Scouting buck bedding area ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Scouting buck bedding area ?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu May 05, 2011 6:42 am

How much scouting time do we have left, before we should stay out of buck bedding areas? I know this is kinda a loaded question, but what do you think about scouting in his bedding area as the summer goes on and into the fall until the season opens? (stay away from it or just scout from a distance) The thing for me is I don't have everything scouted yet and seem to be very busy lately and don't know how long before I can get out to do more scouting. Just wondering how you Beast's do all your summer into fall scouting. Thanks for your input!!!

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Scouting buck bedding area ?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 05, 2011 7:16 am

I think there is another month or two of good scouting and if your scouting new areas then I would say scout through July if you want. If you don't intend to hunt there until you scout the area first then you don't have much to lose and really I'm not sure there is a bad time to scout a new spot during the off season. Just make sure to do it all in one shot. Busting him out once is not a big deal. I like to be done by about the first week of June at the latest and ideally be done by mid april, but I will scout almost anytime I find a potential new spot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 am

beds are often hard to spot and nothing confirms its a bed like hair in it. Right now they are shedding, which makes it easier in my opinion. Also as foliage thickens, you could miss some obvious sign that isnt far from you. That being said, if you cant make it out now, Id say do your best when you can. Im not a "beast" yet, but this is my opinion. :)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am

The main reason we scout now is because its easier to see the sign... Some terrains like marsh, and sometimes hilly terrain can still be quite effective, but anytime scouting even in the summer is worthwhile. As far as how long before you hunt the bed after scouting? Yes thats a loaded question... Some guys scout and then go out the next day and kill the buck. Bump and dump for example... All I ca say is the longer you have not been around the bucks bedding area the more at ease he will be...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu May 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Scouting after green-up with the heat and bugs really becomes demanding when the target area is a thick, nasty and wet swamp. The physical exertion of penetrating a great distance into this type of habitat can get you [glow=red]dehydrated and overheated in a hurry- dangerously so.[/glow] It is much easier to become disoriented in these types of areas as well, with conifer swamps making gps difficult sometimes.

Lots of extra water, insect repellant ( a headnet makes you even hotter), topo maps and a spare compass are crucial. So is letting someone else know exactly where you are going and when to sound the alarm if you don't make it out. [glow=red]If you are allergic to bees, make sure you pack epinephrine and diphenhydramine (benadryl).[/glow]I only scout during bug season in this environment when it is absolutely necessary.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri May 06, 2011 1:20 am

Thanks for all the input!! I will keep my scouting moving forward as I have time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 am

As soon as the leaves are about half way up I shut my scouting down. I also try and avoid hot days because of the bugs/ticks. In my area I have maybe another month left depending on the weather, if the days get too warm you can always be out there at first light and enjoy the cool mornings and get out of there before the bugs start to swarm you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”