The but Kickin' 8

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JRM6868
The Terminator

The but Kickin' 8

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:46 am

I call this buck the "but Kickin'8".
He was seen by 2 other guys. One guy saw him fighting another buck 80yards down the hill from him and he ran the other buck off in the morning. The other guy saw him the next weekend hunting a field edge running another smaller buck all around the field in and out of the woods,gored this deer in the but and chasing him all over the place for an hour. He was growling and everything else the guy said.He had shot at him at 38 yards and missed him. He said the buck didn't even know what happened and started chasing another buck out of the field. This area is 2 hours away from the house and I knew I couldn't hunt it for 2 weeks.I was down there visiting some friends at the time when they were telling me all this.All this was happening around the third week of October which seemed a little early for this much aggression but there may have been alot more bucks that year and the competiton was higher.

They were hunting the travel and food not the bed. I was familiar with the bedding in the area which was approximately a 1/4 mile from where they were hunting. This area has a clearcut that there is always a buck in a certain area and there is every year. This year he definitely was the dominant buck in the area. I did a midday scout and found a buck bed but didn't know if it was his or not and I found me a tree and got out of there.The first time I had a chance to hunt was 2 weeks later and I ended up with bronchitis. My hunting was reduced that year because of work and I wasn't going to pass it up. I ended up hiking about 1/4 mile to my stand location with my bow and stand on my back about dying for air because of being sick. I ended up getting in my stand a little later than I wanted but got settled in. At about 9:15 here he came heading to his bed. He stopped broadside at what I thought was about 35 yards and I released an arrow. I saw the arrow hit him a little low. After he ran off I waited about 25 minutes and got down and retrieved my arrow that had passed through him. Good blood. As I stood there I got my rangefinder out and shot the tree and saw that it was actually 42 yards so that's why my shot was low. I started to follow the blood trail and quickly got winded and stopped.I called my buddies and they came to help track. They showed up and said I looked like S%&T and shouldn't of been in a tree. We tracked the deer with me having to stop every so often to catch my breath and they kept tracking. They found the buck 250 yard away. They yelled and said he's a stud! Up until this point all I knew was that he was a shooter and I never really knew how big he actually was because it all only took about 45 seconds to see him,stop broadside and shoot. I saw he had mass and tine length and I knew he was a shooter.
As I was gutting him out my broadhead had slit the top of the heart and slit the bottom of both lungs. He had a heck of a blood trail but must have taken him longer to bleed out and not enough cut in both lungs to deflate them.

He ended up gross scoring 153".

tim
500 Club

Re: The but Kickin' 8

Unread postby tim » Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 am

great buck. i had the misery of hunting sick last year also but didnt know when to quit and ended up in the emergency room and everything else. then stayed sick most of the winter. i hope that crap dont happen this tear. whats a hunter to do though, we wait all year and just cant sit on the sidelines 8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed May 25, 2011 4:02 am

Another GREAT buck, with a GREAT story behind it!!! CONGRATS!! Keep-m coming ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 am

Nice... Ironically, my best eight pointer I shot sick too..
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed May 25, 2011 4:29 am

Great 8 pointer!! He looks lean and mean, like he ran some weight off too!! He sure was a BOSS in that area :shock:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 am

Sweet! 8-)
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 am

Nice buck, big body on that deer what did he weight?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 25, 2011 8:38 am

Great 8!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 am

That is a heck of an eight!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Stuart wrote:Nice buck, big body on that deer what did he weight?

I never weighed him but I would guess in the 200# range field dressed.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Awesome deer Joe!!! I think once again we see this consistent focus of seeing the story and making the play off the bedding, making the difference.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed May 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Another stud of a buck with another great story JRM! Congrats!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”