Oldranks 2022 deer camp.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Oldranks 2022 deer camp.

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:54 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the 6 pr my cousin killed. I kept catching them come across the road on my way home. He adjusted and made his move today too. We are looking at large movements and how that time line lined up to adjacent ridges, valleys, funnels and our scouting. He did great and it was his first public land buck. He always hunts private, but I think he is hooked now. He found a lone wolf sit and climb at a garage sale for 25 dollars....lol.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:10 pm

Image Here is a doe coming into the micro thicket. She layed down back to one of those tree clumps.

Image Here she is bedding. I watched a few doe groups do this same thing in different areas. They would stay bedded till about 3:30 or 4 then get up and move off. They were following hill bedding rules... except her nose was in the wind. Almost all natural movement I seen was into the wind or crosswind. Most of the does still followed the 1/3rd line while running while being chased. It wasn't one particular elevation but more like any hill they moved across They wanted to be below the crest. That was big for me cause I noticed that pattern quickly and put it in my plan.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:36 pm

ihookem wrote:OldRank, you no doubt are a better hunter than me. However , you have a lot more deer there than where I hunt in N.W. Wisconsin. Do you ever hunt Upper Michigan?

I dont feel I am a better hunter than anyone. Ranking ourselves as good or great is so open to interpretation. Hunting is not an even playing field. Everyone is dealt a different hand. I try to make the best out of the hand I'm dealt. The main thing I want to accomplish is to just enjoy myself and have good times with friends n family.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:40 pm

ihookem wrote:That is an awful lot of deer for that far north . I am also surprised at all the hunters you seen.

It is because of our gun opener starting today. Lots of guys are up here setting up camps. Compared to what I see back home I would say the pressure has been pretty low. It's been pretty simple to navigate around it.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:55 pm

Looks like one heck of a good time. Congrats to you guys on the bucks too. A deer camp is a wonderful thing to have that you can’t really explain how great it is to those that have never been.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:59 am

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:35 am

Congrats Old rank! Looks like fun hunting up there. I should get up there someday. I killed my first two deer in northern mi in the 90s.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:46 am

Hawthorne wrote:Congrats Old rank! Looks like fun hunting up there. I should get up there someday. I killed my first two deer in northern mi in the 90s.

Thanks man, it's been humbling and fun learning new terrain. It's definitely a whole different game than southern Michigan. For me the vastness was overwhelming at first. We just had to figure out how to make big small. I can't wait to do some scouting after season.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:00 pm

Old Rank, I hope I am not bothering you, however, I have been wanting to hunt Upper Michigan since me and my dad promised each other we would in 1993. Dad and I , to my regret never did. I have always wanted to buy a chunk up there. I have been there many times, being from Wisconsin. I see that below HWY 2, the numbers are pretty good. I dont want to get above the half way line between Lake Michigan and Lake Superior . I think that is where the snow belt really turns on and deer numbers collapse. I hate to ask, but what county are you hunting ? You must not be too far north to see all those deer. Many Yoopers say there deer are all gone,,, bears bobcats, wolves coyotes is the same story, but when I go there, at least around Rapid River, there is no shortage of deer. I imagine you are hunting just north of the bridge and you mentioned farm fields. I am mostly looking in Delta Co. , not just cause of deer numbers, but just as important, the Bay De Noc's has just a few nice fish in it. ( insert wink face). .. I am amazed at the numbers of deer you seen even if it is the rut.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:29 am

ihookem wrote:Old Rank, I hope I am not bothering you, however, I have been wanting to hunt Upper Michigan since me and my dad promised each other we would in 1993. Dad and I , to my regret never did. I have always wanted to buy a chunk up there. I have been there many times, being from Wisconsin. I see that below HWY 2, the numbers are pretty good. I dont want to get above the half way line between Lake Michigan and Lake Superior . I think that is where the snow belt really turns on and deer numbers collapse. I hate to ask, but what county are you hunting ? You must not be too far north to see all those deer. Many Yoopers say there deer are all gone,,, bears bobcats, wolves coyotes is the same story, but when I go there, at least around Rapid River, there is no shortage of deer. I imagine you are hunting just north of the bridge and you mentioned farm fields. I am mostly looking in Delta Co. , not just cause of deer numbers, but just as important, the Bay De Noc's has just a few nice fish in it. ( insert wink face). .. I am amazed at the numbers of deer you seen even if it is the rut.

I am in the Northern lower peninsula.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:35 am

November 15th was opening day. Jay n I had to take a break from killing bucks. This life ain't easy.....

Haha!!!

Anyhow seriously we took the day off. My body needed a rest, hiking, hunting all day n dragging bucks will take a toll on ya. I got a great night's sleep. We did alot of cyber scouting yesterday. We are sticking to the micro thicket theory. We will be back at it tonight. I have a doe tag in my pocket. Jay has 1 doe tag n a buck tag. My buddy Josh is on his way up n will be joining us for the rest of the week. I also think it's shower day..lol. I told Jay I don't think I stink but I would like his opinion on it. He declined to smell me.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:05 am

A few pics of the camp. Trailer is a 1955 Detroit Buddy. It's about 46'x8'. We are off the grid. Wood heat, generator and marine batteries power. We have all of our basic needs covered including tv, microwave, cooking stoves and radio.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:58 am

oldrank wrote:Image

A few pics of the camp. Trailer is a 1955 Detroit Buddy. It's about 46'x8'. We are off the grid. Wood heat, generator and marine batteries power. We have all of our basic needs covered including tv, microwave, cooking stoves and radio.

You're living the dream!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:04 am

Just got back from a scouting mission. We got a fresh snow last night so sign is easy to see and fresh. It's really cool how the deer are pushed into tight pockets. Pressure is a big key. The areas with deer camps n cabins or trails that are getting truck traffic are basically void of deer sign. The main road edges seem hot and anything that can line up to a secluded for source is hot. Again hills n thickets are big. Getting a game plan for tonight and getting ready to head out.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:06 am

stash59 wrote:
oldrank wrote:Image

You're living the dream!!!!

I'm enjoying it !!! It's been a great time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”