Low Land Thermal Tunnel?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Low Land Thermal Tunnel?

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:27 am

Bump. Some really good posts on this shorter thread

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 am

Wow forgot about this old thread, a great time for an update. There is certainly no low land thermal tunnel but we have talked about thermal mixing zones in many thread over the years and I find a lot of good bedding areas in or near these thermal mixing zones so keep that in mind when bed hunting. Also an update on the bed, after more scouting and putting the pieces together this is a rut bed, the bucks are bedding downwind of an overlooked doe bedding area and of course use the wind, does and thermals to keep himself safe. Since my original post we have taken two great bucks from this area, unfortunately I was not the one to get them but still fun to see a nice buck get shot by our group. One was a nice 3 year old 8 chasing some does closer to the doe beds. Another was a monster 13 pointer, probably a 5 year old buck that was taken on the ridge not far from the beds I located. The buck population and deer population has been pretty low since my post but things have been picking up so I hope to see a little more consistent use out of this bed. Pressure from our own guys doesn't help things either but it is what it is, the bed isn't far from our camp so I just kind of roll with the punches.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:54 am

One more quick tone, looks like photobucket axed some of my pics, basically the area is a V shapped valley with a triangle shaped cedar swamp at the bottom and a ridge going up two sides of the swamp. The does bed at the fat end of the triangle and the bucks downwind of the does near the point. In the evening the thermals come down each ridge and can mix right near the bed. So the buck can sit and sniff all day for any does in their beds, then if he doesn't smell anything good he can head up either ridge and smell anything in front of him if there is a falling thermal.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 am

Any chance for a diagram or something visual?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 am

Here you go stash, simple diagram of the bedding and the topo of the area. Buck 1 was shot chasing does in the evening close to bedding, buck 2 was shot mid-day heading downhill toward the bed, he be have been circling the bedding area to sniff for does. There is an old logging road going through this area but you can't even drive on it any longer, it was 20+ years ago and all grown over.

Several other bucks shot or seen coming to or from this area over the years, all bigwoods for a 100 miles in every direction.

Here is another similar area with two ridges surrounding a swamp, the wind swirls like crazy here but the bucks can also smell the thermals coming off the ridge. There is some open water to the right of the bed that sucks all the scent to the buck. Have to get past the swirls and setup in a location where you don't get busted by thermals too.

Edit: Ok finally dumped photobucket and things are running smooth again.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:21 am

Thanx that helps alot headgear!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”