Once here, always here?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Once here, always here?

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Does a mature buck call home to the same exact area every year? In area's such as mine deer leave the woods I hunt come winter and find other area's to feed at. I think most deer return when the food runs out or when spring starts showing It's face but I've always wondered If a mature buck always goes back to where he established his home core area?

If he does always return to the same area what are the chances he will bed In the same exact spots he did the year before? The reason I'm asking these questions Is I chased a dandy buck around last fall. Around the end of December he dissapeared. Around the same time a friend of mine that hunts some other land 1.5 to 2 miles north of me saw a buck In his food plot that sounds exactly like the buck I was hunting. They actually found a shed of this buck the other day and I'm trying like to get a hold of this guy to see the shed and see If It's the buck I was hunting. For those who don't know, I hit this buck a tad high In the shoulder so he has my Interest and then some.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Once here, always here?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:25 pm

He will be back. Get him prior to thr rut and changing food sources. I deal with the same things as you.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:36 am

I agree with mobigbucks, I think he will be back its just a matter of what time of the year. In the winter everything gets all screwed up. The snow gets deep and the deer get hungry SO a big buck can be bedding in a completely different area. We keep a few strips of corn in one of our fields the winter and we see a a lot of bucks that we don't normally see. There is one buck that i found the sheds of near the corn that i consistently had trail cam pics of about a mile away during the hunting season. He will be back just like he was last year
I also hunted a buck for 3 years that would be around all summer and we would see him for the first 2 or 3 weeks of the bow season and then he would disappear. I haven't the slightest clue where he went but i knew i had a short period of time to kill him every year.
Hope this helps?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 am

He'll be back to his core area and his preffered bedding site. We had deer all over where I hunt some private land in Waupaca co. After that first big snow they were gone! :shock: Even though there's great bedding on this property they went to another farm that had better food and close bedding near that food source. Even up north spring scouting we see deer toghether all over after melt off! They are still herded up though and after green up they wander back to their home ranges and spread out. If you have a property with great food and bedding late season can be the best hunts of the year imo. In our case we didn't have the food come december and the deer vanished! Hope this helps ya!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 am

There are two words I avoid when describing deer activity... Never, and always...
With that said, I believe that in most circumstances bucks that are wintering somewhere new will return to there core area after winter.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks everyone for your Input!!

dan wrote:There are two words I avoid when describing deer activity... Never, and always...
I'm hearing that allot Dan from guys that consistently kill older bucks. It's not that I never believed that before but It sure tells you something when people say the same exact words. Good stuff Dan, thanks!!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:25 pm

There was a radio collar study done in northern Wis. for (I believe) 5 years or more in the "70's". The study revealed some interesting info on deer patterns. Each buck in the study did his own unique thing. So each deer is different and has his own habits. This is refering to winter migration, summer areas, breeding areas. The real interesting part of the study was that once a buck established a yearly pattern he would do the same thing at almost the same time every year they studied him.
This is great news because you can expect deer to be back year after year! I also agree with Dan about always and never.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”