Hunting Military Crests

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chris.133

Hunting Military Crests

Unread postby Chris.133 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:15 pm

Any tips on hunting Military Crests ? I killed a 7 point last year with my stand positioned above it looking down towards the crest this year I have a small kill plot on the top of the ridge but a stand below the crest looking up towards it

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Hunting Military Crests

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:35 pm

If it’s the upper most crest/bench on a ridge I have noticed that mature bucks are more likely to travel below the bench/crest where it is usually thicker/steeper in the woods I hunt. And they are out of range/sight from anyone hunting the top. The younger bucks will travel where it’s easiest.
Just an observation not a rule by any means and probably different if it’s thicker above the crest.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Hunting Military Crests

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:56 am

If you are hunting the crest in the afternoon/evening, you have to play the thermals. Generally, the bucks will be able to smell you from above.

Obviously each terrain is different, so not enough info for exact recommendations. Just keep thermals and expected buck travel in mind most importantly.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”