Thermals and shade

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Thermals and shade

Unread postby LukeTM » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:48 am

I apologize if this has been covered. I didn’t see anything in my search and don’t recall it being talked about.

Recently, I’ve thrown a few sits at this spot. It holds timber to the south and marsh grass with pockets of willows, alder and aspen to the north. There is no standing water here. It’s worth mentioning that this has been early season where the days are long and the sun is strong. I’ve been hunting this spot right on the tree edge (south edge of the marsh) with wind out of the north-ish. Both nights, as the sun went down, the milkweed showed that the thermals were pulling north. The only thing I could think was that the warmth of the sun baked marsh grasses were pulling the cool air out of the shaded timber. I did not consider this phenomenon which cost me a couple opportunities.
Thoughts? Anyone else observe this?

I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
PK_
500 Club

Re: Thermals and shade

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:51 am

LukeTM wrote:I apologize if this has been covered. I didn’t see anything in my search and don’t recall it being talked about.

Recently, I’ve thrown a few sits at this spot. It holds timber to the south and marsh grass with pockets of willows, alder and aspen to the north. There is no standing water here. It’s worth mentioning that this has been early season where the days are long and the sun is strong. I’ve been hunting this spot right on the tree edge (south edge of the marsh) with wind out of the north-ish. Both nights, as the sun went down, the milkweed showed that the thermals were pulling north. The only thing I could think was that the warmth of the sun baked marsh grasses were pulling the cool air out of the shaded timber. I did not consider this phenomenon which cost me a couple opportunities.
Thoughts? Anyone else observe this?

I would expect the thermals to pull North dusk-dawn if you are on the south edge of the marsh. But there may be more to it than that…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”