hunting beast buck bed cam?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: hunting beast buck bed cam?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 am

Spysar wrote:The activity needed to set this up would make any smart buck leave forever...

It would be a one time set up and it wouldn't take long to set up. No worse than scouting his area and finding his bed. There would be nothing to go back for. You could have continuous video 24/7 month after month.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 am

Spysar wrote:I got to thinking, and I remember a thread, maybe on AT...It was a series of trail cam picks from throughout the year of a mature buck repeatedly using the same bed. I recall the guy being from out of state and he was getting the pics in Ohio. :?:

The thread was really cool. So many pics of the buck in his bed.

I remember back when those cams came out. I thought they were going to be extremely popular, but then I looked into how you get the pics to your computer and found a price chart. You have to go through their service. :shock: :shock: :shock: It ain't cheap. Especially considering you have to pay for a whole year. You can't just pay for a couple months. I would probably need the best package to get all the pics and I can't see around $1,200 per camera per year and the camera's aren't cheap either.

dan wrote:They have two different trail cameras now that email you images, or send them to a remote device. Even that with a large battery pack and solar charger would be cool to have the pictures up as they are sent.

They need cell coverage don't they? I know the first company had very poor reviews from Chasing Game. They said the picture quality was extremely bad. I should check into the again. Hopefully they get it right.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed May 25, 2011 10:57 am

is this the buck bed in ohio? using the old barn to bed....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... ode=hybrid
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 25, 2011 11:13 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:is this the buck bed in ohio? using the old barn to bed....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... ode=hybrid

Not the one I was thinking of.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 am

They need cell coverage don't they? I know the first company had very poor reviews from Chasing Game. They said the picture quality was extremely bad. I should check into the again. Hopefully they get it right.

There is one now that you don't have to have a cell phone plan with... It sends the picks up to a mile either to your remote device, or to the next camera... I hear it has some bugs too... Kinda like the two way radios they say go up to a mile but really go about an 1/8 of a mile.
I am not sure how you deal with the picks when they get to the hand held or home device. But its probably a downloadable deal...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

I would think you could build a water proof enclosure for one of those survaliance cam recorders, set it 75yds or better from the bed and run power to it. Wire several cameras to it and leave it. It wouldnt be "live" but who cares? Then you only need to go to the recorder to retrieve the data, keeping your scent out of the bucks bedding area. Those survaliance cam set ups can be had for $300 or so if I had to guess. Now how many extension cords would it take??? :shock: Actually it might not be that bad. My dad has a buck bedding within 100yds of his barn, and you hear storys all the time about bucks bedding in the thick brush just outside of the normal mowed yard. Doesnt have to be a slob to learn a thing or two.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Spysar wrote:The activity needed to set this up would make any smart buck leave forever...

I was thinking the same thing!!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 pm

It would be cool to set a standard trail camera over a buck bed and just leave it there all season. I,ve been scouting "Beast" style for two springs now and have a list of buck beds that I haven't got a hunting set-up on yet. If I get the gumption I will try to get a camera set-up over a couple of these beds. These would be SE Wisconsin public land marsh/swamp territory. Going "pubic" with this idea here on this thread should push me to actually get it done. I thought I was done with the leg work this spring ( battleing a case of poison oak or chiggers from my scouting-Yikes!).Anyways, I'll report back if I have something of interest.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 26, 2011 1:22 am

I personally think that once you bump a buck from his bed and then set a camera up on it he will likely change locations. The only way I think you could get this to work is to 1)know that specific bucks bedding locations 2)get in and set the cameras up on a rainy day so your scent is kept way minimum 3)wind would also have to be perfect.

To me it's not worth it to potentially bump a shooter off my property just to get pictures of him sleeping.

Just an opinion but I'd say more work/hassle with very limited upside.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:35 am

muddy wrote:I personally think that once you bump a buck from his bed and then set a camera up on it he will likely change locations. The only way I think you could get this to work is to 1)know that specific bucks bedding locations 2)get in and set the cameras up on a rainy day so your scent is kept way minimum 3)wind would also have to be perfect.

To me it's not worth it to potentially bump a shooter off my property just to get pictures of him sleeping.

I think your missing the point. It would be a great learning tool and hopefully help promote " the beast". I never intended this to be a tool for havesting a buck. It would be a wealth of info about bedding habits. We could see how wind direction, speed, weather etc. effects his use of that bed. It would be neat to see how long it would take him to start using the bed again after being bumped. After a set time the buck could be tested by repeated bumping to see how much he would take before relocating. We could see how many different deer use a specific bed. I would also like to see how the rut affects his use of his primary bed. I disagree that setting up a camera on a well established bed would drive the deer away. Constantly returning probably would. If you think about it the whole basis of Dan's hunting philosophy is based on hunting a bucks bed. A bed cam would be a perfect fit IMO.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:47 am

I think your missing the point. It would be a great learning tool and hopefully help promote " the beast". I never intended this to be a tool for havesting a buck. It would be a wealth of info about bedding habits. We could see how wind direction, speed, weather etc. effects his use of that bed. It would be neat to see how long it would take him to start using the bed again after being bumped. After a set time the buck could be tested by repeated bumping to see how much he would take before relocating. We could see how many different deer use a specific bed. I would also like to see how the rut affects his use of his primary bed. I disagree that setting up a camera on a well established bed would drive the deer away. Constantly returning probably would. If you think about it the whole basis of Dan's hunting philosophy is based on hunting a bucks bed. A bed cam would be a perfect fit IMO.
muddy wrote:I personally think that once you bump a buck from his bed and then set a camera up on it he will likely change locations. The only way I think you could get this to work is to 1)know that specific bucks bedding locations 2)get in and set the cameras up on a rainy day so your scent is kept way minimum 3)wind would also have to be perfect.

I agree with Magic. While Im new to the beast, I know Ive covered a lot of ground in years past and didnt stumble onto buck beds like I did this year. My point is good bedding is not that common and I dont think a buck will just abandon it that easily. Plus if its a good bedding area, another buck will likely take it over shortly after the other buck stops using it. On the one video, Andre goes in and bumps the buck, clears like crazy and has a group of dogs run the deer off right in front of him. He comes back and still shoots that buck. I think deer get bumped more often then we know. Here on the beast we all walk in and look at the bed, whats the diff if we hung a cam up out of the way before we left?

Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 am

Hunting in the staging area very close to the bed generally gives you one chance to get that buck then he is gone for a couple weeks do to your scent... Getting that scent right next to the bed would be far worse.... However, bucks would start using the bed again ( if its a good primary bed ) and if it was indeed a one tim set it would work minus the origanal spooking time...
Who knows for sure though, I have seen some bucks come right back to the bed the day after getting spooked like with the "bump & dump" tactic....
I do know that if I was running those cameras that email you the pictures and they had enough battery life to last a season, it would not even be fun or sporting because I could check each mornning to see which bed the buck is in and hunt it that evening...

Where I think this idea would work is if a guy did NOT do it in his hunting area, but rather in a park or non-hunting area where he would not be screwing up a good bed and could target the best buck beds without worry of ruining the falls hunt.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 am

magicman54494 wrote:

Yes, it would be a great tool to get people here, I agree and I did sort of branch off on my own little tangent. I still will disagree and say that the intrusion into the area will push deer out and in the end the camera will likely be sitting there filming grass grow.

No offense meant, just my opinion/speculation.

If a person could do this and if it didn't bother the population it would be fantastic and fun to watch.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 am

Just to clarify my thoughts, you wouldnt go set this up in September, you would do it in the spring when we normally scout. Im also referring to something with a one time setup.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 26, 2011 7:40 am

kenn1320 wrote:Just to clarify my thoughts, you wouldnt go set this up in September, you would do it in the spring when we normally scout. Im also referring to something with a one time setup.

This is exactly right. I see no problem with going out in March or April for a few hours and putting in a system the buck would never know was there. No noise and a camera only slightly bigger than your thumb plus a small hood on it. A little bigger if you want IR (no red glow). I'm not talking a bulky cam that sends pictures, has a red IR glow and makes noise when it activates.

I still think it's financially not worth it, but I could be wrong. However, I have no doubt it wouldn't bother the deer if properly set up. In order to have it on the Beast I think it has to be on public land and there is nothing saying you have to hunt it. :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”