Are you lucky? or good?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Are you lucky? or good?

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 am

Spysar wrote:Places where people name deer are the easiest places to kill deer..... :think:

Or a huge private farm in Iowa :mrgreen:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 am

Spysar wrote:How many times do you see a buck before it gets a name?

Some times alot threw there life,sometimes just by cam,sometimes by finding his shed,sometimes once. Alot of people manage land, like i do. Its easy to say its easier on private to kill deer, but its not so easy. Private ground if you want to be serious about it means scouting, planting food plots, managing, and working your but off to pay for it. Then its still not a guarantee you will be the only one hunting it. So far i have found 4 dead deer shot by trespassers during the gun season this year, 1 cam, 1 tree stand stolen. Public is im sure very hard not taking any thing away people in and out all the time, but scouting and hanging a stand and hunting is what it mainly consists of.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:27 am

Name a deer hunting trip or name a deer?

Which is gay?

Are both gay?

Are neither gay?

:think:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am

Bucky wrote:
Spysar wrote:Places where people name deer are the easiest places to kill deer..... :think:

Exactly! :mrgreen: Part of the location and time thing.....
Last edited by Spysar on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 am

Zap wrote:Name a deer hunting trip or name a deer?

Which is gay?

Are both gay?

Are neither gay?

:think:

:lol:

Hey now! :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 am

The hunting trip belongs to me. The deer do not. :lol:
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:35 am

:P

Your alright in my book, Spy.....lots to be said for a fellow with a good sense of humor.

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 am

I've been had by the best, so all I can do is laugh. :lol:
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:43 am

Bucky wrote:

what's considered huge?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 am

The farm I was hunting was a 640, but we had permission on ajioning 200 to the west, and 120 to the east, and 80 to the north. All the neighbors were friendly. We shot 2 does(our tags) for 2 of the neighbors that wanted meat and didn't hunt.

A good size farm and 3 of us hunted while I was there. The farm owner lets other people hunt to sometimes so there is a little pressure.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 am

Spysar wrote:The farm I was hunting was a 640, but we had permission on ajioning 200 to the west, and 120 to the east, and 80 to the north. All the neighbors were friendly. We shot 2 does(our tags) for 2 of the neighbors that wanted meat and didn't hunt.

A good size farm and 3 of us hunted while I was there. The farm owner lets other people hunt to sometimes so there is a little pressure.

I'd say that qualifies for huge! Heck of a piece you got there Spy
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 am

Spysar wrote:How many times do you see a buck before it gets a name?

See him once plus a season worth of trail cam pics.

Rarely do I name something less than 4.5 unless the potential is clearly evident at 3.5.

Most of the guys I know that hunt well managed pieces start naming at 2.5. I consider this a waste of time in most of the places I hunt. A lot of these bucks get shot. At 4.5, they are a proven survivor.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 am

I'm still to this day trying to figure out what is luck and what is skill. About 25 years ago a very good friend of mine said to me "you are just plain lucky, you kill a good buck way too often not to be lucky". He had been drinking and kind of told me what he was thinking. I told him "you are correct I am lucky".

A few days later he asked me to go fishing with him. I said "I'm going deer hunting can't go". He caught some fish, I killed a buck. A week later I asked him if he wanted to go fishing (I had used my buck tag) so I was done. He said sure. We absolutely killed the walleyes that day on the Mississippi river. We limited out and were culling fish, that is how good it was. We used 3/8 oz. lead head jig (and a cheater treble hook), with a 1.5 inch chartreuse twister, tipped with a live minnow. Just for reference purposes.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but I killed a nice buck and then went fishing. My friend went fishing and then went fishing again. He didn't kill a buck that year. Here's the deal, I was lucky I went hunting instead of fishing. So I do consider myself lucky when it comes to hunting. :think: Man those fish were way better tasting than venison though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:10 am

Stanley wrote:I'm still to this day trying to figure out what is luck and what is skill. About 25 years ago a very good friend of mine said to me "you are just plain lucky, you kill a good buck way too often not to be lucky". He had been drinking and kind of told me what he was thinking. I told him "you are correct I am lucky".

A few days later he asked me to go fishing with him. I said "I'm going deer hunting can't go". He caught some fish, I killed a buck. A week later I asked him if he wanted to go fishing (I had used my buck tag) so I was done. He said sure. We absolutely killed the walleyes that day on the Mississippi river. We limited out and were culling fish, that is how good it was. We used 3/8 oz. lead head jig (and a cheater treble hook), with a 1.5 inch chartreuse twister, tipped with a live minnow. Just for reference purposes.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but I killed a nice buck and then went fishing. My friend went fishing and then went fishing again. He didn't kill a buck that year. Here's the deal, I was lucky I went hunting instead of fishing. So I do consider myself lucky when it comes to hunting. :think: Man those fish were way better tasting than venison though.

You should write for Chinese Cookie Companies - that would be a lucky job right there! :mrgreen:
Love ur logic Stanley - plain and simple...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:14 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:I'm still to this day trying to figure out what is luck and what is skill. About 25 years ago a very good friend of mine said to me "you are just plain lucky, you kill a good buck way too often not to be lucky". He had been drinking and kind of told me what he was thinking. I told him "you are correct I am lucky".

You should write for Chinese Cookie Companies - that would be a lucky job right there! :mrgreen:
Love ur logic Stanley - plain and simple...

lol! love it Ed

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”