Shoot a doe early or late?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Shoot a doe early or late?

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 am

Where’s buttonbuck? That guy has some hilarious wisdom on shooting and the tastiness of does

Strategically Inefficient
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:03 am

Stingray713 wrote:I always see better rut activity in spots where the buck to doe ratio is as close to 1:1 as it can get.

Places with lots of does, sometimes it’s hard to see much action.

I like shooting young does early and late.

Last season I saw and heard grunting and chasing going on in late december in a spot that is loaded with does and fawns. I wouldn't expect much of that in a spot with less does and fawns that had not been bred yet. The less does, the more likely they've been bred earlier I would think... but I could be wrong.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:15 am

Brad wrote:
Stingray713 wrote:I always see better rut activity in spots where the buck to doe ratio is as close to 1:1 as it can get.

Last season I saw and heard grunting and chasing going on in late december in a spot that is loaded with does and fawns. I wouldn't expect much of that in a spot with less does and fawns that had not been bred yet. The less does, the more likely they've been bred earlier I would think... but I could be wrong.

No your right. I just don’t get to count on much of a secondary rut where I live. The deer get chased by dogs starting in mid November. So I’m not letting a tasty young doe walk in early October hoping she’ll come into estrous in December. Most likely she’ll get chased by a pack of beagles and get shot so I’m letting her off easy.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 am

Brad wrote:

I need a tight, fast and furious rut. Natural deer movement is no more after Thanksgiving. And I think it’s better for the overall deer herd. Tight rut means fawns dropping at the same time. Not getting gobbled up by bears and coyotes every couple weeks throughout the summer.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:22 am

Neither. I haven’t shot a doe since 2007. Every year I think maybe I will but always let them walk since I don’t want to ruin a buck hunt. Yesterday while hunting on the ground I was at full draw on a doe at 8 ft but just couldn’t get myself to hit the trigger on my release. Getting soft in my old age. I believe in keeping does around for the rut. Nothing kills rut action more if the doe population is majorly depleted and not only for breeding but for producing future bucks. In high population areas that’s a different story. I’ve never hunted in those.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:23 am

Early.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:10 am

You may effect the population slightly, but keep in mind that the land has a certain carrying capacity. There is a limit to how many does will inhabit an area, and I don’t think one doe off of a property is going to make any difference.

I will say though, that having a place with a lot of does makes for a lot of late season daytime buck activity. Lots of adult does get missed the first time around in the breeding cycle. The main farm I hunt generally holds 100+ deer, and the bucks get more daylight active as the season goes on. That includes after the main rut. Lots of breeding happens through December at that farm.

I’d say do whatever you feel like. I don’t think it makes a ton of difference.
Creek Duck

Unread postby Creek Duck » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:58 am

Depends on the particular property and health of the heard...... but my home state makes you shoot a doe first to (earn) a buck in the early season. I'm personally not a fan of killing pregnant doe with the sack being visible or while they still have this years fawns with them but I've done both more than once during my younger days. My state has very liberal deer limits where some zones you can kill unlimited doe but I choose not to shoot any because of the numbers of doe I personally see are way down. In the end you gotta choose what's right for you and your area.
what one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:07 pm

I like to get it out of the way ASAP unless I'm in a buck's core area. We have an early private land doe hunt here each year in September and if I can take a doe then, I'm happy cause then I can focus 100% on bucks in the real season. And December is cold in northern MI, lol, I love hunting that time of year cause I want to, not cause I have to.

I also agree with the logic of taking does early to improve the buck:doe ratio. Every little bit helps and if he has one less doe in the area, he will probably be on his feet a little bit more. Or maybe not, maybe he knows that doe you kill early is gone, or more likely, he knows who is there and has to travel a little less.

I saw a qdma presentation once and I forget the breakdown in ages, but once does reach a certain age, their offspring are almost 100% doe fawns. So shoot the old does and pass on the younger ones if you have options.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:40 pm

Trout wrote:I like to get it out of the way ASAP unless I'm in a buck's core area. We have an early private land doe hunt here each year in September and if I can take a doe then, I'm happy cause then I can focus 100% on bucks in the real season. And December is cold in northern MI, lol, I love hunting that time of year cause I want to, not cause I have to.

I also agree with the logic of taking does early to improve the buck:doe ratio. Every little bit helps and if he has one less doe in the area, he will probably be on his feet a little bit more. Or maybe not, maybe he knows that doe you kill early is gone, or more likely, he knows who is there and has to travel a little less.

I saw a qdma presentation once and I forget the breakdown in ages, but once does reach a certain age, their offspring are almost 100% doe fawns. So shoot the old does and pass on the younger ones if you have options.

For real? I’ve never heard of old does only producing doe fawns.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:46 pm

I have no emotional attachment to does. Around here they are splattered up and down the roads everywhere. Putting one or 2 in my freezer makes zero impact. I shoot them when and where I want.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:00 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Trout wrote:I like to get it out of the way ASAP unless I'm in a buck's core area. We have an early private land doe hunt here each year in September and if I can take a doe then, I'm happy cause then I can focus 100% on bucks in the real season. And December is cold in northern MI, lol, I love hunting that time of year cause I want to, not cause I have to.

Yeah I’ve never heard of this and am 99.999999% sure it’s not true. If you’ve got research, I’d like to see it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:04 pm

A doe is a doe. Has 4 legs, 2 backstraps and taste great. Time of year changes none of those.

If you want to shoot one, take the opportunity when it presents itself. If you don’t want to, don’t. Some areas need some taken out, some shouldn’t have any taken out, and some it wouldn’t be bad to take 1-2 if you will use them.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pm

I will never not pass up a doe if my fingers itchy or im ok getting one out, i just love shootin them. For sure when one blows at me n gives me a shot its execution time. Rut i generally let them walk but that could change in an instant lol.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:11 pm

thwack16 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Yeah I’ve never heard of this and am 99.999999% sure it’s not true. If you’ve got research, I’d like to see it.

Let me check with the guy I went with, I'm pretty sure he took a pic of that slide in the presentation.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”