Primary scrapes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chizfo

Primary scrapes?

Unread postby chizfo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:57 am

Well it’s opening week here in Missouri. I found what I think is a community tree. There’s what looks like two scrapes and above the scrapes two licking branches. The type of tree is a pin oak. And it’s tore up with rubs on near by immature smaller trees.

Anyone have any experience finding primary scrapes? Could I have found a community scrape tree? It’s a marsh setting.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Primary scrapes?

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:32 am

It very well could be. Can you tell if there are licking bracnhes from previous seasons? Any scrapes this early should get serious attention- especially if its on the fringes of dense cover. Typically with scrapes this early, its by a buck thas been through a couple breeding seasons and is already laying his mark. How big and tall are the rubs?
chizfo

Unread postby chizfo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:49 am

The rubs are about waist high, I’m 5’9”. But early season rubs are good sign imo. Also, there are multiple trails diverging from the thick willows to this pin oak.
Tons of immature sycamore trees in the area as well, good diverse plants in the area.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:52 am

Id be throwing a sit at it, especially if the sign is hot and fresh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”