Let the Insanity Begin!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Let the Insanity Begin!

Unread postby dan » Wed May 11, 2011 7:49 am

There is nothing wrong with hunting out of ladders and fixed position stands. To each there own... Different hunters hunt for different reasons and work for different goals...
I could see useing some permanant stands on private property in certain funnels and great spots. As far as reactions from big bucks go, its the over use, and moving them a few days before a hunt that tips those big bucks off, not really the type of stand used... At least as long as it don't make noise.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:41 pm

X2 Guy at work has killed some nice bucks from wooden ladder stands. If you saw them, you might laugh as I first did. Tree's fall and lean against other tree's all the time, and YOU WILL blend in better in a stand like that, versus looking like a 200lb squirrel nest that "just showed up". As Dan said, stand type is irrelavant if you over hunt the area. IF your going to use a ladder stand, do your best not to touch any rungs with your hands/body at deers level. Reach up 6ft or higher to grab your first touch of your hand.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:07 pm

DropTyne wrote:
JRM6868 wrote:How big is the property??? 24 stands seems like alot.

The property is about 120 acres of woods.

Don't get me wrong these guys are my friends and they are nice people. LW.

Wow that's 1 stand per 5 acres.
I know the feeling about hunting with nice people. .. Mine are family on the one farm and good friends on another but found out you can't tell them everything. Once you do stands go up everywhere and you end up hunting a ghost. One year I was hunting a 180" buck and told my friends and showed pics. I had that deer pegged morning and evening up to season. Hunted the buck and no show. After season I found out I was hunting a ghost. My BUDDY had hung a stand two days before season 75 yards above me and spooked the buck off and didn't even tell me I found out after season when I went to help him pull stands and saw it. Family did me the same way and also found out they were deleting pics off my cams. Once I figured that one out by hiding a separate IR cam I yanked my spare set of keys from them and they acted shocked that I would ask for the keys back. I definitely feel your pain.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed May 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Thats rough I can't imagine hunting with that many permanent stands all over. I bet an aerial pic of that place with the stands marked on it looks like swiss cheese!

Our family built a massive tower yrs ago on telephone poles in the center of the property, its not so bad. But in recent years they have wandered off to various corners and put up elaborate enclosed stands with woodstoves in them. The woodstoves don't seem to bother deer at all but its the fact that on our 120acres it seems like everyone is claiming almost an entire 40 due to the make up of our woods. Its definitely a pain hunting around other people who seem to stake claim in all the best spots and then ruin them on top of it. Good luck on your quest for a good buck, IMO if you don't have any real strong attraction to hold deer on the property they will probably just leave due to all the intrusion. The deer by us hate any fixed stand. Everytime they will even come close to it they check it out thoroughly.

One option may be to go to the local bar and loudly discuss the "great deal" you received on treestands and how many are now on your property. I don't condone tresspassing or thievery but it may be a good way to get them to disappear.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 11, 2011 4:21 pm

The things being mentioned in this thread are why I would never go in on a lease or property unless I had total control and final say. Of course this is why I don't have a lease or co-own land. ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 am

We draw cards before every hunt. It isn't a cure all but it keeps people from claiming areas. After you get to know your fellow hunters you can pretty much tell where they are going to go. Also, I don't like to hunt over bait but the other 3 on our lease do. I feel this is advantage for me, because I know where they will be hunting and the deer (Mature bucks) won't be ;) !
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu May 12, 2011 2:13 am

This has been a good discussion, it seems like the private land hunters have more control of the land but run into the same issues a lot of us public land hunters face. We all seem to have to deal with our own pressure and the pressure of other hunters. Like Dan pointed out, we wish other guys wouldn't hunt dumb but 10 guys hunting beast style on smaller tracks of land is going to burn a lot of bridges in a hurry and the competition would skyrocket. So while it's fun to complain about other hunters they can sometimes do us a favor by not shooting a lot of the mature bucks in the area. We do have to work harder and smarter when the pressure is on but I guess that beats trying to out hunt 10 Dan Infalt clones.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:06 am

headgear wrote:This has been a good discussion, it seems like the private land hunters have more control of the land but run into the same issues a lot of us public land hunters face. We all seem to have to deal with our own pressure and the pressure of other hunters. Like Dan pointed out, we wish other guys wouldn't hunt dumb but 10 guys hunting beast style on smaller tracks of land is going to burn a lot of bridges in a hurry and the competition would skyrocket. So while it's fun to complain about other hunters they can sometimes do us a favor by not shooting a lot of the mature bucks in the area. We do have to work harder and smarter when the pressure is on but I guess that beats trying to out hunt 10 Dan Infalt clones.

I know what your saying here. However I would rather at times hunt against 10 of Dan's clones than friends and family. Atleast you know they are hunting right and not messing up an area and possibly pushing the 1 or 2 bucks you are hunting out of the area. There's something to be said about not hunting a GHOST. Besides that I like a good challenge...That's why I deer hunt! :D
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 am

JRM6868 wrote:. Atleast you know they are hunting right and not messing up an area and possibly pushing the 1 or 2 bucks you are hunting out of the area.

Hold on now, if we are hunting this buck right aren't we totally messing up the area and burning our bridge. I would consider setting up within 50 to 100 yards of a bucks bed applying a lot more pressure then our friends/family.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:21 am

headgear wrote:
JRM6868 wrote:. Atleast you know they are hunting right and not messing up an area and possibly pushing the 1 or 2 bucks you are hunting out of the area.

Hold on now, if we are hunting this buck right aren't we totally messing up the area and burning our bridge. I would consider setting up within 50 to 100 yards of a bucks bed applying a lot more pressure then our friends/family.

Yes and no. In my opinion. A guy can hunt within 50-100 yards a bucks bed and not mess it up in my opinion. If your careful how you approach and exit and your only hunting the stand once or twice and leave it alone for 2-3 weeks and return. You may or may not mess it up. If the wind is right for the buck and the stand the buck might not be there that day. Maybe a coyote pushed him to a different bed that day or he got stuck at some other part of his home range and it got too late for him to get to this bed. If yor careful and were assuming the Dan clones are as meticulous as you getting in and out of stand sites he doesn't even know your there depending on your approach if it's not in his travel route. For instance I have a stand that I get to that is up a step bank from the east and all the deer activity is is to the west of this stand. The deer I'm hunting doesn't even know I'm there and if they do it's not enough to alarm them to leave. I'm one of the believers that no entrance in the deer woods goes unnoticed to the deer. It's just a matter of if the deer your hunting has noticed. I believe you can get in and hunt a mature deer as stated above and not be noticed and not push the deer out if your initial hunts aren't successful.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu May 12, 2011 5:50 am

This has really turned into a great read!!! Lots of different point of views out there on this topic. Good stuff for sure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 12, 2011 5:51 am

I have hunted the same propertys with my "clones" and I would rather have 10 guys hunting out of 40 ladder stands than hunt with one other guy hunting like me... When Andrea and I hunted the same farms it was a big hassle...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 12, 2011 9:09 am

This is becoming quite the wild thread. Dan, I bet when you started reading this thread you never expected to be "cloned". Let alone ten times! :lol: Can you imagine hunting with ten clones of yourself? :shock: I wonder how Carol would feel about having ten more of you around!!! :lol: :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu May 12, 2011 9:32 am

JRM6868 wrote:
Yes and no. In my opinion. A guy can hunt within 50-100 yards a bucks bed and not mess it up in my opinion.

I agree, very possible under certain circumstances, kind of like we all agreed there are never any absolutes in deer hunting. The question you have to ask yourself as it pertains to this thread is did one of the Dan clones already beat you to the spot you want to hunt and shoot the deer you are after. ;)
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 am

dan wrote:I have hunted the same propertys with my "clones" and I would rather have 10 guys hunting out of 40 ladder stands than hunt with one other guy hunting like me... When Andrea and I hunted the same farms it was a big hassle...

I guess my answer would be this. If the farm you are hunting with Andrea is small and you two are the only ones with access I would agree because ultimately you both will come to the conclusion of where the mature buck bedding is and who has the most time to put in a hunt is probably the one who will get the buck when the conditons are right to hunt the buck. IF you both come to the same conclusion. You may not. You may ultimately find 2 separate beds the buck uses for different winds etc.
The challenge in the" You vs. the Dan clone " is to see who is right and to see who is harvesting the mature buck. The downside is the fact that you two may come to the same conclusion and argue who gets to hunt there. It's alot easier to accept the fact someone did everything right in my eyes and harvested the animal before you than to have someone harvest the animal on a fluke.

The other side of the coin is the inexperienced guys pushing the buck off the property all together. They are the ones who scout in the early fall and go in and trim trees and hang stands scenting up the place because their not doing it the smart way. It does you no good to hunt a Ghost that you scouted the late winter and spring and set up stand and he not show or ever show because he is not there anymore.( I know, I hunted 2 of them in my life when propertys were limited to me). You can do your summer scouting and watch him but if people are walking through his bedroom and you don't know about it days before your hunt your wasting your time.

Each scenerio has it's downfalls but if it's me I would rather the mature deer get harvested by a Dan clone than a sloppy hunter. Atleast you know the deer is going to be there and your not wasting your time in stand for nothing; you can move on to the next deer and property.

Personally I try to have multiple deer on multiple propertys to hunt in case something like this happens.

Ultimately whether private,lease or public; people feel entitled because they buy into the land,lease it or it's public and they all feel they can go where they want and can rightly so. It's something that will never go away unless you own it outright. Even that you deal with tresspassers.

I don't believe you will ever compete against 10 Dan clones on a property, people are to lazy by nature and don't put in the time that is needed to get to be that stage of a hunter.If I had to guess the percentage would be in the 3-5% of hunters who achieve that hunting status and even that may be high.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”