Wisconsin Snowmobile Trails - Big Woods Access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CEG017

Wisconsin Snowmobile Trails - Big Woods Access

Unread postby CEG017 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:53 pm

Hey Guys,

I have been doing a lot of E scouting in Northwoods Wisconsin and I know there are a ton of snowmobile trails up there that cut through big sections of public land. For guys that hunt those areas I was wondering what your opinion of those trails are in terms of access, and just hunting around them. Because they can make for easy walking, are areas around the trails places to avoid? Have only been hunting up there a handful of times and not too much on public land so I can't speak from experience on the amount of people that use those trails for hunting access.

Thanks!

218er
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin Snowmobile Trails - Big Woods Access

Unread postby 218er » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:47 pm

I’ve used them a bunch in Mn to get around but you’ll have to check them out in spring or fall. A lot of them cross swamps, creeks, water, etc and aren’t as useful as they appear from aerials at times.
Persistence is undefeated.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:15 pm

Hunting around them isnt a big deal as the trails are almost all closed till after gun season. Be careful that your not crossing private land while on the trail, just cause its a snow mobile trail does not mean its legal for you to walk down it when the trails are closed.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:15 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:Hunting around them isnt a big deal as the trails are almost all closed till after gun season. Be careful that your not crossing private land while on the trail, just cause its a snow mobile trail does not mean its legal for you to walk down it when the trails are closed.

Non-snowmobiler here; way out of the loop regarding trail use, etc. None of this affects me at this point, but I am curious how it all works for future reference.

Can anyone legally walk an (open) snowmobile trail?
I presume that some trails are managed by the DNR (Wisconsin) for public access, and others probably funded by private snowmobile clubs for member use only?
Or is that not the case?

I guess what I'm getting at is if it's legal for a snowmobiler to cross private land on an open trail, I don't see why a walking hunter can't cross the same land on the trail, as long as he doesn't hunt it until he gets back onto either Public or permitted Private lands.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:27 am

KRONIIK wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:Hunting around them isnt a big deal as the trails are almost all closed till after gun season. Be careful that your not crossing private land while on the trail, just cause its a snow mobile trail does not mean its legal for you to walk down it when the trails are closed.

Non-snowmobiler here; way out of the loop regarding trail use, etc. None of this affects me at this point, but I am curious how it all works for future reference.

Can anyone legally walk an (open) snowmobile trail?
I presume that some trails are managed by the DNR (Wisconsin) for public access, and others probably funded by private snowmobile clubs for member use only?
Or is that not the case?

I guess what I'm getting at is if it's legal for a snowmobiler to cross private land on an open trail, I don't see why a walking hunter can't cross the same land on the trail, as long as he doesn't hunt it until he gets back onto either Public or permitted Private lands.

I believe the trail has to be “open” for it to be used. Meaning, if on private land, the owner allows the trail to be used ONLY if the snowmobile trail is open.

I do think the original post was around the public land only however. But it is still a good warning of private land to be sure.

I don’t have any experience with using the trails (that I am aware of) for hunting. I am sure they are like most state land trails at that point. No reason they have to be bad for hunting, unless getting used heavily.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:52 am

I had a piece of private where the farmer allowed a snowmobile trail to run through it. Put it this way, i dreaded getting snow.

Once enough snow hit that spot was dead for the year the deer completely vacated his property. The trail got pretty heavy use but i’d bet even moderate use would drive them out. Deer get used to farmers running tractors and such but snowmobiles running noisily through the middle of the woods is a different story they run from them.
StitchandStache

Unread postby StitchandStache » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:33 am

Until the trail is open for snowmobilers (or public access during rifle season) I would not worry about hunting near it if the terrain is right for the deer. From what I have seen in the northwoods of Wi if the trail is nonmotorized there is very little pressure on them during bow season. May have a few bear hunters running baits close to the road early season but typically not much for bowhunting pressure. Hunt where deer sign is not where you think it should be.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:16 am

Snowmobile trails make easy quiet access and good jumping off point to hunt. I used them a lot when I hunted the northwoods. No different than logging roads.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:57 am

Most of the time northern wi snowmobile trails when on high ground is just a regular logging road. The only time it's just a snowmobile trail is when they cut through big cedar swamps.
Mat-Ch-155

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:22 am

I hunted a bit around a snowmobile trail last season. It was interesting. The grass grew really tall in it and deer seemed to really like that, especially early season. There was also bedding in it at the end of the summer as no one was using it beside the deer. Came October, we made the mistake of pushing too far in the woods. We should have used the trail for observation sits before moving in. I bumped deer while getting out at night. Also, those trails can get pretty muddy/wet, be prepared. Where i was, the mud was sucking my feet in, it was messing up my entry pretty bad. If you wanna use snowmobile trails for access, it might not be a good idea depending on where you are.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:44 am

Wolves use the trail systems also. They avoid deep snow when they can. Easy travel zone for killing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:09 am

Groundhunter@1 wrote:Wolves use the trail systems also. They avoid deep snow when they can. Easy travel zone for killing.

I was gonna mention that. Also noticed this by Black River Falls when I hunted there years ago. Wolves love to cruise those ATV trails. Tracks are everywhere on them. Quick and easy scent checking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”