Becoming a Predator

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

Re: Becoming a Predator

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm

dan wrote:
I have an admission here. When I first watched the Marsh Bucks video I was pretty unhappy with Dan (That's actually a BIG understatement). I spent over 30 years hunting swamps and to a lesser extent marshes. I learned a ton and never believed anyone knew all that stuff, but me. Some yes, but not all of it (I know, I was nieve & had a big head ) and here is this guy on my TV giving out all "my" secrets. For FREE!!!

Believe it or not, thats probably the most consistant complaint I get about the video's and this site... Good hunters that have spent years learning these tactics thru hard work offended that I am giving those secrets away without being "earned"...
When Andrae 1st watched Marsh bucks, he slapped me on the back with a smile and "jokingly" said, well there goes my book!

I have tried to get a good trapper, and others to come on the site with other topics and offer expert advice in those fields and keep hearing... No way I am giving up my secrets!
Thats a shame... Because by educating others and comparing stratagies we continue to gro our sport.
When young or new hunters come here and learn how to succeed, rather than start out failing, they stick to hunting and pass those skills on.
Thats one of the main reasons trapping is failing,. Trappers are so secretive of there tactics that a lot of newbies fail and have no place to turn for info and end up quiting... Soon there sport will die because of that..

To me, I am not so hung up on my own success that I don't enjoy watching others succeed... If I never shoot another buck ever, I am still very happy with my hunting success.

It seems that in our society these days, there is so much grandstanding going on. Everything from what we see on TV or the computer ( Facebook, amercian idol, reality shows, etc.) the " look at me and what I've done" seems to be the common message. Even our politicans and business leaders have jumped on the bandwagon, and our news media is happy to feed us this BS. We certainly have lost some of the values that we have been taught over the last couple of generations.

The measure of a man isn't in his achievements or accomploishments. The true measure of a man is to help others to achieve things that they didn't believe were possible, and enjoy their success.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon May 30, 2011 9:35 am

Tadmdad wrote:...It seems that in our society these days, there is so much grandstanding going on. Everything from what we see on TV or the computer ( Facebook, amercian idol, reality shows, etc.) the " look at me and what I've done" seems to be the common message. Even our politicans and business leaders have jumped on the bandwagon, and our news media is happy to feed us this BS. We certainly have lost some of the values that we have been taught over the last couple of generations...

For me it wasn't about grandstanding or anything like that. It was more about.... Oh crap, now everybody will know this stuff and the few mature bucks that exist on our heavily hunted public land will disappear.

Tadmdad wrote:...The measure of a man isn't in his achievements or accomploishments. The true measure of a man is to help others to achieve things that they didn't believe were possible, and enjoy their success.

That's good stuff Tadmdad.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

One thing I've taken from this video is that no matter how many people watch these DVDs, there are still those guys/girls that will put off realistic tactics and rather rely on luck because they're just not willing to work for it. Some of my hunting buddies got bored watching these videos actually.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 31, 2011 3:46 pm

jack_4mn wrote:One thing I've taken from this video is that no matter how many people watch these DVDs, there are still those guys/girls that will put off realistic tactics and rather rely on luck because they're just not willing to work for it. Some of my hunting buddies got bored watching these videos actually.

I know what you mean!! Most people want instant success and don't want to work for it. This is the reason that I don't share my Marsh Bucks and Hill Country Bucks dvd's with too many people because most are not ready for them. When I think they are dedicated enough then I will tell them about them.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:19 pm

It's safe to say that I love scouting more than hunting. Many might not want to put in the effort to scout because they think it's hard work. I have the advantage because for me it's fun. To me sitting for hours and hours in a tree is boring but in order to close the deal I have to do it. I think that's why I enjoy tracking so much. It's like scouting and hunting all rolled into one.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 pm

magicman54494 wrote:It's safe to say that I love scouting more than hunting. Many might not want to put in the effort to scout because they think it's hard work. I have the advantage because for me it's fun. To me sitting for hours and hours in a tree is boring but in order to close the deal I have to do it. I think that's why I enjoy tracking so much. It's like scouting and hunting all rolled into one.

I agree with what your saying. Not that I still don't want to shoot deer but it's not the driving force it once was.

Today was my last day of picking up bear baits for the DNR study and found my self wandering looking at deer sign. Two spots look real good with one being almost text book perfect.......walked by it for the last 8 years until learning what really to look for. Never would have guessed a buck beds in this spot......but one sure does.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:42 am

magicman54494 wrote:It's safe to say that I love scouting more than hunting. Many might not want to put in the effort to scout because they think it's hard work. I have the advantage because for me it's fun. To me sitting for hours and hours in a tree is boring but in order to close the deal I have to do it. I think that's why I enjoy tracking so much. It's like scouting and hunting all rolled into one.

Same here,Magic.Sittin in a tree is excruciating for me.But I love scouting.I wish I could do more tracking,but. With only smaller woodlots it's kinda tough. But whenever I get achance to hunt up north in the big woods it sure is fun to go tracking.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:19 am

I'm with you all. I think the scouting is the funnest part figuring out the deer. I like the harvest also but that's short lived. The scouting goes on all year which is what I enjoy. I also enjoy helping others scout their properties and seeing the different lays of the land in other areas.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:06 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:...It seems that in our society these days, there is so much grandstanding going on. Everything from what we see on TV or the computer ( Facebook, amercian idol, reality shows, etc.) the " look at me and what I've done" seems to be the common message. Even our politicans and business leaders have jumped on the bandwagon, and our news media is happy to feed us this BS. We certainly have lost some of the values that we have been taught over the last couple of generations...

For me it wasn't about grandstanding or anything like that. It was more about.... Oh crap, now everybody will know this stuff and the few mature bucks that exist on our heavily hunted public land will disappear.

No problem DS.....my earlier comments weren't directed at anyone, more a observation of the society that we live in today. And probably was off topic from the OP. But I find it increasing rare thesedays the willingness to share ideas and successful tactics with other hunters, just look around the hunting industry has become a big business, products, sales/marketing, TV celebrities, and most of it is a bunch of crap. It just seems to be a big competition to shoot the biggest buck, who cares, it just takes away from our sport IMO.

As I read through some of the post in this thread.....as a hunter (predator) is a lifelong journey, and the way our sport is going to be sucessful is bringing in new hunters and sharing ideas, so they can to enjoy what we already enjoy about our sport. Theres a old saying " a rising tide raises all boats", but that perspective isn't prevalent thesedays, but it has been in the past.

And I agree with Dan, still enjoy going one on one with mature bucks, but I never kill another one the rest of my days, I'd be ok with that. But seeing others become sucessful is a right of passage, and I find that attitude in these times very refreshing, it's time to pass the torch.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:40 am

dan wrote:
To me, I am not so hung up on my own success that I don't enjoy watching others succeed... If I never shoot another buck ever, I am still very happy with my hunting success.

I just had to quote this.....That is the funniest thing I have ever heard...Dan not shooting another buck :lol:

I know he meant just hypothetical, but it's still funny. The big buck serial killer HAS to shoot more bucks....it's what he does. :D
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:34 am

Tadmdad wrote:... just look around the hunting industry has become a big business, products, sales/marketing, TV celebrities, and most of it is a bunch of crap...

Yup, if everybody knew the truth there would be a HUGE changes.

xpauliber wrote:
dan wrote:

I just had to quote this.....That is the funniest thing I have ever heard...Dan not shooting another buck :lol:

I know he meant just hypothetical, but it's still funny. The big buck serial killer HAS to shoot more bucks....it's what he does. :D

:lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Yup, if everybody knew the truth there would be a HUGE changes.

Shhhhhhh don't tell everyone. I also have to agree about people being shown exactly how to get on nice bucks but they aren't willing to do the work.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Don't know how to attach a link with a cell phone, so will bring this one ttt. One of my favorite threads.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Tadmdad wrote:Don't know how to attach a link with a cell phone, so will bring this one ttt. One of my favorite threads.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Good idea Tad...! ;)
Very fitting.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:I'm still trying to take it all in!!! I didn't get into hunting whitetails with bow until 5 -6 years ago, so everything in the videos to me is a learning curve.

I would look at it a different way, sometimes it is easier to learn something new than to unlearn bad habits picked up over a couple decades of doing things just so ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”