Lots of Deer Here

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Lots of Deer Here

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 pm

With all the scouting I have been doing for Turkey, just been blown away how many deer we have around here. Been running the roads about 5 miles north and 5 miles south of where I live. Lots of private ground with some public.

They opened up the county park across the lake to archery hunting last fall. The pressure was heavier than I thought, as it was announced in the newspapers, and being SE Michigan I shouldnt have been surprised by the pressure.

Amazing when season hits how they go so nocturnal. This winter the deer in the neighborhood were unreal. My neighbors are now complaining about them eating the new shoots of flowers.

Guess I have to do a better job of thinning around here.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Lots of Deer Here

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Thin them out Lou!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 am

I do kind of get the feeling that the immense hunting pressure across the entire country has forced a lot of these deer to up their game. I always see a lot of deer every season but a lot of my hunting buddies who kind of half azz it don't have anywhere near the success they use to.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:04 am

Mention it to all the whiners complaining the DNR is selling too many doe permits, or better yet QDM guys are killing all the does. :lol: I have a friend up your way between clarkston and davison, no deer is all I hear from this guy. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:45 am

Uncle Lou wrote: Guess I have to do a better job of thinning around here.

better get after it, Lou- they'll eat a lot more than shoots of flowers. When their population really gets up there, you can't hardly get rid of them, they are like overgrown rabbits. A few years ago the wife and I came home from grocery shopping (yes, I helped with grocery shopping :lol: ) on a warm, summer day to find a four (4) point eating the shrubs growning along the side of our home. I chased after him and threw a dog bone I had bought for my lab at him. Ten minutes later I knew what I would find when I went back outside... there he was again turning my shrubs into nothing but sticks. :x
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 am

You always see lots of them in the springtime. Winter is long and they are happy to be moving around again! Once hunting season comes a lot of those sightings become scarce and they wise up quick. Then hunters wonder, where the are all the deer!! :lol: They are there though!! ;) Just gotta do your homework and stay away from the masses!! 8-) Hunt like a BEAST baby!! :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Then hunters wonder, where the are all the deer!! :lol: They are there though!! ;) Just gotta do your homework and stay away from the masses!! 8-) Hunt like a BEAST baby!! :D

x2 nice
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:51 am

Last night I am planning the Holly Masacre for turkeys (3 of us to go in near a roosting area) and I cant get into position without bumping deer. Saw 10 deer just last night on a 120 acre piece I am hunting. That doesnt count all the deer that come in from the surroundings to these fields (Winter Wheat right now)

Should be good for youth season.

And I agree PLB and Stuart. After they go nocturnal, on a small piece you can only do so much with the location of your set up. Most of the planning here is around the time of your set up.
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 am

The deer get the hunting pamphlet too lol
They know when the season is open and when it's not.

Get in with them folks that are complaining about the deer eating their flowers and hunt in their back yard.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Already working on a new flower bed camo pattern. My neighbor across the street has agreed to this. Last October I was standing in the garage getting my gear ready and I hear yelling.

I look down the driveway and Tom across the street is yelling at 2 deer in his yard. I asked him, how he expects me to shoot them when he does this.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”