Goodbye TN hello Ohio

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Burningbootleather

Goodbye TN hello Ohio

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:48 am

I don't ever really post. I mostly just lurk and creep on Tennhunter to see if he's bagged a giant on public in TN (the two of us killed big deer on the same public back in 2014) but seeing as I'm going to be starting all over, I may be looking deeper into some beast tactics. The last few years my hunting time has been almost nonexistent, but when the covid conundrum happened I gave up the running around and had met a great woman recently before. I started scouting again that summer and revisiting some places from shed trips several years ago. I found a fair amount of sheds even over that summer and some unbelievable deer sign. I hung cams and the pursuit of several great deer began. Unfortunately, my job had caused me to be incredibly deprived of hunting time. I continued to watch the deer over the past three years even with low motivation to kill them. I have turned them over to others and while we have had some encounters none of us have landed one yet. Quite possibly the closest encounter being what may have been my last chance at hunting them. I found sheds to one of them in 2020 and later on a 2019 shed off the same deer so he became my main focus despite a deer in the same area outgrowing him. I had only ever seen the deer twice before (and possibly another time but uncertain.) Last weekend I had sat in stand all day Saturday and midway through Sunday morning I got out of the stand to follow a deer I had rattled in earlier, but he was very skittish and seemed more interested in what he had going on the other side of the ridge. About an hour into easing a doe bolted by me somewhere between 20-25 yards. Followed by a 7 point I had watched the day before. Followed by my target buck! I yelled but he would not stop. The seven point did however and two other bucks soon made their presence known. I waited a bit and let him have his victory. I know there is a chance i could've hung out and he may have chased her back, but at that point I was pleased with the end of my pursuit for the deer.

My wife got offered a job we couldn’t turn down in Ohio so we’ll be moving the first of the year. I have attached some highlight memories from TN and KY over the last three years and will make a point to document my OH adventures better. I have been tasked with finding a deer 180" or better within the first year. It'll be a learning curve but wish me luck because I don't know much about Ohio!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Goodbye TN hello Ohio

Unread postby Stingray713 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:39 am

Man that matched set by the creek is what dreams are made of for me! Good luck in Ohio!
Strategically Inefficient
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:32 am

Stingray713 wrote:Man that matched set by the creek is what dreams are made of for me! Good luck in Ohio!

I should’ve added that phot is definitely staged. I found them laying together behind a log on a ridge side
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:24 am

Ohio has some amazing bucks hopefully you can post some kill pics of big Ohio bucks.

Pretty sure I have 2 of those bucks you showed on cam.
But quite a few my cameras haven't found must be out of lbl or Southern regions of the wma I don't visit often.

I don't hunt the home wma much either logging has made me shift to Obion River,Big Sandy and Tumbleweed. I didn't locate much worth hunting in the wma we both hunted this year.

The big tornado messed up two areas I normally hunt.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:45 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Ohio has some amazing bucks hopefully you can post some kill pics of big Ohio bucks.

But quite a few my cameras haven't found must be out of lbl or Southern regions of the wma I don't visit often.

I don't hunt the home wma much either logging has made me shift to Obion River,Big Sandy and Tumbleweed. I didn't locate much worth hunting in the wma we both hunted this year.

Which two? Do you still hunt the park?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 am

Antlertacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:57 am

Burningbootleather wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Ohio has some amazing bucks hopefully you can post some kill pics of big Ohio bucks.

I've hunted it a few times during bow.
Now I'm mainly at Obion.

Sept 11 one and 32.

475 looks familure I may have hunted that deer last year his rack was pretty similar. On the south side of the park.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:58 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Burningbootleather wrote:

I've hunted it a few times during bow.
Now I'm mainly at Obion.

A few of those are Natchez Trace. I’ve never been to Obion
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Dunno if same but close to Sept 11 buck.

Screenshot_20221120-180328_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:10 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Dunno if same but close to Sept 11 buck.

Screenshot_20221120-180328_Gallery.jpg

The 9/11 buck is a main frame 12 with two stickers
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:19 pm

A few more from the last three years
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 pm

Screenshot_20221120-182852_Gallery.jpg
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:36 pm

This is probably one of them in Velvet.
Screenshot_20221120-183525_Gallery.jpg
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:39 am

Sorry you have to move to Ohio. My Indiana born, Florida friend refers to it as the armpit of America. I've yet to disagree.

When I arrived to Kentucky from Michigan, I was delighted in a joke one of the natives told me...

Why doesn't Kentucky slide down on top of Tennessee?
Because Ohio sucks so much!

Maybe it's just the wolverine in me...
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:39 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Sorry you have to move to Ohio. My Indiana born, Florida friend refers to it as the armpit of America. I've yet to disagree.

When I arrived to Kentucky from Michigan, I was delighted in a joke one of the natives told me...

Why doesn't Kentucky slide down on top of Tennessee?
Because Ohio sucks so much!

Maybe it's just the wolverine in me...

We loved Ohio when we visited and honesty anything is an upgrade from Memphis TN. Someone getting shot or robbed by my apartment every week. The average house around here costs $800,000 and with a masters degree my wife would start out at $35,000 vs closer to $70,000 in Ohio. I noticed the construction jobs pay much better in Ohio as well. Really nice scenery and Columbus is a great city. Well planned and everyone seemed happy to be alive.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”