I did the unspeakable...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad
500 Club

I did the unspeakable...

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:14 pm

I have a spot that I had a stud buck on camera, and then a couple weeks got eyes on him twice, with once being bedded down about 75 yards from me. I never saw him scent check the bed from down wind/thermal, and it appeared he remained in the security of his cover with the wind at his back while being able to look out into the bowl for any threats and to monitor other deer. Therefore I felt like I might be able to get up there and try to go after him. I debated whether I should sit back and try to catch him moving, or get up in shooting range of his bed. Then, on monday I made my decision. I went up and tried to sit over the bedding area. I was got in clean, set up, and waited. Soon after light I had a decent buck (but not the one I was after) come in down wind/thermal of me. He could tell something was up, but did not run off spooked... I got lucky. Throughout the morning I had multiple does, & a spike come through and every one could tell something wasn't right, but none blew or ran off appearing to be spooked. Eventually I had a nice looking young buck come in and bed down only 23 yards from me and very close to where the big dude had bedded last time I saw him. I was hoping to watch him come in and kick out the younger buck at some point, but I never saw that happen. As the morning progressed it got to the point where the thermals were starting to change and the winds were starting to shift a little, which made me a little nervous about getting busted... Then she showed up... So, I am a meat hunter normally in the first few weeks of our season and then again from mid december on, especially if I am not on a buck, but this was the first year in my short hunting "career" (this being my fourth season). I have had the philosophy I would never Ever, EVER shoot a doe soon before or during the rut. Then she stopped perfectly broadside at 30 yards with her shoulder visible between two trees that made kind of a V as if to say "take me... here I am for you and your family to enjoy"... I let it fly... she jumped and ran off until I couldn't see her. I immediately thought "oh crap... what have I done...". I didn't wait long and got down to check my arrow. I couldn't find the arrow, but to my surprise I did see a good amount of red blood with no bubbles. I was able to track the blood for about 30 yards, then went the direction she went, and found her about 75 yards from the shot. perfect heart shot. I packed her out, and now I just keep thinking about that big 12 pointer with the split G2's. Is there any possibility I will see him again? There are alot of does in the area, so that could keep him around. I had to walk through part of the bedding area to look for the doe. Is it possible he might stay in the area fi still trying to breed the does? Would he even consider using that bedding area if he can tell someone has been through there killing his girlfriends if he wasn't there at the time? Last year I hunted the area in mid december and there was chasing and grunting going on as if it were the rut, so maybe the later rut he could be around? Should I just wright of the area for the season? give it a week or two? get right back in there? or just quit hunting because I did something that possibly ruined a shot at the first buck I've ever really been trying to figure out and hunt near his bedding?

treeroot
500 Club

Re: I did the unspeakable...

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 pm

First, you got a deer be proud of it. Second if there are hot does around he'll be around somewhere. If you don't go after him chances are someone else will.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:16 pm

This time of year can be funny. The scent you laid on the ground could definitely spook the does up. The buck if he smells a hot doe he “May” not react so negatively and continue on through. Depends on how much pressure is in the area

I would change my set up a little…maybe i little ways down wind from this particular spot or down wind of the next nearest doe bedding area…or near the next nearest buck bed and get back in

Scout for HIS SIGN on your way Good luck and congrats on the doe!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:12 am

8-) :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:02 am

Keep hunting but do so sparingly
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:55 am

treeroot wrote:First, you got a deer be proud of it. Second if there are hot does around he'll be around somewhere. If you don't go after him chances are someone else will.

Oh I am very happy I got the doe for sure! At the end of last year and once this year I had missed some that I didn't think should have been misses, so I was glad to confirm that I have not become inept at shooting my bow at a deer. Also, I have had an insane amount of great encounters with big bucks this year, so I have been at peace with whatever happens this season. This year has been a great season for me even before getting one deer down. That said, this one buck is the one I have been hoping to get to since my first card pull this september. Once I got eyes on him twice in October, I knew he was my target. This is the first time I have ever hunted a specific deer in my life, so once I shot the doe I thought maybe I ruined that opportunity. I am in no way unhappy about the doe, just unhappy with the thought of ruining the shot at my first real target buck.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:59 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Keep hunting but do so sparingly

That's my plan. I was hoiing maybe he was locked down with a doe somewhere else during that time & he won't really know that I was in there, or at least not to the point that it makes him leave. It's a good spot with good deer numbers, so I won't be giving up on it. Right now looks like next tuesday or wednesday might be good for that spot, so it'd be more than a week since my last time in. If I see a better day as that approaches I'll wait till the best day.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:06 am

backstraps wrote:This time of year can be funny. The scent you laid on the ground could definitely spook the does up. The buck if he smells a hot doe he “May” not react so negatively and continue on through. Depends on how much pressure is in the area

I would change my set up a little…maybe i little ways down wind from this particular spot or down wind of the next nearest doe bedding area…or near the next nearest buck bed and get back in

Scout for HIS SIGN on your way Good luck and congrats on the doe!!

Thanks! I know there is some pressure in there, but I don't know if anyone else has been hunting in this particular area. I have a feeling I'm the most aggressive hunter that is using the area. I did see another decent buck come through a little further down the drainage on the same day I shot the doe & that could be a good spot with dropping thermals. There was another spot quite a ways further down the drainage that I had a nice buck blow at me that was about 150-200 yards farther down the drainage the time I hunted it before that. I may even need to get that far down there... I've definitely got some planning to do. I think when the rut is over I will put some cameras back up in areas I'd expect to catch him moving, just to see if he's even still around. You never know, someone else may have taken him down by now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”