggest mistakes I was making was thinking that you could consistently score on big bucks in archery season hunting with your buddies. It's fun to share the woods together in the spring, scouting and go shining together and check out trailcam pics on the computer together, but when it comes down to actually hunting/killing big bucks, it's a solo sport. Andrae touched on this in one of Dan's videos.

My obsession with killing big bucks has caused me to learn as much as I can about big bucks and all the signs point to going after them one on one. I found myself reading book after book trying to get better while my buddies were happy being successful on 2.5 year olds about every 3 years or so. If they weren't as hardcore as me about learning how to kill big bucks, then there's no way they would be as careful as I am about my hunting spots, my entry/exit routes, what wind to use, etc. I bought a Lone Wolf sit & climb before I ever knew who Andrae was, but I knew the "Lone wolf" name fit my hunting style. Now, knowing how hardcore Andrae is, it's no wonder the Lone Wolf stands are the best out there. They were made by someone who uses them.

Don't get me wrong though, my Dad brought my brothers and I up in hunting and I love sharing the woods with my family & friends, but big bucks don't tolerate sloppy tactics. Once I drop the string on a big buck however, I invite my buddies and family to help track/drag and share in some victory pops :D

Couldn't agree more!! Right on!! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Wind is the biggest lesson for me. Also, entry is a huge part in this so the deer cannot even wind where I walked.

Overhunting, and not having enough bedding spots scouted for virgin sits second.

And, not knowing how to go after them in October and waiting until the rut for them to move. Now I would rather hunt October and forget the rut.

I also agree going after a buck is a solo sport, gotta be stealthy to get in close to them.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:57 am

Some great feedback coming from all you guys. I think the biggest mistakes I have personally made is not getting agressive enough under certain circumstances, and too agressive in others.

I need to not wait to hunt certain areas for perfect conditions sometimes because those perfect conditions often times never come. Winds, cold fronts, and crops standing are several of my most common "wait" moments.

I also have a tendency to over-hunt certain areas because the "only" deer I want to kill lives there. A buck named Point Break was led to the demise of my 2011 season. I had the at 20-30 yards 3 different times and just could NOT get an arrow into him because of the thick timber he lived in, or it was not shooting light.

This year, I'm hunting additional killer ground to make CERTAIN I have multiple shooters to chase throughout the season so I can bounce around more. I've only said this for 23 years now, hopefully this year is the year.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:33 am

I too have made the mistakes listed in previous posts. I think my main one is getting lazy and hunting a location out of convenience. One mistake I made was forgetting to bring a flashlight, and not noticing till dark way back in Horicon Marsh.That was not an experience I want to repeat. Another I have made is taking a guy to some private land I had permission to hunt, Excellent property, I find out this clown went there on his own without any permission, drove through farmers fields and the farmer was not happy. He told the farmer he went there with me and assumed it was ok. WRONG! I no longer have that land to hunt. I usually hunt solo now.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 am

I have been burned like that before.

Lesson learned, I will never that same mistake again.

Pullintoobs wrote:..... taking a guy to some private land I had permission to hunt, Excellent property, I find out this clown went there on his own without any permission, drove through farmers fields and the farmer was not happy. He told the farmer he went there with me and assumed it was ok. WRONG! I no longer have that land to hunt. I usually hunt solo now.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:09 am

bump
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 am

#1 - paying zero attention to the wind
#2 - paying zero attention to how they access.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Sitting the same one maybe two stands ALL the time.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Relying on the rut and spending day after day year after year in a funnel hoping a big buck will walk through it

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Read my sig
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Couple of things come to mind:
The biggest mistake I see guys make is hunting where the bucks don't live. I hear guys say they set up on a picked corn field.
The second biggest mistake I see guys make is scouting the area they are hunting everyday. Get in get out and hunt another day.
Another mistake guys make is hunting in not so good spots to save their good spots. Find more good spots instead of wasting your time in junky spots.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”