Fawn Capture Study

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Fawn Capture Study

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am

Today, I volunteered to help catch fawns for a study being done in cooperation with UW Madison and the WI DNR. We were in the shicton/ Bear Creek area on some private land. The study's objective is to find out the mortality rate of fawns and determine what was the cause of death if possible. After catching the fawns, they were tattooed, ear tagged and radio collared. We ended up catching 8 fawns, 6 of which were radio collared. They only collared one if they determined they were twins. 2 fawns were too fast to be caught. Here are some pics.
This last one is a video, don't know if it works or not.

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Fawn Capture Study

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 am

Yes the video worked for me. Thanks for sharing. Curious how you were able to find so many fawns, and that video area is wide open woods. I would not have thought a doe would leave her fawn in an area like that. I guess however that depends on the area your in and they use what they have......

Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 am

very cool to be able to participate in the study, Black Squirrel- it will be interesting to hear the results your group comes up with.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am

8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 26, 2011 11:49 am

kenn1320 wrote:Yes the video worked for me. Thanks for sharing. Curious how you were able to find so many fawns, and that video area is wide open woods. I would not have thought a doe would leave her fawn in an area like that. I guess however that depends on the area your in and they use what they have......

Ken

I agree, but that's where we found 6 of 8, only 2 were in pretty thick stuff. This particular farm seemed to have alot of deer. We found 2 dead bucks, a dead doe and I found a shed! All bucks were 1.5 year olds including the shed. We had about 20 people and just walked a line, most fawns were close to field edges too.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 pm

I just wonder how much catching, touching, and collaring will affect mortality.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 pm

How many acres combined did your group search to locate 10 fawns?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I just wonder how much catching, touching, and collaring will affect mortality.

They claim it won't affect mortality. I guess they will be able get some numbers since if a collared fawn dies, they will know it.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 26, 2011 1:42 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:How many acres combined did your group search to locate 10 fawns?

About 130 acres.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Interesting. always good to get data, but as Magic stated wonder what, if any, impacts this activity will have.

That was a heck of a fawn bleet that little one was giving out. Hope the presence of the group kept the predators away after that fawn bleeting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:02 am

In that first pic, did you guys find that fawn with the debri on it, or did you put that on as you left? Would be interesting if the doe did that, or do you think it somehow stuck when the fawn layed down in a different position?

I read an article where some farmer found a buck fawn and they tagged its ear with a cow tag. It was in a QDM issue and I dont recall the details, but it was interesting. Either them or a neighbor ended up shooting the deer years later. Would be great if a guy could colaborate with his neighbors and mark a deer or two and say off limits just to see how it evolves over the years. Of course Im guessing that would be illegal?

Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri May 27, 2011 7:31 am

kenn1320, They would wipe the fawn with the debris, to reduce human scent. They also tried to use latex gloves to keep scent to a minimal, but if you look the usually have the fawn nestled between there legs. They also didn't wear the gloves on every fawn. The fawn pic with debris was one that didn't run after being released. The younger the fawn the more apt it is to stay put, so after wiping it down they just left it.[quote="kenn1320"]In that first pic, did you guys find that fawn with the debri on it, or did you put that on as you left? Would be interesting if the doe did that, or do you think it somehow stuck when the fawn layed down in a different position?
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:03 pm

What they didnt spray em down with scent killer, or make you guys were scentlock? :lol: :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”