Terrain funnels

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chaseman

Terrain funnels

Unread postby Chaseman » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:22 pm

When hunting a terrain funnel that deer travel through is it typically better to setup at the narrowest part of the funnel or at the beginning of the funnel?

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Terrain funnels

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:44 pm

Access and wind usually come into play. Ideally, the narrowest part so you can cover most or all of it.

If you're in pressured lands and targeting mature bucks, it's not uncommon for them to avoid the classic stuff. Not saying they won't. But I'll use SE Ohio as an example...if every buck traveled through classic saddles in the rut, they'd be dead. It's harder to pinpoint and predict what they'll do...I'm still trying to figure it out.

I've even watched mature does avoid or skirt good tight funnels.

I like to look for less obvious stuff that doesn't glow on maps.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:37 am

We have a funnel we have hunted the last couple of years and it is a pinch with a heavy used trail thru thick cover. The deer do not slow when going thru - and go through with purpose. Only about 50 yards long, they know it is where they are most vulnerable.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:21 am

Depends on the wind. You got to set up in a spot you can effectively hunt without reaching the deers nose b4 they hit the squeeze. Ideally the tightest spot is best but very seldom works out that way. When that’s not possible I find a good tree with lots over cover and TIGHTEN the funnel up to my advantage. Many times I will have 2 trees prepped directly across from each other so I can utilize different winds. No place I would rather be in November than a productive, funnel. Seems most here don’t like em and call them a waste. Good! Stay away lol
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:02 am

Personally I won’t hunt a spot without something pinching deer down into bow range. If they walk by out of range I’m in the wrong spot!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:27 am

I like funnels. I’ve found some really subtle funnels over the last few seasons.

I agree with others, all wind dependent and if you can be in the tightest spot that’s great.

You can always soak cams in spots like this to see what kind of action it gets in a season. I’m high hunter densities probly a great spot to get a cam stolen but in big woods middle of nowhere there’s not a lot to worry about.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:12 pm

Bio1 wrote:Personally I won’t hunt a spot without something pinching deer down into bow range. If they walk by out of range I’m in the wrong spot!

Touché!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”