Hang on stand or saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Usi05

Re: Hang on stand or saddle

Unread postby Usi05 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:14 am

MitchB wrote:
Matt G79 wrote:
Usi05 wrote:I have been saddle hunting last two seasons. I did it for safety and weight and it was fairly comfortable but I just miss sitting down man. Purchased a .5 a few weeks back and have been tinkering with it and I think it’s plenty big so I’m going to sell my predator XL platform and try .5 all next year with a killdeer harness. Will keep saddle around just in case.

3 DIY sticks plus 1 Aider, .5 and killdeer will put me around 13-14#’s and pack up nicely. Will use my waist Fanny thing during early season and may switch to Kuiu venture when more layers are needed.

All of this because I just like sitting. A saddle did cost me a good buck last year but I think it was on me for not toying with bridge height as soon as I got in stand. I just never really was super comfortable in it and feet hurt a ton. Hoping being able to stretch out in similar fashion with killdeer plus the sitting angle will be the ticket for me

I think that is what my set up will be for next year as well. Trying to decide which RCH type I may want to try and killdeer is near the top.

I used a killdeer this year and it was awesome. I’d spring for the 8mm ropes too. The whole set up was very light and slick.

With a stand? Or saddle?

MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:44 am

Usi05 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
Matt G79 wrote:
Usi05 wrote:I have been saddle hunting last two seasons. I did it for safety and weight and it was fairly comfortable but I just miss sitting down man. Purchased a .5 a few weeks back and have been tinkering with it and I think it’s plenty big so I’m going to sell my predator XL platform and try .5 all next year with a killdeer harness. Will keep saddle around just in case.

3 DIY sticks plus 1 Aider, .5 and killdeer will put me around 13-14#’s and pack up nicely. Will use my waist Fanny thing during early season and may switch to Kuiu venture when more layers are needed.

All of this because I just like sitting. A saddle did cost me a good buck last year but I think it was on me for not toying with bridge height as soon as I got in stand. I just never really was super comfortable in it and feet hurt a ton. Hoping being able to stretch out in similar fashion with killdeer plus the sitting angle will be the ticket for me

I think that is what my set up will be for next year as well. Trying to decide which RCH type I may want to try and killdeer is near the top.

I used a killdeer this year and it was awesome. I’d spring for the 8mm ropes too. The whole set up was very light and slick.

With a stand? Or saddle?

I used the killdeer as my safety harness in my Beast stand this year. And it was awesome, I wore it on the walk in and never noticed it. The ropes were small and light enough that they fit in my cargo pants pocket. I’d stick with the prussik knots on those, they worked fine for me.

I was advised to get the upgraded leg loops for comfort too. I did that, it saves you some money if you do that at time of purchase. I never used the standard leg loops so I can’t comment on those, but I loved my set up this year and don’t see it changing any time soon.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:28 am

Currently just use a Beast stand and sticks setup, but waiting on a tx minimalist 2.0 saddle.

I also got the beast stick platform adaptation

I plan to use the minimalist 2.0 as my harness even when I am not hunting saddle style and just in my beast stand, but if I want to go “run and gun” with just the saddle and beast stick platform I will be able to do that as well.

We will see how it works this will be first season trying it, but checks out to be very versatile
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:25 pm

No interest in a saddle.

Feel safest in a climber, followed by ladder, followed by ground.

Have had sticks and lock-ons shift enough (i’m >250#) thay i dont use em.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:09 am

I am going to try a Sit and Drag this year in hill country. It's a saddle for ground hunters. It weighs 9 ounces. Cost 29.00. If I don't like it my grandson can use it for a swing :lol:
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:29 am

Groundhunter@1 wrote:I am going to try a Sit and Drag this year in hill country. It's a saddle for ground hunters. It weighs 9 ounces. Cost 29.00. If I don't like it my grandson can use it for a swing :lol:

:lol:
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:23 pm

Saddle for bow, always moving. Hang ons for gun season. No right or wrong, what works for you :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
BarefootDave

Unread postby BarefootDave » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:18 pm

PApublic1187 wrote:I also got the beast stick platform adaptation

What’s this?
youtube.com/@BarefootDave_
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:59 am

BarefootDave wrote:

What’s this?

Mini platforms, go on the top of a beast stick.
https://www.huntingbeastgear.com/collec ... -platforms

I've been waiting for the 12" to come back in stock, but either they have been out of stock quite a while, or I keep missing it when they do get some in.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:10 am

Huntress13 wrote:
BarefootDave wrote:

What’s this?

Mini platforms, go on the top of a beast stick.
https://www.huntingbeastgear.com/collec ... -platforms

I've been waiting for the 12" to come back in stock, but either they have been out of stock quite a while, or I keep missing it when they do get some in.

I was waiting for a while, but it’s getting close to crunch time so I just got the 9” one for a run and gun setup with a tx 5 minimalist saddle & 4 mini beast sticks and the top one with the beast mini platform on it. Nice little light run and gun setup
UTGrad

Unread postby UTGrad » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:39 pm

Hang on and climber. I do pre sets with the Millennium hang ons and climber mobile. If I’m going to a new place, I’ll carry my LW Assault and sticks. Never had a desire to hunt from a saddle.
"When you aim always think of the arrow's exit"

Mathews Traverse
Black Eagle Carnivore
Spott Hogg Hunter
Limbdriver Micro Elite
Rage Trypan
Carter Like Mike
Lone Wolf Alpha II and Assault II
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:46 am

Saddle is more comfortable to me too. But I don't like having a tree obstruct my view. I don't like being limited to straight trees with little to no limbs at hunting height.

you can get a hang on into any tree you can get into with a saddle. The same can not be said the other way around. Leaning trees for example, in a saddle would always have you falling to the low side.

If I could pick only 1 - it's the hang on.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:10 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Saddle is more comfortable to me too. But I don't like having a tree obstruct my view. I don't like being limited to straight trees with little to no limbs at hunting height.

you can get a hang on into any tree you can get into with a saddle. The same can not be said the other way around. Leaning trees for example, in a saddle would always have you falling to the low side.

Seems like that’s always the tree I need to be in to lol. Always something wrong with it :lol:
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:43 am

PApublic1187 wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Saddle is more comfortable to me too. But I don't like having a tree obstruct my view. I don't like being limited to straight trees with little to no limbs at hunting height.

Seems like that’s always the tree I need to be in to lol. Always something wrong with it :lol:

I've been in plenty of leaning trees with a saddle and platform. I haven't found this limiting, as long as you pick the correct side and make sure to adjust your tether accordingly.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:05 am

Treestand for me. Tried a saddle and Im just not there yet. Quite a learning curve and Im not big fan how much your body profile is extending out from the tree. Maybe there's tricks to get closer, but not sure.
In a treestand I can stand up and mold right up against tree- Plus I seem to have much less movement. Not throwing out a saddle, I'm sure theres a time and place- just not sold yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”