Hiding sign

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Hiding sign

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:17 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Wait to get in your late 50's. You will find a lot of people annoying. For most part.

Heck I’m there already at almost 54 :lol:

Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:53 pm

hiding sign in such a way seems ridiculous to me for many reasons. Wouldn't tampering with rubs and scrapes alter the bucks patterns too? I mean if just stepping foot in an area and leaving scent can alter a pattern, doing that plus messing with their ways of communication seems like it would be even more disruptive. I know the deer can tell if I was in an area, but I try to minimize any intrusion. I'd prefer the deer keep acting like they want to act normally.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:57 pm

Brad wrote:hiding sign in such a way seems ridiculous to me for many reasons. Wouldn't tampering with rubs and scrapes alter the bucks patterns too? I mean if just stepping foot in an area and leaving scent can alter a pattern, doing that plus messing with their ways of communication seems like it would be even more disruptive. I know the deer can tell if I was in an area, but I try to minimize any intrusion. I'd prefer the deer keep acting like they want to act normally.

Yet guys pee in scrapes and bucks go crazy ripping them up later and sometimes even the same day. I don’t make a habit of doing that but some do with success. There are no absolutes in the deer woods.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:00 pm

I find most times the deer are not on sign they are in areas void of people scent which most sign attracts. I will take a distinctive land feature that pressured deer would use over all the sign in the woods. Before I got sick I was just starting to put the puzzle together and now I'm just starting to be able to access a few of these areas. Being I'm a ground hunter now my setups look alot different but after a year of learning what not to do I'm starting to get close to consistency again I feel. Granted I'm only targeting 2-3 year old bucks but my disability won't let me get in most of those rugged areas the true monarchs live in my part of the world.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:10 pm

I've marked out tracks in certain areas to keep others from seeing them, and that's about it. Never messed with rubs or scrapes.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:14 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Wait to get in your late 50's. You will find a lot of people annoying. For most part.

:lol:

Truth
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:54 pm

Never knew this was a thing. I guess if I think somebody else might see the sign I’m looking at, then I’m in the wrong spot to begin with.
Strategically Inefficient
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:41 am

I just take a 12 pack of Natty lights, drink them all and throw all the cans around. Seems to work too. :lol:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:39 am

I'd just say that some folks need to relax on the "ethical" definition - we all aren't made the same nor raised the same.
Having one deer tag, gut shooting a buck and then tagging a diff buck you shot while tracking the first one is unethical. Obscuring sign isn't far as I'm concerned.

I'll step on tracks at a road crossing, but not every track there.

Funny how ethical and moral definitions trend to accepted practices. So in an area with headhunters, the ethical or moral behaviors would trend towards eating people. LOL!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:10 am

If its illegal to cut trees on the land that your referring to that he is doing so on, then yes, I would say unethical. I found a couple of trees that were sawed off at ground level in one general area for no apparent reason this year while spring scouting, I am guessing they all had "good" rubs on them, at least that is the best guess that I can come up with.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:15 pm

I do the opposite. I make fake rubs on trees and save big buck hooves to make fake tracks. I just like to spread hope for fellow public land hunters…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:53 pm

PK_ wrote:I do the opposite. I make fake rubs on trees and save big buck hooves to make fake tracks. I just like to spread hope for fellow public land hunters…

We need a Like Button on the forum, been guilty of doing the same for about 62 years. Praying for all of y'all in Florida, hunker down. Hope the hurricane doesn't do to much damage to your honey holes, Hurricane Laura in 2020 wiped out 5 of my best spots here in Central Louisiana. Hunting these areas since 1954.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:08 pm

So what’s worse, hiding real sign or making fake sign in the hopes people will hunt over that instead of in your spot?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:52 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:So what’s worse, hiding real sign or making fake sign in the hopes people will hunt over that instead of in your spot?

Depends if you played sports growing up or think that we should all share.

Ever run into the flagging tape guys? Tape everywhere w names on it, supposed to keep everyone else out.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:26 am

Hooks1 wrote:
PK_ wrote:I do the opposite. I make fake rubs on trees and save big buck hooves to make fake tracks. I just like to spread hope for fellow public land hunters…

We need a Like Button on the forum, been guilty of doing the same for about 62 years. Praying for all of y'all in Florida, hunker down. Hope the hurricane doesn't do to much damage to your honey holes, Hurricane Laura in 2020 wiped out 5 of my best spots here in Central Louisiana. Hunting these areas since 1954.

Haha. I was joking, I just think people being so heavily opinionated about something so trivial is strange. But hey, it is what it is.

I step on every big buck track I find on public, always have. Never even crossed my mind that it was unethical in some people’s minds. If you want to find sign, scout where nobody else scouts, which is getting harder these days…

Thanks, I am not in the direct path of the storm but have many friends who are. Most are prepared, we’ll see how it goes.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”