Small openings, big timber.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Danny boy

Small openings, big timber.

Unread postby Danny boy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:28 am

It was the last day before the 2nd muzzle loader week. The deer are spooked and I haven’t seen anything all week. I recall Dan saying if you go in after him you have one chance. So you got to push them hard. So I started heading towards some thick bush. Bam , fresh buck tracks, for fingers wide. I crept up until I hit a small opening. I stopped thought about moving ahead more, but I stopped and sat where I was.1.5 hours went by and I could the crunching of frost 50 yards, 30 yards. Not steps but just a single crunch. Then I hear the foot steps, and you can tell this is the big guy I’m after. He was to the west and it was a west wind. He was milling about and could hear him nibbling on brush maybe 20 yards away. I could not see him. All of a sudden I feel the Breeze switch to an east wind for 2sec. Man he blew a storm at me. I just finished watching “small openings in big timber”. I did a lot of things right, but still am a student of the wind. I was happy enough to get close to him. This buck is a legend around this neck of the woods. No one has seen him only big tracks out in the open. Next year he is burger.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Small openings, big timber.

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:41 am

Sounds like a great encounter! Its nice to be in the game! What was learned from this exactly?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Danny boy

Re: Small openings, big timber.

Unread postby Danny boy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:34 am

I observed that in a small opening in a wood lot, that a steady wind creates a swirling pool of scent and a steady wind direction isn’t a constant in these areas. I also learned one of the bedding areas he uses during heavy pressure. I picture the wind as water dropping into the opening. Probably even more do as the air cools.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”