Buck Mounts, How Many?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Buck Mounts, How Many?

Unread postby Spysar » Mon May 23, 2011 4:56 am

How many buck mounts is too much?

How many buck mounts do you have? How many skull mounts? How many that are too small and laying in a box or in the garage? And lastly, how many deer do you figure you've killed in your lifetime, buck and does?...

I'll chime in with my answers later...
Last edited by Spysar on Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Re: Buck Mounts, How Many?

Unread postby Spysar » Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 am

Pics welcome too...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 23, 2011 5:42 am

I don't think you can have too many buck mounts but my wife may disagree with that!! :oops: Right now I only have three buck shoulder mounts but bear and fish mounts take up plenty of other space on the walls.

Most of my smaller bucks I have shot are mounted on wood plaques but since 2002 I have decided to not shoot any more small bucks and focus on older deer instead.

I have shot just over 20 deer since 1994 and never more than two deer in a year with one bow kill and one gun kill since I will only kill what my wife and I can eat in a year. Of these only four were gun kills and the rest were bow kills. I have never been a hardcore gun hunter and prefer to kill them with my bow. A few years I got skunked!! :( but that happens when you start passing smaller bucks.

I'm sure these numbers are on the low side compared to others here but all of these deer were taken on highly pressured public land so killing any deer can be very tough most years.

After seeing your buck pics in the past Spysar I don't think many of us can compare to what you have done. You definately have my respect!! 8-)
Last edited by Dewey on Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon May 23, 2011 6:26 am

I can only think that if you run out of wall space you might have too many mounts, but you can always get another house, right?
Due to lack of funds and being 26, i feel i have shot 4 bucks worthy of a headmount, but i've only had 1 european mounted....I have 12 racks of my own laying around in my dad's pole barn, add his and there are close to 30. It took me awhile to think and i am probably forgetting a couple but i came up with 14 doe (3 w/bow) and 13 bucks (4 w/bow)
When better is possible, good is never good enough
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 am

I only have room for 6 in my house so as they come in I knock off deer in the house and they go to our camp in the UP. Since I started mounting my own I have a freezer of capes I need to do. My shop has more skulls and sheds in it then house or camp. I have bow hunted since I was 12 years old (41now) and most of the years I have killed multiple deer. I kill generally 3 does and a decent buck each year now. So I think Ive killed 50- 60 deer with a bow. I would say Ive killed 15 deer in the 110-130" range, and 4 in the 130-160" range.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 am

0 bucks worthy of a shoulder mount :cry: Thats why I found this place!

I have a few smaller racks from when I was young..probably a half dozen or so, until I realized I wasnt getting much thrill out of killing the little ones and wanted mature deer.

In my lifetime (12 years of deer hunting - most of it with a shotgun), I have killed something like 12-15 deer I suppose. Nothing to brag about, but I would say I didnt start really learning about deer hunting until I started bowhunting 5 years ago, and I didnt start learning about mature buck hunting until I found Dan's dvds and this site.

Ive eaten tag soup for the past 3 or 4 seasons..
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 am

Dan can we see some of your bucks that you talked about in your articles...?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 am

Spysar wrote:How many buck mounts is too much?

That's up to the individual. I have a couple buddies (brothers) who live together and I think they have over 40 shoulder mounts in their house, it's ridiculous because It's a freaking rack attack to the heart when you walk in.

Spysar wrote:How many buck mounts do you have?

Six. A 130, a 146, a 156, a 157, a 158, and a 163

Spysar wrote:How many skull mounts?

Five I think. A 120, a 130, a 143, a 145, and a 159

Spysar wrote:How many that are too small and laying in a box or in the garage?

About a dozen I suppose, skull caps ranging from 75 inches to 140 before I found the awesomeness of skull boiling.

Spysar wrote:And lastly, how many deer do you figure you've killed in your lifetime, buck and does?...

Bucks - Approx 23 or so?
Does - A lot, 100+
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon May 23, 2011 10:18 am

Buck mounts, not enough! 1 buck mount from my archery buck last year. 3 other nice bucks about the same size I put on boards on the wall. A couple of those I thought about mounting but I held off for one reason or another. Probably 10 or so smaller bucks in the garage. I would say I have taken 20 does maybe, there have not been a lot of extra doe tags in the MN areas I hunt or that number could me much higher.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 am

Muddy, you will have to let me in on the awesomeness of skull boiling. Is it as easy as it sounds?? Never tried it
When better is possible, good is never good enough
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 am

I have 0 shoulder mounts. I only have arrowed two bucks at 100+ inches, the biggest being a 115. So really nothing to mount. But even if I did kill something really big, I don't believe I would shoulder mount it. I cannot justify spending $400 or so to mount something when I have bills to pay. I have 1 european mount and about 7 other racks on plaques. So I have 6 bow bucks and 1 muzzleloader buck on plaques I believe (homemade and redneck looking plaques). Prior to 2002 I did not keep any of the racks from the bucks I killed nor did I take any pictures. Kind of wish I did now.

Not really sure how many deer I have killed over the past 19 seasons. My guess is I have killed 15-20 bucks and like 25-30 does. Of that 40-50 deer, 20+ have come with a bow and that is all I hunt with these days.

Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue May 24, 2011 3:16 am

Spysar wrote:How many buck mounts is too much?

How many buck mounts do you have? How many skull mounts? .

LOL, lost count on my end. Enough that a room had to be built for all of them.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:37 am

Muddy I like this deer with the brows and the way the tines sweep in towards the center. 8-)

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:38 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:Muddy, you will have to let me in on the awesomeness of skull boiling. Is it as easy as it sounds?? Never tried it

Very easy for me. I have a buddy who does it for me in exchange for a case of beer!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue May 24, 2011 3:46 am

In my 5 years of hunting whitetails (bow only) I have tagged 3 bucks. 1 Shoulder mount, 1 euro mount, and 1 on a plaque. I have yet to tag a doe, not that I don't want to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”